Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Model F

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
The Model F and A are not the same pattern and fit differently. I could tell immediately the two jackets do not share the same pattern.

To confirm, I called just called Vanson about 3 minutes ago, spoke to a pattern maker and I asked whether or not the A and F share the same pattern and she immediately said no.

Model A is its own thing she said. The Model F however, shares the same pattern as the Model B and D. Which is too bad, since I was eying up the Model D but it is now off the list.

I'd love something that fit like the A but with a normal shirt style collar. I am buying another model A in a size 40 for riding my motorcycle, but right now I am after an every day jacket.

You're right, Model A is a different pattern to B/D/F/Enfield. Never meant to question that, my bad. Was distracted when I wrote the last post and for some reason I wrote Model A instead of Model America. I don't even own the Model A. I own the America jacket, which is the model B with flag and stripes. And while it may be a worse range of motion than the Model A, which I cannot judge because I don't own the A, it certainly isn't raising to my ears when I hold out my arms horizontally. So maybe the B/D pattern isn't as good as the A pattern, but I still believe it fit you so poorly partially because it was too large for you, as you have stated yourself. Again, i apologize for the missunderstanding.

Colin G

One Too Many
I did not mention the F fit too large. It fit perfectly except for under the arms. The jacket has too much of a taper for me and gets too wide under the arms and I need something more straight cut on the sides. If I went o a 38 in an F, I would not be able to even get it on.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Not even that as it's running on some ancient flash script that doesn't even work on its own unless you turn it on manually. Nobody will ever know they make this kinda stuff:

IMG_61271-e1449830135153.jpg
I just picked up one of these in Brown. I haven't yet received it but I was instantly digging the look. I wanted to get with you Monitor and see what you know about it as far as age or any other interesting tidbits. The Seller pegged it as a 60s era. This black one pictured looks like it could conquer the world!!!! Nice CR for sure...... Here's a pic from the sales listing of the one that I have on the way..... All Passaics I have handled have seemed to be total quality well made garments.

Passaic CR.jpg

Maxwell Von Chesapeake

A-List Customer
Does anyone have a pic or two of a form-fitting Vanson Model F after it's been fully broken in? I saw the following pictures on Thurston Bros. and think it's a near-perfect jacket (if it were less shiny and had brass hardware, that is:

Screen Shot 2023-06-22 at 1.08.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-22 at 1.08.42 PM.png

But, as usual, if you go to Vanson's site, they have a picture of a terribly-fitting jacket being modeled by Tony Marinara on his way to an audition for Goodfellas 2. It doesn't inspire confidence, to say the least.

Screen Shot 2023-06-22 at 1.01.31 PM.png

And just for fun, here's a pic I found of what might be the flirtiest bank robber on Earth. I like to imagine that he's saying something along the lines of, "Come on, sweetheart...you know you want to open your drawers for me."

Screen Shot 2023-06-22 at 1.03.39 PM.png

Anyway, for a casual and stylish brown leather jacket, what do you guys think of the Model F? Does Vanson have any classic brown leathers that are interesting and will age beautifully? Is there any chance of getting one to fit something like a Thedi? Or is it just best to place a custom order with Theodoros and tell him exactly what I'm looking for?

Oh, and does anyone know of any makers besides Thedi and Bill Kelso who will do a camoflauge lining? I have it in my head that whatever brown jacket I do end up ordering, it has to have a camo lining (partially so that my girlfriend's son will think I'm cool and take an interest in leather jackets).

Thanks, everyone. I hope you're all doing well.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyway, for a casual and stylish brown leather jacket, what do you guys think of the Model F? Does Vanson have any classic brown leathers that are interesting and will age beautifully? Is there any chance of getting one to fit something like a Thedi?

Yes, even though the Octagon leather is gone, the new Roma (which comes in various shades of brown) is exactly what you're looking for. I'm working on an order from them in that leather.

Yes you can absolutely nail the fit with them, whether through a local dealer (Butterscotch might work for you) or through a place like Thurston that will remotely set up a fit jacket and such.

In my case, the RTW version of the jacket fit pretty much spot on, so I'm doing leather and feature tweaks rather than fit ones, but those will be easy to do.

You can ask to see if Vanson has any mil patterned lining available. They made my vest with tiger stripe that was laying around.

Maxwell Von Chesapeake

A-List Customer
Yes, even though the Octagon leather is gone, the new Roma (which comes in various shades of brown) is exactly what you're looking for. I'm working on an order from them in that leather.

Yes you can absolutely nail the fit with them, whether through a local dealer (Butterscotch might work for you) or through a place like Thurston that will remotely set up a fit jacket and such.

In my case, the RTW version of the jacket fit pretty much spot on, so I'm doing leather and feature tweaks rather than fit ones, but those will be easy to do.
Great, thank you so much. Not to sound like an idiot, though, but is Butterscotch a store in Los Angeles? Also, what does RTW stand for? Thanks!

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great, thank you so much. Not to sound like an idiot, though, but is Butterscotch a store in Los Angeles? Also, what does RTW stand for? Thanks!

Yeah, they're a Vanson dealer in Long Beach. If you want to see how good standard comp weight jackets can look, their photography is like a PR department by comparison to the stock photos.

RTW = ready-to-wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21