Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson! Vanson! Vanson!

abone

A-List Customer
It likely is.

Here's my HH Comet with the tag and Riri zip for comparison.

A real beauty. Love it.
View attachment 536430
Jacket scheduled to arrive this week so all I’ve got are the sellers pics. It does look like comp weight but a couple pics make me go hmmm.
Same zips and pulls as yours. And some awesome grain. Half as nice as yours and I’ll be happy, too tight I’ll be pissed.

Attachments

• IMG_8296.jpeg
    IMG_8296.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_8295.jpeg
    IMG_8295.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_8294.jpeg
    IMG_8294.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 156
Jacket scheduled to arrive this week so all I’ve got are the sellers pics. It does look like comp weight but a couple pics make me go hmmm.
Same zips and pulls as yours. And some awesome grain. Half as nice as yours and I’ll be happy, too tight I’ll be pissed.
Oh man that's GOLDEN ERA™ comp weight! The best Vanson ever offered. I had an E in that leather. It's better than the horse and frankly any other leather ever, in all of history.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Speaking of Vanson leather quality, I have a tan Van Swedish riding jacket, anyone know what leather this is?
It’s definitely as thick as comp weight, it’s very supple, in person it’s not as shiny as in these pictures. It’s got some beautiful textures going on, I really like it.
I do think it needs to be worn in a couple storms, and then conditioned with some beeswax product and really get the grain to pop…
Ton312, I think I’ve seen some jackets you dyed? Any thoughts on this hide?
I don’t think this is the deer tanned cow hide, probably just brown comp weight. Really nice though.

Attachments

• E0FCDD04-2E6A-4E66-A961-6D25BD985E87.jpeg
    E0FCDD04-2E6A-4E66-A961-6D25BD985E87.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
  • C2A48193-9C15-4DB8-B2CF-D131ED76DE0B.jpeg
    C2A48193-9C15-4DB8-B2CF-D131ED76DE0B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 81
  • F00B59CA-F51C-477A-95D7-B3320673DA44.jpeg
    F00B59CA-F51C-477A-95D7-B3320673DA44.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
Speaking of Vanson leather quality, I have a tan Van Swedish riding jacket, anyone know what leather this is?
It’s definitely as thick as comp weight, it’s very supple, in person it’s not as shiny as in these pictures. It’s got some beautiful textures going on, I really like it.
I do think it needs to be worn in a couple storms, and then conditioned with some beeswax product and really get the grain to pop…
Ton312, I think I’ve seen some jackets you dyed? Any thoughts on this hide?
I don’t think this is the deer tanned cow hide, probably just brown comp weight. Really nice though.
That’s brown/tan comp weight for sure. If you want it darker I would give it a wipe down with rubbing alcohol then apply Fiebings medium brow dye. Dilute the dye with rubbing alcohol. I’ve found you can easily get 2-4 jackets out of a 4oz bottle, depending how dark you go. For a topcoat I’d use resolene. Also needs diluting. 50/50 water for a high gloss. Before you seal it, if you want it a little darker still, apply some dark brown Urad. This way you can throttle the color a bit. I’ve said it before but it bears repeating….when you undertake the dye process you have to resign yourself to it. If you’re on the fence or afraid to ruin it, don’t do it. I usually dye my jackets out of anger at that current state, so I have already forgiven the outcome. That said, I’ve only really destroyed one and that was well before I knew what I was doing.

Al 916

One Too Many
That’s brown/tan comp weight for sure. If you want it darker I would give it a wipe down with rubbing alcohol then apply Fiebings medium brow dye. Dilute the dye with rubbing alcohol. I’ve found you can easily get 2-4 jackets out of a 4oz bottle, depending how dark you go. For a topcoat I’d use resolene. Also needs diluting. 50/50 water for a high gloss. Before you seal it, if you want it a little darker still, apply some dark brown Urad. This way you can throttle the color a bit. I’ve said it before but it bears repeating….when you undertake the dye process you have to resign yourself to it. If you’re on the fence or afraid to ruin it, don’t do it. I usually dye my jackets out of anger at that current state, so I have already forgiven the outcome. That said, I’ve only really destroyed one and that was well before I knew what I was doing.
Is this what you did with the Model F Ton?

Do you have any process pics?

Is this what you did with the Model F Ton?

Do you have any process pics?
No with model F I just used oil and Urad b/c the original color was much darker (it was sun/ weather bleached). More restorative than additive. That said it could easily be dyed. That jacket will soak up dye with little effort. You’d need to soak it first and wash off the URAD. Maybe wipe lightly with alcohol. I’ve only had to resort to acetone when I want to strip off dog turd brown, mainly from 5*.

Al 916

One Too Many
No with model F I just used oil and Urad b/c the original color was much darker (it was sun/ weather bleached). More restorative than additive. That said it could easily be dyed. That jacket will soak up dye with little effort. You’d need to soak it first and wash off the URAD. Maybe wipe lightly with alcohol. I’ve only had to resort to acetone when I want to strip off dog turd brown, mainly from 5*.
I like the F just the way the colour is now (as soon as it comes back from having it's sleeves shortened I will)

newtojackets

Practically Family
Vanson x left field commando. This jacket is built like a tank, and almost 3kg!

Does anyone know if this leather breaks in / becomes less stiff? Currently the jacket is a bit too large around the waist, but I think that’s because the leather is so stiff that it doesn’t drape. Can I expect this to change over time? IMG_3185.jpeg IMG_3186.jpeg

newtojackets

Practically Family
Vanson x left field commando. This jacket is built like a tank, and almost 3kg!

Does anyone know if this leather breaks in / becomes less stiff? Currently the jacket is a bit too large around the waist, but I think that’s because the leather is so stiff that it doesn’t drape. Can I expect this to change over time? View attachment 537601 View attachment 537602
@Carlos840 I read your review here, would appreciate your thoughts on this!

Carlos still has his, and a HH Commando. Mine is long gone. But I do have experience with the X, probably my favorite Vanson hide. Short answer, yes. Long answer, yes, and beautifully imo.

newtojackets

Practically Family
Carlos still has his, and a HH Commando. Mine is long gone. But I do have experience with the X, probably my favorite Vanson hide. Short answer, yes. Long answer, yes, and beautifully imo.
Any chance you have any photos of your before / after?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR