Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson model E

Hh121

Banned
View attachment 114257 View attachment 114258 View attachment 114259 View attachment 114260 View attachment 114261 Greetings All:
I’ll toss my “E” in here because i love this monster. The leather on this one is so much different to feel than any of my others. Maybe because it’s an older one. Idk. I’m no expert but there is just something about this one that really does it for me. Heavy? Oh yeah! Drapes? Oh yeah! It’s a keeper!!
Let’s see some more.
Be well. Bowen

How heavy is this beast?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 114257 View attachment 114258 View attachment 114259 View attachment 114260 View attachment 114261 Greetings All:
I’ll toss my “E” in here because i love this monster. The leather on this one is so much different to feel than any of my others. Maybe because it’s an older one. Idk. I’m no expert but there is just something about this one that really does it for me. Heavy? Oh yeah! Drapes? Oh yeah! It’s a keeper!!
Let’s see some more.
Be well. Bowen
Ha. @8.5lb with hanger. I’d say +-1lb due to cheap fish scale. No idea what most weigh.
Bowen

Let’s see some more.
Be well. Bowen

I got the same jacket— it...is...awesome!

EDIT: Thats about the right weight. 8ish lbs

Hh121

Banned
Interesting, my LW J23 is 8.2 lbs which Stuart claim it's 4.5oz but I doubt it, if it is really 4.5oz it should weight around 9 or 10 lbs.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I got the same jacket— it...is...awesome!

EDIT: Thats about the right weight. 8ish lbs
Thanks JMax:
Is your E the same label type/age? If so i would assume it’s “feel” would be similar. Any idea what is different with these? The leather tanning? The finish? Mine sure feels like HH but nothing like my old Cal Leathers or my newer Vanson CHP with the flag label. Just trying to learn. Opinions?
Be well. Bowen

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How did you make them use these particular hardware & this leather?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The gray jacket was an ebay find for under $200. I eventually flipped it for 3 times that amount to a dude in Germany. It's that single example that I can show my wife and say "SEE...I told you it's not all wasted money" :p

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I would have paid 4x lol.

Thanks JMax:
Is your E the same label type/age? If so i would assume it’s “feel” would be similar. Any idea what is different with these? The leather tanning? The finish? Mine sure feels like HH but nothing like my old Cal Leathers or my newer Vanson CHP with the flag label. Just trying to learn. Opinions?
Be well. Bowen

I have to check the label on mine, it is in my closet. I have no idea what changed in the process but something must of. Mine wears like typical Competition Weight stuff but finished a bit like their X-150, a bit "glossier". Not full on X-150 gloss, which I love, but not as "muted" as my other comp. weight jackets. I leave the speculation as to why this may be to the experts here, I would just be talking out of my a$$.

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
I'd pay 5 times to have it back. Another stupid, impulsive move. The kind I'm famous for.

Same here... The first real nice leather jacket I ever purchased was a Vanson Highwayman. Before that all I knew was Wilson Leather fashion jackets, and First Manufacturing for riding. Then I discovered Vanson and it totally changed my understanding of quality, fit, protection, etc. I purchased my Vanson as a gift to myself for finishing grad school. I wore the heck out of that jacket. That jacket had an aroma to it that I would have bottled and made into cologne if I could have. Then I decided I wanted a Langlitz and sold the "E" to help fund it. What a mistake! The Langlitz fit horribly and while I was issued a refund, tragically the Highwayman was gone. It's been about five years and I'm still mad at myself. If I could ever find another Highwayman that fit like my old one and was similar in leather quality I'd buy it without hesitation.

roadking04

Practically Family
I am really considering another Vanson, thanks Ton. My first Vanson experience was horrible. I went custom, never fit right. That was back in my lifting days, and those days are long gone (major shoulder damage). I think that was part of the fit problem. I am thinking an "off the rack" size might fit better. Sometimes customizing and tweeking numbers cause more problems.

HH, I am considering a j23 from lost worlds. How was it ON the bike? Does it seal out wind and rain?

Ton, I was also considering an Aero j106. How is that one ON the bike? It looks awesome off. Does it function well as an mc jacket?

All these good things about Vanson want me to try again. For some reason, their action backs never retract. All the ones I see are puffed out? Another minor side note, The shoulders look kinda weird on most. The shoulders on mine were all jacked up looking when I rode..Kinda hard to describe.

I am really considering another Vanson, thanks Ton. My first Vanson experience was horrible. I went custom, never fit right. That was back in my lifting days, and those days are long gone (major shoulder damage). I think that was part of the fit problem. I am thinking an "off the rack" size might fit better. Sometimes customizing and tweeking numbers cause more problems.

HH, I am considering a j23 from lost worlds. How was it ON the bike? Does it seal out wind and rain?

Ton, I was also considering an Aero j106. How is that one ON the bike? It looks awesome off. Does it function well as an mc jacket?

All these good things about Vanson want me to try again. For some reason, their action backs never retract. All the ones I see are puffed out? Another minor side note, The shoulders look kinda weird on most. The shoulders on mine were all jacked up looking when I rode..Kinda hard to describe.
Man I'll be honest. I sold BOTH my j 23 and multiple j106 and kept the model E ('s). it's bar none the best on a bike. And damn good off. I considered them to be like those fuzzy b-3, b-6 type jackets in terms of warmth. Not good for summer riding but ideal for fall and spring.

Hh121

Banned

My j23: Great hide, construction, but still feel restricted when you move around, and I am not ride motorcycle. Nothing compared to my Vanson model b, but it is Lost Worlds, fancy and heavy horsehide(Yes it is windproof and water repellent and the quited lining is warm), expensive (almost $700 more than Vanson highwayman!!), and gives you "instant masculinity" ( According to Stuart)

roadking04

Practically Family
Thanks Ton And Hh. It is very helpful to hear from guys that have had multiple jackets.

I guess I am a cross zip junkie. I have always loved the style. I am looking for/ saving up for another one.

I love the look of the Aero cxl. I think they have the best looking hide out there. All their patterns seem a bit off for m/c use.

Lost worlds seem to have the thickest leather, but it doesn't look like it ages EVER! Their patterns also seem a bit off for m/c use.

I am giving a hard look at Vanson and Langlitz. Havent ruled out Bates, but not much info out there.

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
Thanks Ton And Hh. It is very helpful to hear from guys that have had multiple jackets.

I guess I am a cross zip junkie. I have always loved the style. I am looking for/ saving up for another one.

I love the look of the Aero cxl. I think they have the best looking hide out there. All their patterns seem a bit off for m/c use.

Lost worlds seem to have the thickest leather, but it doesn't look like it ages EVER! Their patterns also seem a bit off for m/c use.

I am giving a hard look at Vanson and Langlitz. Havent ruled out Bates, but not much info out there.

I've owned Vanson, Langlitz, Aero and Lost Worlds... For pure motorcycles riding you can't beat a Vanson. Not only is it the most cost effective, but I personally think it is the most rider friendly. I know people will say that Langlitz is custom made to be comfortable on the bike, but I've ordered two and neither fit right. One was actually measured at Langlitz in Portland and still didn't fit. One was off so much they couldn't alter it, and the other they tried but ultimately refunded my purchase. You won't find a better built jacket than Lost Worlds but the HH is thick and takes a long time to break it. Mine is in a ball on the floor trying to break the leather's memory. If you do order a LW's J23, get the belt as you'll need it to seal up the bottom.

sweetfights

I've owned Vanson, Langlitz, Aero and Lost Worlds... For pure motorcycles riding you can't beat a Vanson. Not only is it the most cost effective, but I personally think it is the most rider friendly. I know people will say that Langlitz is custom made to be comfortable on the bike, but I've ordered two and neither fit right. One was actually measured at Langlitz in Portland and still didn't fit. One was off so much they couldn't alter it, and the other they tried but ultimately refunded my purchase. You won't find a better built jacket than Lost Worlds but the HH is thick and takes a long time to break it. Mine is in a ball on the floor trying to break the leather's memory. If you do order a LW's J23, get the belt as you'll need it to seal up the bottom.
The J23 is very nice from Lost World's .

red devil

Seeing all the Vanson love and of course all the amazing pictures makes me want one :)

I rode with the suburban and it was pretty functional, not really an MC jacket but it does the job and keeps you dry under the rain. It was good to see the other rider wearing a fabric jacket having a wet sleeve while I was completely dry :D

As for aging, after about 2 years, my suburban is looking better and better, granted it's not the heaviest at 3.5 or 4 oz. I guess knowing that this jacket is indestructible and using it without any care is the best way to treat it.

sweetfights

Seeing all the Vanson love and of course all the amazing pictures makes me want one :)

I rode with the suburban and it was pretty functional, not really an MC jacket but it does the job and keeps you dry under the rain. It was good to see the other rider wearing a fabric jacket having a wet sleeve while I was completely dry :D

As for aging, after about 2 years, my suburban is looking better and better, granted it's not the heaviest at 3.5 or 4 oz. I guess knowing that this jacket is indestructible and using it without any care is the best way to treat it.

No care required at all! I too rode with a Suburban. No problems at all. I also rode with the Roadhouse- even better with the football under arms. The Roadhouse is a under appreciated design in my opinion. Those football under arms really add to arm mobility. I wish more jackets had them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner