Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson! Vanson! Vanson!

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I've been thinking about trying to get an Vanson every since I joined this forum. Just heard way too many good things about them. Does anyone know whether there is any possibility to buy them in Europe? Not talking about buying used, but rather some resellers. Contacted Vanson directly with this question, but they ignored me.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Contacted Vanson directly with this question, but they ignored me.
The same thing happened to me a long time ago.
Short response to an initial enquiry, but it was not satisfactory. There was no further response to further questions. I had the impression that there was no interest in customising a jacket.

Aloysius

I've been thinking about trying to get an Vanson every since I joined this forum. Just heard way too many good things about them. Does anyone know whether there is any possibility to buy them in Europe? Not talking about buying used, but rather some resellers. Contacted Vanson directly with this question, but they ignored me.

Did you contact via email? I would recommend making a phone call.

Vanson has an amazing factory facility but their computer back end is the same system they’ve used for decades. I wonder if that’s part of why there are email communication issues.

Calling them, on the other hand, will get you in the hands of a salesman, many of whom have been with Vanson for decades. The team is small and tight-knit. I didn’t ever speak to Constantine who people here raved about before he retired, but there’s a good team there. The office staff aren’t leather jacket enthusiasts necessarily, but they know who to connect you to.

There are actually a lot of jackets in your size in their outlet section. (You’re a 34 or so, correct?) So you could potentially get yourself a really nice Vanson for the price of a mall jacket. From the size, I assume they were overproduction from a run meant for Japan or something.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I found a list of European dealers on Vanson website, but, as expected, it's not up to date.
Received a funny response from one of the dealers mentioned in that list:
"Sorry we stopped our collaboration with them 10 years ago
Their website is not updated"

Aloysius

I found a list of European dealers on Vanson website, but, as expected, it's not up to date.
Received a funny response from one of the dealers mentioned in that list:
"Sorry we stopped our collaboration with them 10 years ago
Their website is not updated"

Vanson’s outdated website is something to be grateful for. If people knew just how good the jackets look and well they fit, plus could order at a glance, we’d be paying three times as much lol

Schambach

Practically Family
Vanson has some new leathers,, they call them Roma. Various shades of brown/burgundy. I just received the 9d I ordered in whiskey roma and I absolutely love it. Thinner than comp weight, but still pretty thick, but very soft. I’m beyond stoked.
BE399E39-CEB3-48F2-A2AF-AB310061641B.jpeg
48C85DB6-0FC3-45CB-823C-F87E3E7613B8.jpeg
BD64C1BF-48C7-4D2F-8029-687E1AE68A63.jpeg
9970D2C9-6798-496A-9BD4-B1C16FE5B230.jpeg

Gr8Lakes

Familiar Face
@Schambach That’s a beautiful new Vanson! Color‘s similar to my Schott 673, but looks much softer. NICE!

I’ve been inactive on TFL for the better part of the past year as I dealt with some health and family issues, but as things are returning to a more normal and consistent pace, I can once again indulge my love for leather!

Against some member’s better judgement, I’ve started down the Vanson rabbit hole myself. Just yesterday I purchased a Model B, size 44, in Firenze because they don’t have any Comp. weight in stock. It’s basically just a fit jacket. I’ve been communicating with Kim Van der Sleeson (the Vanson family name) via email and she’s been quite helpful.

I ultimately plan on ordering a Comp. weight Model B, with nickel hardware, 2 way main zipper, and possibly longer arms, depending on the fit jacket. I struggle to find riding jackets with long enough arms, and being only 5’ 10” with a short Torso, tall jackets are a no go. HD jackets generally have long enough arms, but 98% of HD jackets make my face squinch. Especially when I eliminate cross zips, then HD jackets are really slim pickins. I purchased a 44 Schott 141 and the body fit great, but the arms were just too short in riding position - needed at least another inch, maybe two.

Now, I didn’t give the Comet much consideration until I saw it’s deeply discounted. There’s no 44, but there is a 46 and 48. Anyone have experience riding in a Comet? My body shape really eats up arm length when I reach forward, so I’m always looking for bi-swing with gussets. But it seems Vanson sells a lot of Comets to rider specific customers. I ride a HD Street Glide with, ehem, taller than stock bars.

Aloysius

Schambach

Practically Family
I can’t speak for this armored version but I’m a 40 and I can’t imagine going smaller than the 42 I got in the regular Comet.
I’ve got a comet in 44, the same as all my other vansons, and it fits, but is definitely a slimmer fit, and more pronounced taper. Probably not a bad idea to size up one for the armored version.

Gr8Lakes

Familiar Face
I’ve got a comet in 44, the same as all my other vansons, and it fits, but is definitely a slimmer fit, and more pronounced taper. Probably not a bad idea to size up one for the armored version.
Have you done any motorcycle riding with the Comet? I imagine the cut would allow for some free movement of the shoulders and arms. But I’ve tried on a couple “moto” jackets that were designed with zero consideration for riding comfort and movement. I’m seriously considering just purchasing one and trying it… The price is right, even though I already purchased a B. Who knows, maybe I’ll switch the B for a Brandy colored B. :D

Vanson has some new leathers,, they call them Roma. Various shades of brown/burgundy. I just received the 9d I ordered in whiskey roma and I absolutely love it. Thinner than comp weight, but still pretty thick, but very soft. I’m beyond stoked. View attachment 503590 View attachment 503591 View attachment 503593 View attachment 503595

I went with the Brandy when I ordered a jacket a while back. I really like how it looks. View attachment 503859 View attachment 503858
Both of these look better than the couch leather from Thurston. How long did you wait to have these beauties built?

Khilij

One of the Regulars
Both of these look better than the couch leather from Thurston. How long did you wait to have these beauties built?

Right around 1 year, maybe 13-14 months. This was ordered early 2021, and received in mid 2022. I'm a bit fuzzy on the exact dates. Hope this helps to give you an idea.

Gr8Lakes

Familiar Face
Right around 1 year, maybe 13-14 months. This was ordered early 2021, and received in mid 2022. I'm a bit fuzzy on the exact dates. Hope this helps to give you an idea.

Sweet Jesus. Set it and absolutely forget it. Thanks. Probably beyond my patience threshold.
Good Gracious! I was told lead time was about 12 to 16 weeks right now. Granted, that’s for Competition black. I didn’t ask about any other colors.

Oh boy, I hope I’m not being given a load of BS. 4 months is fine. Give or take a month, I’m okay with that. But 3x the original stated window?! Oh that would seriously test my sanity.

But I really do want a Vanson. They look great whenever someone shares a pic (your cross-zip included @ton312 ), and testimonials about how the patterns work well for riding makes me want one even more. The heart wants what the heart wants I guess.

Schambach

Practically Family
Have you done any motorcycle riding with the Comet? I imagine the cut would allow for some free movement of the shoulders and arms. But I’ve tried on a couple “moto” jackets that were designed with zero consideration for riding comfort and movement. I’m seriously considering just purchasing one and trying it… The price is right, even though I already purchased a B. Who knows, maybe I’ll switch the B for a Brandy colored B. :D

Yes, I have, and it works very nicely on the bike for me at least. Vanson really nails it in that respect, even with the traditional patterns like the comet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points