Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Oxford in octagon leather

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I bought this on ebay from a seller in Japan who wanted way too much for it. I talked him down to still too much, but I think I got my money's worth, even if I paid over what Vanson is charging for a new one right now.

I'm pretty sure this is my first octagon leather, and it's really nice stuff. Not as heavy as the HH in the Vanson Enfield I bought from technovox a while ago, but still stiff enough to stand on its own.

The Enfield is still here, too. The jackets are similar, the Oxford is a slimmer fit, less blocky. I think both are keepers, but I'm not sure which I like better. I don't think I could know until the Oxford is fully broken in. The main differences I note between the two:
  • Different leather (Enfield: brown HH, Oxford: octagon cowhide)
  • Different linings
  • Oxford has a double-ended main zipper
  • Oxford back has a center seam
Octagon isn't an option on the vanson website for this model at the present, and I don't see it listed in their "about our leathers" page any longer. I'm not sure if it's still available for special orders, or what, but it might be they can no longer source it, if as is the case with their former tannery that sourced comp weight went out of business. Would be interested to know, if anyone has info.

It's like-new, unworn. Tagged 40, fits perfectly, snug fit throughout. The sleeve cuffs when zipped perfectly fit my wrists. A lot of jackets with zippered cuffs, I can still pull my hands out of the sleeve, or nearly so; not a chance with this one.

Seller pics:

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (11).jpg

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Octagon leather is special. I checked out one (very similar to this one in fact) several years back when Thurston's had their brick & mortar shop in Seattle. It was just broken in, and actually "softer" than I might have expected. It was similar weight as Competition leather. I think it was a little large on me, hence why it did not go home with me. In addition, the color is "acquired" in taste - at least for some, since it is not black or basic brown.

With all the troubles Vanson has had with their leather suppliers, I suspect this offering may be forever gone. Especially if it was from the tannery that burned down (as I recall...) You may just have snagged a good collector's piece right there.

Last edited:

Schambach

Practically Family
I was at Vanson in Fall River a couple weeks ago, picked up an Enfield. They had a comet in octagon in my size that was lovely, but I just couldn’t justify two new jackets. Liz(I think)helped me out and did say that if I liked to octagon jacket I should probably grab it, as there probably wouldn’t be more of them. And sure enough, they sold it a day or two later, she was nice enough to call me and tell me so I didn’t make the trip again for it. They did have another comet in octagon, I think it was a 40.

Any fit pics? I’ve got an order in for an Oxford and I’m stone cold terrified as to how the hide will be. What I’ve seen from Vanson of late does not impress in the least. Comp weight almost looks like rubber.

roadking04

Practically Family
Comp weight almost looks like rubber.

I really hope it has gotten better. My E from 2018 was complete garbage. It was so bad I was afraid to sell it in the classifieds for $100. I gave it to my younger brother who knows absolutely nothing about premium leather jackets. When I gave it to him he asked, "is this even leather?" lol.

It was stamped and heavily coated. I was hoping it would break in and get better, it stayed the same. I should have sent it back. It was a waste of 700 bucks. Live and learn. Hopefully mine was from a bad batch and yours will be better.

I really hope it has gotten better. My E from 2018 was complete garbage. It was so bad I was afraid to sell it in the classifieds for $100. I gave it to my younger brother who knows absolutely nothing about premium leather jackets. When I gave it to him he asked, "is this even leather?" lol.

It was stamped and heavily coated. I was hoping it would break in and get better, it stayed the same. I should have sent it back. It was a waste of 700 bucks. Live and learn. Hopefully mine was from a bad batch and yours will be better.
From the looks of things it’s actually gotten worse, not better. At least it’s 100% stock and can be returned. I just hope it’s at least decent. I love the Oxford and have been far more accepting of less than stellar leathers of late. Nevertheless, I’m still concerned by what I’ve seen recently.

Hh121

Banned
I think Vanson just doesn't want to spend more money on their leather because they want to keep their jacket price low, plus most of their customers won't even know it is good or bad leather.

roadking04

Practically Family
I think Vanson just doesn't want to spend more money on their leather because they want to keep their jacket price low, plus most of their customers won't even know it is good or bad leather.

I am thinking they are going out of business. The owners are near retirement age. They have EVERYTHING on sale for the last year. I hope I am wrong.

Hh121

Banned
I am thinking they are going out of business. The owners are near retirement age. They have EVERYTHING on sale for the last year. I hope I am wrong.
Really? I thought they are doing really well judging by their Instagram, lol...
There is no reason that Vanson can not get the quality of old competition weight cowhide back since they provide the formula to the tannery (according to Carrie ).

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Any fit pics? I’ve got an order in for an Oxford and I’m stone cold terrified as to how the hide will be. What I’ve seen from Vanson of late does not impress in the least. Comp weight almost looks like rubber.

I owe fit pics on so many jackets by now, I've lost track, lol. I've been dissatisfied with the camera on my current cell phone, which seems to have some issue with auto-focus, and it makes taking selfies aggravating, at best. So I don't know when, or if, I'll be able to take decent fit pics of anything in my collection. I will say that I can't find anything to complain about the fit. While I normally wear a 42, Vanson seems to cut their jackets a little on the roomy side. That is probably practical for layering, though. For a form-fitting superhero fit, I like going a size down.

As far as the leather goes, I don't know what Vanson is putting out these days, but I haven't heard much good about the "new" comp weight since around 2017. So it'll be interesting to hear what you think when you get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB