Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson! Vanson! Vanson!

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Sweet Jesus. Set it and absolutely forget it. Thanks. Probably beyond my patience threshold.
I've visited the factory in Mass back when I lived on Cape Cod, and I think I've figured out the wait times. They're such a small set up, they have to be building coats in batches on a preset schedule. That explains why it can vary from two weeks wait to 14 months wait. You put in the work request and when they've geared up to do a run of that jacket your order gets put in the lineup. It wouldn't make sense to be constantly changing the machinery everytime an email comes in.

I've visited the factory in Mass back when I lived on Cape Cod, and I think I've figured out the wait times. They're such a small set up, they have to be building coats in batches on a preset schedule. That explains why it can vary from two weeks wait to 14 months wait. You put in the work request and when they've geared up to do a run of that jacket your order gets put in the lineup. It wouldn't make sense to be constantly changing the machinery everytime an email comes in.
That makes sense

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
The same thing happened to me a long time ago.
Short response to an initial enquiry, but it was not satisfactory. There was no further response to further questions. I had the impression that there was no interest in customising a jacket.

Kim has been very helpful and I've been discussing a custom jacket from her based upon the Oxford/Royale Enfield. I'm sure if she can help she will.

kimv@vansonleathers.com

If I was in the US like you I'll give her a buzz over skype and see how she can help.

Vanson has some new leathers,, they call them Roma. Various shades of brown/burgundy. I just received the 9d I ordered in whiskey roma and I absolutely love it. Thinner than comp weight, but still pretty thick, but very soft. I’m beyond stoked. View attachment 503590 View attachment 503591 View attachment 503593 View attachment 503595

After the shock or finding out Octagon no longer is available, this is a very welcome sight and might give me hope that I can get a Vanson in something other than boring black and heavy comp leather :D

Yes, I have, and it works very nicely on the bike for me at least. Vanson really nails it in that respect, even with the traditional patterns like the comet.

I know that where Vanson shines, the leather isn't the star, its how it wears and I'm really interested to get a Vanson just for that. Not that I'll be biking but rather how much movement is available.

I really shouldn't laugh but that isn't how I want to look if I ever ride a bike. Apologies to whoever posted this lost worlds jacket.

IMG-20200331-WA0046.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The current dark brown comp weight is nice. I've just gotten my Wolverine jacket. Ordered in January, and got it last week. Will throw up some photos this week. So the lead time on existing models with stocking leathers isn't that bad, within the 3-4month factory rotation range.

The horsehide jacket from the early 2000s is freaking awesome! The horsehide feels extremely dense and imo more robust than the comp weight. My used jacket came with some very unfortunate smells which I will need a few weeks of air time before I can wear it. Wish Vanson would do another run of the horsehide jackets. Worth every penny and then some.

JB1

Familiar Face

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
Comet Plu-2 in older competition leather. The leather is amazing. The jacket is maybe too snug when zipped, but I may try and make it work or tone down some haha View attachment 504588 View attachment 504586 View attachment 504589 View attachment 504590

That's about as good as you're ever going to get. The issue for me is my arms will swim in the standard cut so if I was to go get a Vanson it'll have to be custom.

View attachment 504425
That photo is a joke. That jacket isn’t broken in. Almost all brand new super stiff jackets will do that. Mine is four months old. Behold.

Ahhhh much better, I was wondering how that jacket will be wearable if it fits like a carboard box lol

abone

A-List Customer
I called Vanson last week and was told 3 months for a 9D if I placed an order. If I waited for stock to replenish then 6 months.
Carrie at TB told me 3-6 months, 6 being at the very most.
I’m working on a custom black Oxford. Haven’t decided on the leather yet, but likely comp weight.

abone

A-List Customer
I've been thinking about trying to get an Vanson ever since I joined this forum. Just heard way too many good things about them. Does anyone know whether there is any possibility to buy them in Europe? Not talking about buying used, but rather some resellers. Contacted Vanson directly with this question, but they ignored me.
Vanson have a dealer in Germany:

https://www.wwag.com/en/vanson-leathers

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The current dark brown comp weight is nice. I've just gotten my Wolverine jacket. Ordered in January, and got it last week. Will throw up some photos this week. So the lead time on existing models with stocking leathers isn't that bad, within the 3-4month factory rotation range.

The horsehide jacket from the early 2000s is freaking awesome! The horsehide feels extremely dense and imo more robust than the comp weight. My used jacket came with some very unfortunate smells which I will need a few weeks of air time before I can wear it. Wish Vanson would do another run of the horsehide jackets. Worth every penny and then some.

Need to see it, and the spec/leather choices you went with! I really liked the dark brown comp weight it’s made of. Felt like Schott’s naked cowhide, in pliability, with of course a top coat. I’m curious about how it would distress.

I liked mine aesthetically but it actually had a mistake (the right sleeve was twisted at the point of attachment, preventing me from raising that arm) so I sent it back to Vanson. I noticed the issue super quickly because I had also bought a Comet at the factory and it had no such issue despite it being far more snug.

I’m planning to order one MTO and have been thinking through which leather to go with. I forgot to pick up swatches when I was at the factory. I wonder if the XL leather or Roma will give it a look more like the early 2000s horsehide.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Yeah I talked to them already. Of course they don't have anything my size - doesn't make sense for resellers/dealers to stock such small sizes. They are also very reluctant to order anything my size for me. Would not accept returns even if they did order it for me.

On a related note : found this strange guy in Greece : https://www.facebook.com/oldskooler66
Seems to stock Vansons, could order one for me as well. Also said he makes custom jackets.
Would maybe even make a thread about it here as I've never seen this "maker"(?) mentioned here.
But the communication is so poor and obscure/sketchy that currently I decided not to deal with him.
Some examples of the communication:

- Do you do made-to-measure? Meaning that I specify the measurements? Do you make them yourself in Greece? What kind of leather options do you have?
- cowhide ,horsehide mostly !! from the highest tea core(traditional process of leather horshide or cow hide highest grade A from uk,japan,italy,usa
- And the jacket would be made locally in Greece?
- i made the orders in usa,greece ,japan and italy !! it depends of the leather i use
- Yes, I understand that you do orders internationally. But you mentioned "handmade for my shop" - where is your shop? In Greece? What brand / label do you use for your jackers?
- in athens..motor & soul in fb and instagram brands for leathers i have are Schott usa,Vanson usa, Helstons france,Roland sands usa, Holyfreedom italy and others !! better to measure a jacket that is fiited on you
- What about patterns/models?
- i wait these handmade models in 10 days, but not in 34-36..from M to 2XL, but when you decide i can order for you immediately and after 10d i can deliver it to you..i send to all europe
Anyway, I think you see what I mean.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Yeah I talked to them already. Of course they don't have anything my size - doesn't make sense for resellers/dealers to stock such small sizes. They are also very reluctant to order anything my size for me. Would not accept returns even if they did order it for me.

On a related note : found this strange guy in Greece : https://www.facebook.com/oldskooler66
Seems to stock Vansons, could order one for me as well. Also said he makes custom jackets.
Would maybe even make a thread about it here as I've never seen this "maker"(?) mentioned here.
But the communication is so poor and obscure/sketchy that currently I decided not to deal with him.
Some examples of the communication:

Anyway, I think you see what I mean.
I see aliexpress copies of Thedi design

IMG_9724.jpeg

Thedi 'the hunter' original
IMG_2441.jpeg

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Marc mndt
Yup, his FB/IG pictures are even more sketchy than his communication.
What seems strange to me is that he also sells various known maker jackets and Vanson lists him as a retailer/dealer.
Hard to believe that Vanson would deal with anyone who would be pushing aliexpress copies as his own custom handmade stuff in Athens.
- Going back our conversation about leather jackets. If we talk specifically about order a Vanson jacket:Would it be possible to order a Chopper or CHP model from them through you in size 34 or 36?Either now or in September?Would it be possible to customize it a bit? For example sleeve length or body length? Leather?How much would it cost approximately?Would it still be possible to return it to you if it does not fit me once you send it to me?

- when i customize,i need to order 2 of the same models..so its difficult for me to buy another one..its better to order from their stock !! also we ll be more expensive !! my price for chopper,will be from 950 to 1050..it depends of greek customs..measure a jacket ,down on floor,zipped..i want ampit to ampit the measurement!!

- Same price for a stock Chopper/CHP? Around ~1000eu?

- usa imported to Europe is under customs and taxes !!!!! so the price of a chopper is 999$ ..this price in europe ,after cistoms and shipping,will be around 1300-1400...so i sell them much cheaper instead of 1300-1400 !!

- So how do you manage to sell them cheaper? ~1000 instead of 1300-1400? Are returns possible if I order a stock size from them through you?

- because i put lower profit in my price, return is by payment shipping to go back to usa and shipping from usa also

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hard to believe that Vanson would deal with anyone who would be pushing aliexpress copies as his own custom handmade stuff in Athens.

Well, not Ali Express copies and much higher quality, but another place seems to have been doing business pretending to make leather jackets in Greece for years now, so he's copying a known model.

I assume he started as a dealer of reputable brands, then started selling his own stuff using his third party items to legitimize himself. Lots of companies, some good and some bad, have done similar.

jkoj

Familiar Face
Stopped into Vanson today to “ look around”Found this in the used jacket section. It was marked $200. I offered $100 and we settled on $150. My first trucker and it’s blue leather. Love it.

Attachments

• CE3DC740-B912-40C3-A300-230ADB2B2AA1.jpeg
    CE3DC740-B912-40C3-A300-230ADB2B2AA1.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 126
  • F0FEC48E-65D8-46F9-B0F0-229520C1C501.jpeg
    F0FEC48E-65D8-46F9-B0F0-229520C1C501.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 125

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana