Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson! Vanson! Vanson!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here

f2002q

One of the Regulars
Last edited:

Aloysius

That jacket was made to be used as a sizing tool. I doubt that anyone other than Vanson retailers has purchased them in order to assist customers getting a good fit on a custom order.

It explicitly says as much.

Ben1111

Familiar Face
That jacket was made to be used as a sizing tool. I doubt that anyone other than Vanson retailers has purchased them in order to assist customers getting a good fit on a custom order.
Right. Contacted Vanson today about this jacket. They don't have all sizes. Only one size 36 and one size 42 are in stock. Looks like many just choose to keep the fitting jacket given its low cost.

Aloysius

Right. Contacted Vanson today about this jacket. They don't have all sizes. Only one size 36 and one size 42 are in stock. Looks like many just choose to keep the fitting jacket given its low cost.

I doubt it's a case of extreme popularity. I assume it's something made in fairly small amounts, mostly for Vanson dealers to have in their showrooms, and there was some overflow that they put on the site.

Al 916

One Too Many
I haven’t even heard of that model!

Seller could just possibly be saying he thinks it is ....
Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 08.58.21.png

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Seller could just possibly be saying he thinks it is ....
View attachment 478731
Vanson makes jackets built on several chassis which have different pockets and straps attached as needed for the specific models. This looks built up on the Star jacket chassis, the top half of the the flat track suit. Looking at the football elbows and shoulder reinforcements would seem to back that up. Since they modeled on the top half of full leatheres, they had a short body. Can you get the back and front length on this one? Neck to waist measurements?

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I wish they still made these Swedish police style motorcycle jackets

View attachment 478738
I was looking through the 2000 catalog and it's a real shame how much they've had cut back variety.

A LOT of cool out of production coats in there!

They must still have all the patterns. I wonder how much it would cost for them to do a run...

Just spitballing an idea, but if there were enough members interested I bet we could pool our resources. If we approached Vanson with 20 or 30 orders for a defunct style, they might do a run for us.

I think we'd have to have a payment ready to go, cash talks. But with a large enough order it should be profitable for them, too.

Knowing Vanson we'd probably have to be ok with waiting like 18 months or whatever for them to make them...

https://issuu.com/mcombs67/docs/vanson_2000_catalog

Last edited:

hughesovka

One of the Regulars
I was looking through the 2000 catalog and it's a real shame how much they've had cut back variety.

They must still have all the patterns. I wonder how much it would cost for them to do a run...

Just spitballing an idea, but if there were enough members interested I bet we could pool our resources. If we approached Vanson with 20 or 30 orders for a defunct style, they might do a run for us.

I think we'd have to have a payment ready to go, cash talks. But with a large enough order it should be profitable for them, too.

Knowing Vanson we'd probably have to be ok with waiting like 18 months or whatever for them to make them...

I actually have on my hard drive a collection of photos i found on a korean website of that vanson swedish cop jacket from every angle, every detail photographed. I've thought about sending them to shawn at five star to see if he could make anything from them. I can send them to you too if you want

Edit: actually I'll just post them here, maybe someone out there can revive this great jacket. At work ATM but will post when i get back home

f2002q

One of the Regulars

This catalog is amazing. Why can't their website look like the catalog? All this information should be on the website. They had a vast number of riding jackets, wow!!!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Count me in for the group buy if it happens. I can do about four jackets. All stock but old patterns that are discontinued now. Blue Angel, Chicago, Tourist Trophy, and Bravo.

FWIW, my most recent "custom" Vanson order is the Wolverine jacket. I got one through their website during the holiday sale. Nick got back to me and said it wasn't in stock and that they would have to make it, so it's sort of custom in that sense. I also asked about another two jackets to be done in different leather, F in brown CW and one of the short canvas Trials jacket in their naked cowhide. Not so much luck with those, I assume Vanson only does custom custom through their retail partners. If anyone has done custom jackets with Vanson directly, and recently, please post your experience. Thanks.

Astrobrainsurgeon

New in Town
Count me in for the group buy if it happens. I can do about four jackets. All stock but old patterns that are discontinued now. Blue Angel, Chicago, Tourist Trophy, and Bravo.

FWIW, my most recent "custom" Vanson order is the Wolverine jacket. I got one through their website during the holiday sale. Nick got back to me and said it wasn't in stock and that they would have to make it, so it's sort of custom in that sense. I also asked about another two jackets to be done in different leather, F in brown CW and one of the short canvas Trials jacket in their naked cowhide. Not so much luck with those, I assume Vanson only does custom custom through their retail partners. If anyone has done custom jackets with Vanson directly, and recently, please post your experience. Thanks.
I didn't place the order directly with Vanson (instead through Thurston brothers) but I've been waiting for like 7 months now. It was custom sized and has been stuck in the "patterning" queue.

I assume y'all be waiting some time if you get any sort of group order going.

I didn't place the order directly with Vanson (instead through Thurston brothers) but I've been waiting for like 7 months now. It was custom sized and has been stuck in the "patterning" queue.

I assume y'all be waiting some time if you get any sort of group order going.
UGH! 7 months!?!?!?!

Schambach

Practically Family
From my experience, they are willing to do custom stuff as long as it's with their stock leathers/materials. I did a stock sizing, with a different color, and lining, and it took about three months. Pretty quick I thought.

The problem is their stock leathers aren't what most people here are after.

I'm curious about "deer tanned cow", they offer it on their site(in a couple jackets in their "metropolitan collection"), and one of the members here gave it a good review a little while back. Anyone have any info on/experience with that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112