Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vegecow Lewis Leathers quality

For me, the magic is when it gets here:
97B91D9A-CCE3-4D0B-A59C-B04C9E512B51.jpeg
and judging from those creases already...it shouldn’t take too long, but it will require commitment.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@Marc mndt Marc, please a question just out of interest... how long did it take from order to shipment?
On the order confirmation it says "Orders take approximately 12-24 weeks from point of order to delivery. "

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
For me, the magic is when it gets here:
View attachment 356361
and judging from those creases already...it shouldn’t take too long, but it will require commitment.
this might have just sold me on the green and square badge logo. I was already kind of there, but slightly wavering. Even though it is more "green" than I was originally going to be comfortable with, there's a certain antique charm to it. Could be some lighting/photography razzle dazzle, but damn this looks cool. Probably wouldn't be an every day jacket for me, but then again, none are because I've got 20 damn jackets LOL.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
This...in green! with tan zips...
View attachment 356394
man o’ man.....
that's originally where I was headed, then took a left turn on the 402 before a detour on the 392 (only us SoCal people will get the joke)

I think I'm saving some powder for a classic black and beige tape down the road depending on how I like the first one. Since I have a Schott 118, I want something different color wise for another cross zip. So I think I'm going to go green 402 and then maybe do a black dominator down the road. We'll see. But then there's blue too. aye ya ya ya...

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Lewis Leathers Cyclone in British racing green sheepskin

This is the 5th Lewis Leathers jacket that I own(ed). As a rule I don't buy new what can be bought second hand/vintage. I've tried buying vintage LL but only one out of four vintage buys turned out to be a good fit. Second hand (non-vintage) jackets are easier to find in a proper size. However, pretty much all of them are made from their heavily coated horsehide which isn't all that interesting imo. Then I learned about their vegetable tanned sheepskin (thanks to @Canuck Panda MK2 review). I own a 70s Super Monza in sheepskin which is absolutely awesome so I decided to take the plunge and ordered a brand-new British racing green sheepskin Cyclone.

Fit/sizing

According to Rip I'm right in between sizes with my 43inch chest circumference. Since I prefer to wear my jackets snug I decided to go for a 42. Based on my body measurements, Rip suggested a body length of 64 cm, sleeve length of 65 cm and 102 cm for the hem. Apart from the body length (which I preferred a tiny bit shorter) I went with all the suggested measurements.

image00004.jpeg

I'm quite happy with the fit. There's more than enough room to wear it over a sweater so I'm glad I didn't size up. All the jacket measurements are 100% spot on (just like with my custom FL jacket). Which makes me wonder why other well known makers work with tolerances of half an inch up or down. Anyway, as said I'm quite happy with the fit. For any future orders I'd go for a smaller bottom hem though. 102 cm turned out to be just a bit too wide. Luckily the sheepskin is very pliable so I can make good use of those side adjusters.

image00005.jpeg

The sleeve opening feels a tiny bit wide. I prefer the sleeves of a mc jacket to fit snug around my wrist when fully zipped up.

Cyclone vs vintage Super Monza (my vintage Phantom was even more tight)

image00002.jpeg

The hide

When I asked for a very grainy hide to be used for my jacket, Rip told me he couldn't guarantee anything because they have to work with what's in stock. So I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box this morning. The grain is out of this world and I absolutely love the color. I'll let the pics do the talking.

The hide feels spongy. Of course that was to be expected with sheepskin, but it's spongier than my sheepskin Eastman A1. It's also spongier than my 70s sheepskin Super Monza, which feels both denser and heavier. I've put both of them on the scale, the Super Monza (size 40) weights 2007gram. The Cyclone (size42) weights 1740 gram. To be clear, the jacket doesn't feel flimsy at all. But if you're looking for a serious mc jacket, this is not that. This is definitively more of a fashion jacket. Despite it's sponginess, some nice sleeve creases developed within the first minutes of wear.

image00009.jpeg
image00008.jpeg

image00007.jpeg

LL lets you choose between black or beige zipper tape. I think the beige goes nice with the racing green.

image00010.jpeg

Unlike the handwarmer pockets which are pretty small, the slash/chest pocket is of decent size. It's oriented to the left, which makes it easily accessible with your right hand.

image00006.jpeg

Build quality is decent. Stitching is not perfect but it's neat without any wobbling or empty holes. What's less neat is the hanging loop, which is stitched all the way through the collar (unlike my vintage LL jackets). It's probably sturdier to attach it this way but it doesn't look all that good from the back of the collar. For a future order I'd probably ask them to skip the hanging loop all together because I don't use it anyway.

image00001.jpeg

Just a year ago I was pretty confident that I would never buy a LL because of the brandpatch. I hate brand patches in general. But somehow with LL it has grown on me. I guess that's because of their motorcycle racing heritage. As you can see, the modern brand patch is slightly more discrete than its 70s predecessor.

image00003.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo