Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson! Vanson! Vanson!

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Monitor You know what I meant :D
Interesting that Vanson even recommend using it on new(!) leather:
"We recommend its use on newer garments too - to moisturize the leather and give it added suppleness."

f2002q

One of the Regulars
@Monitor You know what I meant :D
Interesting that Vanson even recommend using it on new(!) leather:
"We recommend its use on newer garments too - to moisturize the leather and give it added suppleness."

When I purchased my Vanson, Kim at the store told me to use their leather solution after one year. I used it after 2 months, and it really did help with the break-in of the jackets. I really did notice that they were easier to bend. YMMV though.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
So would you say that this would be a reasonable course of action?
- Initial application within the 1st year for suppleness and helping in break-in.
- Nothing for 10-50 years.
- Condition again once it gets dry.
Mine will not be new and I guess the leather balm has already been used, so step one does not apply for me.

https://www.vansonleathers.com/content/54-cleaning-caring-for-your-vanson-leather
"...On the other hand, if your leather jacket never gets wet, you should still treat it with our Balm at least three times a year to keep the leather nourished and pliable."

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
It‘s pointless to measure treatment intervalls by time, you should measure them by time worn. A jacket that only gets worn every other sunday sure won‘t need treatment for a few years. A jacket that is worn daily for hours, subjected to the elements, both water and sun, sure needs treatment atleast once a year. In the end, it is no rocket science. Just do it every now and then. Rather once too often than not often enough, treatment is prevention work, no repair work and what I mean by that is that once the damage is done, treatment won‘t undo it.

mboon85

New in Town
does anyone see or have pictures of collared or metro style Vansons in bright colors? I'm seriously considering ordering a more subdued (compared to a race jacket) like a portland or oxford in Ducati red or yellow (TB said this is doable) but I haven't seen a single image of anything that bold before. everything appears to be black, black, or brownish. the wildest seems to be the TB Bainbridge in abyss but thats still a darker hue and since I mostly wear jeans I'm not sure I can pull off blue leather AND blue denim.

colorful non race stuff?

Al 916

One Too Many
does anyone see or have pictures of collared or metro style Vansons in bright colors? I'm seriously considering ordering a more subdued (compared to a race jacket) like a portland or oxford in Ducati red or yellow (TB said this is doable) but I haven't seen a single image of anything that bold before. everything appears to be black, black, or brownish. the wildest seems to be the TB Bainbridge in abyss but thats still a darker hue and since I mostly wear jeans I'm not sure I can pull off blue leather AND blue denim.

colorful non race stuff?
Midnight Blue is beautiful!
Jeans with midnight Blue would work very well!

Observe

One Too Many
Getting wild on a Thursday night. Ekeing out a bit more splay on my enfield collar, TFL style.
20230511_214814.jpg

Al 916

One Too Many
White label predates Vanson's use of HH. It's cow and a beauty at that.
Heavier weight (not quite CW and beautifully soft).

Damn pity it's a 26 p2p otherwise I would keep it.
Seller needs to improve his tape skills!

Any bigger chaps interested? (I picked it up for a good price and will pass that on to a Lounger)

abone

A-List Customer
Finally got a Vanson coming my way. Been dreaming about one ever since joining TFL. You folks really do a good job advertising and praising it here :)
Best MC jacket I own. Fits like a 2nd skin and so comfortable on the bike. Open up the zip a little and it cools down, zip it right up and nice and warm. Vanson got this right.
Any new jacket purchase, whether it’s new or used, gets a good saddle soap treatment and balm of my choice which is often Dubbin. Done this to my jackets and boots for 50 years.

Attachments

• IMG_7117.jpeg
    IMG_7117.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Al 916

One Too Many
Best MC jacket I own. Fits like a 2nd skin and so comfortable on the bike. Open up the zip a little and it cools down, zip it right up and nice and warm. Vanson got this right.
Any new jacket purchase, whether it’s new or used, gets a good saddle soap treatment and balm of my choice which is often Dubbin. Done this to my jackets and boots for 50 years.
My understanding (from Horsey folk) is that Saddle soap is exactly that...Soap to get rid of the dirt and sweat from a saddle. What effect does it have on a new jacket?

Dubbin I used to use on my rugby boots in the 70s, it is a great waterproofer but you don't want to sit on a light coloured sofa etc. It is effectively grease (I have heard of it being used on serious bike gear).

Not challenging just interested.

abone

A-List Customer
@abone
Thanks, now you made me look into and buy some natural dubbin from UK...
Can you explain the purpose of your treatment? Especially on new jackets.
It waterproofs, moisturizes and softens. It’s just what I’ve been doing. I’m not saying it’s necessary or required on a new jacket, and for a brown leather jacket as an example, I use a different balm such as Cobblers Choice. Dubbin will make it shiny and darken the leather too, at least for a while.
It could be in my head but I’m convinced it helps with the sleeve creasing too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner