Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson model E

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No care required at all! I too rode with a Suburban. No problems at all. I also rode with the Roadhouse- even better with the football under arms. The Roadhouse is a under appreciated design in my opinion. Those football under arms really add to arm mobility. I wish more jackets had them.

Went to check it, thanks!

roadking04

Practically Family
I was planning on getting a model e this fall, but Vanson is running a sale this weekend! I will have to put my plan into effect a little earlier than thought.

My big question is about fit. Do these fit snug, or a little loose? My chest is at 47" right now. I need/plan to drop about 10-15lbs in the next month or so. I wanted to wait another month or two, but it is hard to pass up 15%off.

If they fit snug, I would go with the 48, if they have some wiggle room, I would drop down to a 46.
This will be a riding jacket all the way.

I was planning on getting a model e this fall, but Vanson is running a sale this weekend! I will have to put my plan into effect a little earlier than thought.

My big question is about fit. Do these fit snug, or a little loose? My chest is at 47" right now. I need/plan to drop about 10-15lbs in the next month or so. I wanted to wait another month or two, but it is hard to pass up 15%off.

If they fit snug, I would go with the 48, if they have some wiggle room, I would drop down to a 46.
This will be a riding jacket all the way.
They fit snug. Mine were all 44's with exception of one 42" that was way too small. I could go up to a 46" in this pattern without swimming in it.
Best riding jacket on the planet imho.

roadking04

Practically Family
Thanks for your VALUED opinion. I think most of your other jackets are a size 42. I was hoping they fit a little snug. The 46 has a back measurement of 26", the 48 has a back measurement of 27.5".

I have a couple of ill fitting jackets. I took them out in the humidity to test the back length. The minimum I could get away with would be 26". I think the larger size would be plenty in back length. Not much worse than a short back length in late November in Cleveland.

I am definitely getting one this weekend, its just a matter of size. I called Vanson after work to get some help. The girl was new and really didn't know much. I knew the forum would be a great help. I just hope they didn't "compromise" on their comp. weight leather. Thanks again Ton.

Here is how I calculate my Vanson chest size, where you have to look at what Vanson calls ease for off the rack, online orders. On the E, with its 6 or 7 or so inches of “ease”, a 42, which my E is, essentially measures out to 48/49 inches. For a comfortable snug fit I want around 5 inches to move/breathe. My chest measurement is 43. My 44 fit good but I prefer snug riding jackets. I roll hard on the highway with tall apes and no windshield lol.

Keep calling until you speak with someone with a clue, they are there. Somewhere. Good luck my man.

Edit:: I looked at all my Vanson and on my riding jackets my sweet spot is 5-6 inches up from my chest measurement.

Last edited:
Yes, on my riding jackets. Check out the fit notes on vanson’s website. They are located in a sub tab at the bottom within each particular jacket’s page.

I would call Vanson and ask to speak with someone that can work with you. They also will give you the other standard measurements for each style. I did and then we worked everything out as to preferred fit over the phone. Fit for the different styles and purposes I was considering.

One thing I failed to mention and to me it's really what makes the model E a fit winner is the back laces. They extend further up the back than the CHP which allows the wearer to really dial in the fit throughout the entire torso, not just the waist.

roadking04

Practically Family
Yes, on my riding jackets. Check out the fit notes on vanson’s website. They are located in a sub tab at the bottom within each particular jacket’s page.

I would call Vanson and ask to speak with someone that can work with you. They also will give you the other standard measurements for each style. I did and then we worked everything out as to preferred fit over the phone. Fit for the different styles and purposes I was considering.

Thanks JMax. I am gonna try and call again today. I did see the fit notes on their web page, I really didn't understand the ease part to be honest. I am pretty locked in on the "E". I love the traditional look and FUNCTION of cross zips. It is really hard to buy a jacket online without trying it on. Plus you never really know until you do 75mph down the highway.

roadking04

Practically Family
The other option is to call and see if they can tweak one to closer to your requested measurements for back length? Edit: and sleeve length.

In addition to the E, the Thunderbird also is sweet.

roadking04

Practically Family
One thing I failed to mention and to me it's really what makes the model E a fit winner is the back laces. They extend further up the back than the CHP which allows the wearer to really dial in the fit throughout the entire torso, not just the waist.

You are right Ton. I have had jackets with a belt, and jackets with the lacing, but never a jacket with BOTH. I always liked the laces because you could tighten them up in the warmer weather and let them out in the cold to layer. I think with the belt also, you can really ratchet it down.

I agree with JMax, I like my riding jackets just a LITTLE on the tight side. Also have to consider comp. weight leather is no joke and you have to be able to have some mobility.

You do have me talked into the "E" for sure. Cross zip, heavy leather, action back, heavy duty hardware, side laces AND belt, plenty of pockets, definitely a serious jacket. I just hope the fit is good.

You are right Ton. I have had jackets with a belt, and jackets with the lacing, but never a jacket with BOTH. I always liked the laces because you could tighten them up in the warmer weather and let them out in the cold to layer. I think with the belt also, you can really ratchet it down.

I agree with JMax, I like my riding jackets just a LITTLE on the tight side. Also have to consider comp. weight leather is no joke and you have to be able to have some mobility.

You do have me talked into the "E" for sure. Cross zip, heavy leather, action back, heavy duty hardware, side laces AND belt, plenty of pockets, definitely a serious jacket. I just hope the fit is good.
Keep us posted!

roadking04

Practically Family
The other option is to call and see if they can tweak one to closer to your requested measurements for back length? Edit: and sleeve length.

In addition to the E, the Thunderbird also is sweet.

I am really hoping to get an off the rack jacket. I really don't wanna go custom, ESPECIALLY with Vanson. They have a great product, but bad customer service, lack of communication, and horrible wait times. (at least in the past). Once they get your money for a custom, who knows when you will get the jacket. You have to AT LEAST double the quoted wait time.

I agree, the thunderbird is really sweet. So is the C2, but I think most cross zips look sweet.

I am really hoping to get an off the rack jacket. I really don't wanna go custom, ESPECIALLY with Vanson. They have a great product, but bad customer service, lack of communication, and horrible wait times. (at least in the past). Once they get your money for a custom, who knows when you will get the jacket. You have to AT LEAST double the quoted wait time.

I agree, the thunderbird is really sweet. So is the C2, but I think most cross zips look sweet.
It's true. They lost my Derby jacket order so that took a year and a half! It was before they officially released the style tho and Nicole was really sorry about it. They punched it out pretty quick after it was discovered to be a lost order. Fortunately most off the rack Vanson works for me. They are designed with a purpose!

roadking04

Practically Family
Well... Just ordered a model "E". Kinda excited and had to tell someone. lol.

Talked to Kim at Vanson. Very pleasant and helpful. She actually brought up my measurements from my old hardcore highwayman. That was extremely helpful. I had no idea what my measurements were for that jacket and figured they were long gone. (that was about 12 years ago). Back then I was into power lifting and my chest size was a 50. Put on the old jacket and shoulder seams are still good (line up nice to my actual shoulder), neck opening was too big.

@JMax, Ton and I are from the Great, White, North... we need a little room to layer. After talking with Kim, I went with a 48. Pretty confident it will fit. Fingers crossed. They had one in stock and are gonna ship it out. Should get it next week, will definitely give a full report.

Ordered the mouton collar, something else JMax doesn't need. lol. Always thought they looked cool, but never tried one. Ton looked pretty cool in his, so I figured what the heck. They didn't have one in stock, so they have to make one.

On a side note.... I also ordered a pair of the "bone" gloves. I always thought they were badass. Never ordered them in the past because they were not lined. I figured I would give them a try. They had my size in stock and are shipping them out. I will give a review on them as well.

Thanks for all the help.

Congrats RK04!! I have a bunch of mouton collars but they literally get one or two days of possible wear per year, if I decide to use that specific jacket on that specific day. Most I have never used. Definitely not a requirement down here. Same for the layering. I have some where a T-shirt is all that will fit, others to get something heavier under it. The T-shirt-only ones are what I usually roll with.

But I hope to return to VA or NC in the next couple/few years, then I will have to rethink sizing a tad, maybe. Not like you in Ohio though, that cold is too much for me.

Enjoy the jacket man, I hope you love it like I do.

roadking04

Practically Family
Ok guys, I received my Vanson model "E". I was anxious and nervous to open the box. I was set up to be a little disappointed because of the recent reviews. Have no fear! VANSON DID NOT COMPROMISE!! This jacket is a beast! The competition leather is just how I remember from 12 years ago. Stiff, heavy, shiny, and squeaky. Has some grain starting to show. Definitely a piece of equipment!

I am a little concerned about the main zipper. It appears to be "rusty". It is black, no signs of shiny brass at all! It was very hard to operate even after some candle wax! The #5 sleeve zips are shiny and function like butter. Most of the snaps are tarnished, but that will happen over time anyways. My main concern is the function of the beefy main zip.

I am also wondering if I should size down to a 46. It is hard to determine because the leather is so stiff and unyielding. I am afraid if I size down I wont be able to ware a sweatshirt underneath. Not sure what to do there.

Now for some pics:

20180824_181141.jpg
20180824_180925.jpg
20180824_181029.jpg
20180824_181000.jpg
20180824_180348.jpg
20180824_180449.jpg
20180824_180520.jpg
20180824_180722.jpg
20180824_181332.jpg
20180824_180942.jpg

Forum statistics