Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson! Vanson! Vanson!

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
That looks great!

(For a second I thought you measured it in 9 dimensions and was trying to picture that)
I am 1.78m, 79kg, athletic. 17“ neck, 34“ sleeves in shirts, 39“ chest, 32“ waist. The Size 38 Enfield is a relaxed fit. Wouldn‘t want it any bigger. If the Royal is specced similarily on their website and you measure same as me which on first glance you do, I recommend you size down to 38.

mumpy

A-List Customer
I am 1.78m, 79kg, athletic. 17“ neck, 34“ sleeves in shirts, 39“ chest, 32“ waist. The Size 38 Enfield is a relaxed fit. Wouldn‘t want it any bigger. If the Royal is specced similarily on their website and you measure same as me which on first glance you do, I recommend you size down to 38.
We measure very similarly yes (chest is 40" for me but otherwise very similar). I think the Enfield might have a different pattern, I think I would have gone for a 38 in that. The Oxford seems to fit a bit more trim as a pattern from what I've read.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We measure very similarly yes (chest is 40" for me but otherwise very similar). I think the Enfield might have a different pattern, I think I would have gone for a 38 in that. The Oxford seems to fit a bit more trim as a pattern from what I've read.

Makes sense, like how in most Vansons, a 40 fits me dead on but in the Comet the 42 is a trim fit.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks that's very useful info.

What does chest ease mean here? Does it mean for a regular fit at tag size 40, there should be a difference of 6.5 inches between real chest size and jacket circumference at the chest?
I think Vanson use the Chest ease number to show how the jacket fits. My understanding is 4.5 = Japanese slim, 5.5 = American slim, 6.5 = American regular

The Oxford is not a slim jacket. It only looks slim from front and back because the way they cut and sewn the panels. If you check out the side profiles you will see they're more American regular fit

1685315361045.png

1685315411052.png

Image2.jpg

I also don't think Oxford is a good candidate for downsizing because of the very high armholes. See my oxford measurement here:

The regular fit Enfield has lower armholes, so downsize is possible on that, but Oxford already comes with high armholes like the shirt jacket type, it's just got wider torso with magical slim looking panels than the J-100 type jackets, but same high arm hole.

That's why I suggested the Royal Enfield, it's slimmer than the Oxford, has more detail like the throat latch, and has the one piece back. I am looking for that myself.

US dollars is strong right now, probably not the best time to buy Vanson from overseas. Vanson has a 10% off this weekend, but they also have those 15% off promos a few times throughout the year. Wait for those. Especially they've increased prices this year.

Aloysius

I think Vanson use the Chest ease number to show how the jacket fits. My understanding is 4.5 = Japanese slim, 5.5 = American slim, 6.5 = American regular

The Oxford is not a slim jacket. It only looks slim from front and back because the way they cut and sewn the panels. If you check out the side profiles you will see they're more American regular fit

I don’t think it works to make an equivalence between these sizes and fit types.

There are Vansons with 6” chest ease that are slim on me, others that are standard fit on me, etc. It all comes down to the pattern.

Likewise the fit photos on the site are often misleading.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Crashing the hardcore sizing/pattern/measurements discussion with a small initial impressions / show and tell / please give fit feedback post about the Vanson jacket that reached me last Monday (finally got a friend to take some fit pics outside last evening).

Got it from Italy through Vinted for ~450eu using @Marc mndt as a proxy. Huge thanks for that!
Chopper size S from Union Garage according to the seller:
https://uniongaragenyc.com/products/vanson-chopper-jacket
I'd say it's a size 36.
Leather : X150

Measurements (in cm) + indicating the deviation from my current theoretical ideal (yes I know measurements are not everything):
- Pit to pit : 51 (~2cm too wide)
- Waist : 47 (~4 cm too wide)
- Hem : 43
- Sleeve : 62
- Shoulders : 45
- Cuff open : 14
- Cuff closed : 11
- Bicep : 19
- Forearm : 16,5
- Arm hole : 24
- Back drop: 2 (shirt tail, back longer than front)
- Back : 66 (~4cm too long)
- Front length : 64 (~4cm too long)

Fit / measurement issues:
- Body too long (major)
- Waist too wide (medium)
- Chest too wide (minor)

Technical issues with this specific jacket:
- Zipper tape at the insert pin fraying/splitting (Major, not sure how to go about it)
- Some lining separating/splitting at the armpits (Minor, will get fixed)
Also plastic male insert pin and female stopper at the bottom are not ideal either. But it's original by Vanson.

Feel:
Heaviest jacket I've ever seen in my short career (so far) in this hobby. The folded collar really wants to dig into my collar bones when worn unzipper or partially zipped. Very moto/riding oriented - moving arms forward is a dream, moving them back - not so much. The double heavy duty hem cinch is rather overkill and shifts a lot of the weight of the jacket to the bottom hem. The stiff and heavy kidney panel doesn't help either in this perspective.

Future:
Haven't decided whether to keep it yet or not. I'd only be using it as a casual jacket for the nearest future as I don't ride. Might be a bit too much / too hardcore for that. On the other hand it's a very nice piece to keep as a reference point of a certain extreme. And it seems to fit ok.

Here are some fit pics and a pic of the zipper insert pin issue.
From my perspective apart from the length the jacket looks like it fits pretty good as a t-shirt only (as in the pictures).
Fits and feels even better layered.
Please give feedback about the fit! Decided not to make a separate thread about it..
Also these photos make me realize how crooked / parallel shifted my neck is haha.

1685340956452.png
1685341035653.png
1685341049241.png
1685341062164.png
1685341075024.png

1685341094189.png
1685341105339.png
1685341114429.png
1685341138548.png

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Aloysius The reason I think it is too long is not so much related to aesthetics, but rather to the fact that the jacket rides up and tries to choke me when I sit down (when fully zipped up). Or just floats up when partially zipped up. I guess a thinner jacket would kind of fold/bend around the waist but this one just won't give in as there are 4 layers of leather stacked on the chest.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Crashing the hardcore sizing/pattern/measurements discussion with a small initial impressions / show and tell / please give fit feedback post about the Vanson jacket that reached me last Monday (finally got a friend to take some fit pics outside last evening).

Got it from Italy through Vinted for ~450eu using @Marc mndt as a proxy. Huge thanks for that!
I'd say it's a size 36.

Measurements (in cm) + indicating the deviation from my current theoretical ideal (yes I know measurements are not everything):

- Body too long (major)
- Chest too wide (minor)

- Zipper tape at the insert pin fraying/splitting (Major, not sure how to go about it)
Also plastic male insert pin and female stopper at the bottom are not ideal either. But it's original by Vanson.

Feel:
Heaviest jacket I've ever seen in my short career (so far) in this hobby. The folded collar really wants to dig into my collar bones when worn unzipper or partially zipped. Very moto/riding oriented - moving arms forward is a dream, moving them back - not so much. The double heavy duty hem cinch is rather overkill and shifts a lot of the weight of the jacket to the bottom hem. The stiff and heavy kidney panel doesn't help either in this perspective.

Future:
Haven't decided whether to keep it yet or not. I'd only be using it as a casual jacket for the nearest future as I don't ride. Might be a bit too much / too hardcore for that. On the other hand it's a very nice piece to keep as a reference point of a certain extreme. And it seems to fit ok.

From my perspective apart from the length the jacket looks like it fits pretty good as a t-shirt only (as in the pictures).
Please give feedback about the fit! Decided not to make a separate thread about it..
Also these photos make me realize how crooked / parallel shifted my neck is haha.

View attachment 521277 View attachment 521278 View attachment 521279 View attachment 521280 View attachment 521281
View attachment 521282 View attachment 521283 View attachment 521284 View attachment 521285

Visually a great score. Yeah, maybe a hair long, but nothing really noteworthy.
I like your description of it being rather extreme for a casual jacket. Exactly the reason I am holding on to mine although it’s a bit on the snug side (believe me, that doesn’t help with this pattern and Lay-out as well…).
No reason not to wear it and see how your relationship evolves.

Aloysius

Visually a great score. Yeah, maybe a hair long, but nothing really noteworthy.
I like your description of it being rather extreme for a casual jacket. Exactly the reason I am holding on to mine although it’s a bit on the snug side (believe me, that doesn’t help with this pattern and Lay-out as well…).
No reason not to wear it and see how your relationship evolves.

One thing I noticed is that my non workwear friends both male and female, when I showed them the jackets I tried on at Vanson (just for fun), all fixated on the Chopper.

I think the features of CHP styles that to us feel purpose built and hardcore just look cool to ‘normal’ people because they’re not aware of a context that needs to be justified.

Mandarin

Practically Family

I'd say it's a size 36.

- Body too long (major)
- Chest too wide (minor)

Feel:

Future:

View attachment 521277 View attachment 521278 View attachment 521279 View attachment 521280 View attachment 521281
View attachment 521282 View attachment 521283 View attachment 521284 View attachment 521285
Great fit all around except in the back. I can only agree with you, it's too long. I have one myself and I use it exclusively on the bike, for which it is perfect. The kidney panel on mine barely reaches the back pockets, any longer would be unpractical. I tried on a Commando that was way too long, and didn't take it for that reason.
Anyway, it's a great jacket you put your hands on, and the X 150 makes it all the more valuable.

Aloysius

I still need to say about the length that it looks great.

Trust me, I don't sparing in my words when people are in disproportionately long jackets, like those 28" fashion brand cross-zips. This works.

mumpy

A-List Customer

View attachment 521246
View attachment 521247
View attachment 521248

I also don't think Oxford is a good candidate for downsizing because of the very high armholes. See my oxford measurement here:

The regular fit Enfield has lower armholes, so downsize is possible on that, but Oxford already comes with high armholes like the shirt jacket type, it's just got wider torso with magical slim looking panels than the J-100 type jackets, but same high arm hole.

That's why I suggested the Royal Enfield, it's slimmer than the Oxford, has more detail like the throat latch, and has the one piece back. I am looking for that myself.

US dollars is strong right now, probably not the best time to buy Vanson from overseas. Vanson has a 10% off this weekend, but they also have those 15% off promos a few times throughout the year. Wait for those. Especially they've increased prices this year.
Great info, thanks!

I like the Royal Enfield but I love the collar of the Oxford. I will learn to deal with the two piece back I guess :(

mumpy

A-List Customer

I'd say it's a size 36.

- Body too long (major)
- Chest too wide (minor)

Feel:

Future:

Looks great man, badass!

I am also a bit paranoid about length, visually a tad long but I think you rock it well. It might also need a bit of breaking in so when you sit down it doesn't ride up that much. I have the same issue with my 613SH when I drive. I flip it at the bottom a bit and it feels much better.

EDIT: As you mentioned, this type of jacket satisfies a certain category of heavy MC jacket. Might be worth keeping for that reason. You never know, maybe you will want to pick up riding too!

Last edited:
That bottom hem is thick and really hard to break in. Years of work and you may get there. Maybe.

Perhaps a two-way zip to make it a bit more comfortable to sit in? I don’t like unzipping my jackets to sit. My jackets are almost always zipped up. So a two way zip or shorter jacket is my preference.

I agree with Mandarin 100%. And the X is awesome. One of my all time favorites.

abone

A-List Customer
The length looks fine for casual wear. If you rode, then it might be annoying unless as @JMax suggested you install a two-way zip. But you don’t ride so it’s a non issue.
You’ve got some room for layering too. With my Chopper it’s like a second skin so can only wear two thin layers, nothing thick.
Maybe a hot water soak and wear to dry and it will be a perfect fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana