Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Raid jacket purchase

philosophy101

A-List Customer
I compared it to my Vanson Comet and Manx it's the same thickness. I don't believe this is the medium weight leather they use in the Arrow.
I just found your exact jacket (I think) in a Vanson catalog from year 2000, which I have as a PDF file (228 pages!). It looks like it's part of their "Boulevard" series, which features some pretty cool Vanson models that we don't see very often. I'm not sure if it will solve the mystery of the unusually soft and thick leather, but happy to send you the PDF if you like. Fun thing to have if you're Vanson enthusiast.

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
I just found your exact jacket (I think) in a Vanson catalog from year 2000, which I have as a PDF file (228 pages!). It looks like it's part of their "Boulevard" series, which features some pretty cool Vanson models that we don't see very often. I'm not sure if it will solve the mystery of the unusually soft and thick leather, but happy to send you the PDF if you like. Fun thing to have if you're Vanson enthusiast.
Thanks I forgot all about that PDF Vanson has on their website. I used to have a hard copy of one of there catalogs from the mid 90's thats long gone, but I still have the leather samples they sent me with every color leather they use.
20141029_224139.jpg

philosophy101

A-List Customer
Thanks I forgot all about that PDF Vanson has on their website. I used to have a hard copy of one of there catalogs from the mid 90's thats long gone, but I still have the leather samples they sent me with every color leather they use. View attachment 39900
Those samples are cool. Now that you mentioned it, I realize the one I tried on at Vanson's factory (without gusseted shoulders) was the Arrow, made of midnight leather. The Raider is nicer, in my opinion. I'm envious of your new find. You scored big time!

Peacoat

Bartender
You scored a good one this time. Typical well made Vanson jacket with nice already broken in leather (unlike my Enfield that took 1 1/2 years) and it looks as though it is a custom fit. Well done. PC.

Edward

Bartender
Hard to lose at that price; I can't imagine you losing money if you'd had to sell it on. Looks like a keeper, though: great fit. I'm very impressed by the quality of what Vanson do, not least given that they're putting them out at Schott money (not to imply that sChott aren't good, though - I like them too).

They never offered that jacket (the raid) in the mid weight leather to my knowledge. The Arrow jacket they currently offer is mid weight and looks the same except it has a half belt back. That's full comp weight. I had one of those myself not too long ago and eventually sold it.

Lancaster

Familiar Face
They never offered that jacket (the raid) in the mid weight leather to my knowledge. The Arrow jacket they currently offer is mid weight and looks the same except it has a half belt back. That's full comp weight. I had one of those myself not too long ago and eventually sold it.

Yes, very similar to the Arrow, which also has pleats in the upper back panel where it tucks into the half belt. No zips at the hand pockets either. Eastman's Windward is a near exact copy of the Arrow (or visa versa, or perhaps they've both done a copy of a particular vintage jacket) except they've also eliminated the chest pocket zip and lined the coat with quilted rayon backed with some wool insulation. I'm sure the leather and stitching are different with some other minor details, but for that you'll pay more than $1000 above what you did! Great score for such a fine jacket that fits like it was made for you, especially if you prefer the 3 added pocket zips, since Eastman won't customize theirs in any way.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff