Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vegecow Lewis Leathers quality

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
Well this thread is sure bad for your bank balance - Ive just ordered a Lightning 402 in black sheepskin based on some of the recent pictures. I was originally going to pony up the extra for a vege cow one, but all the sheepskin hides shown look great so fingers crossed Ill be pleased whenever it arrives. I assume I now wait to be contacted by Lewis Leathers for measurements and other info (lining type, zipper tape colour etc)?

Also if Im tracking this correctly the racing green is spectacular and seems to look quite muted like more of a duller black than actual green from the pictures - is this also the case in the flesh?

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Very well done, Marc!

The colour-combination BRG-red quilted liner-beige zipper tape works extremely well, IMO. Plus it´s the classical choice for a LL.
I think you did well going for the 42. I find the LL cross-zips to run slightly larger than the Corsair/Dominator pattern. I have the Lightning 402 in 42 and tried the Super Monza which was even a bit generous in 42. However, 42 in the straight zips felt unduly restrictive.

The hide is spectacular, and I mean not only the colour but also the prominent graining. Mine is much smoother and I wonder what I can do to it with regular wear.

Question to self: Do I now need another LL in BRG?

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
I have submitted my measurements taken as requested by the various (really helpful) videos Lewis put together, am I right in saying that they will now at some point come back to me with the proposed resulting jacket dimensions for approval?, or if not would anyone be good enough to let me know how it works?

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I have submitted my measurements taken as requested by the various (really helpful) videos Lewis put together, am I right in saying that they will now at some point come back to me with the proposed resulting jacket dimensions for approval?, or if not would anyone be good enough to let me know how it works?
Yes. I think I'm like 1 day ahead of you LOL. You'll get an email next day or two with a "calculation" of what they think the jacket measurements should be. I'm currently cross checking a couple jackets but their recommendations are really super close. The stock 42 for the 402 model at least is pretty darn close. Needed a little more body and sleeve length and for my own tastes (but probably would have been fine as stock), and I'm going to take in the bottom hem number slightly (again, probably fine as is, but just being nit picky).

Pandemic

One Too Many

Yep, now Rip will tell you their recommendation. You can provide the measurements you were thinking of and see what the difference is, then discuss what you want.

The final step is when you get a work order written up that you reply to saying you are happy to proceed to manufacturing.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To those who own a Racing Jacket 442....
Does this jacket have a front drop? Is it positive or negative? In other words, if the jacket lays flat is it longer in the front or back?
I'm going to get this info anyway, but I'm interested in the owners experience.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
To those who own a Racing Jacket 442....
Does this jacket have a front drop? Is it positive or negative? In other words, if the jacket lays flat is it longer in the front or back?
I'm going to get this info anyway, but I'm interested in the owners experience.
I have the Super Sportsman, which is essentially the same pattern but without padding and it has little if any front drop - see attached
9FE1A166-CAB3-45FA-A475-1E4564A88D78.jpeg
4017CAE4-1047-471D-A22E-3EDA2D9A93D9.jpeg

MrProper

I have the Super Sportsman, which is essentially the same pattern but without padding and it has little if any front drop - see attached View attachment 356748 View attachment 356749

Thank you very much.
The reason I ask is because I need to take this into account when considering the length of the jacket.
I don't particularly like it when the jacket is too short in the front. I.e. no or negative front drop means to lengthen jacket accordingly.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
8F68D599-2184-41EF-BE31-7A0B0879E4FC.jpeg

Style 1:
Western jacket. No front drop

Style 2:
Cyclone. No front drop

Style 3:
Lightning. Mine has a beaver tail of half an inch.

Style 4:
Super Phantom / Super Monza. Mine has a beaver tail of one inch.

Style 5:
Don't know. Black arrow?

I'm not sure which number corresponds with the super sportsman but I think the jacket is blunt cut.

MrProper

View attachment 356768

Style 1:
Western jacket. No front drop

Style 2:
Cyclone. No front drop

Style 3:
Lightning. Mine has a beaver tail of half an inch.

Style 4:
Super Phantom / Super Monza. Mine has a beaver tail of one inch.

Style 5:
Don't know. Black arrow?

I'm not sure which number corresponds with the super sportsman but I think the jacket is blunt cut.
Thanks Marc.
Have since received feedback from LL that there is virtually no front drop on the Racing Jacket 442.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Fine tuning some measurements with Rip this morning. So what it boils down to is LL is going to have a V shape from chest to bottom hem. It's part of their look. That sort of "pinch" I was talking about in the waist is not possible. Also the hem and waist work together obviously to maintain a certain angle of taper. The Hem measurement can only be changed in increments of 5cm (at least for the 402 model) which then affects the waist measurement in similar ratio. So basically if you are on the edge of measurement, it's a pretty big jump to go up or down.

For mine (and I think this will be true for you too Mr Proper where they will mix sizes), I'm basically getting a size 42 base for chest and size 40 for body, and then some lengthening of sleeves and length. I'll also bring the shoulders in a little bit. So there is quite a bit of customization, but it's not like dialing in the numbers like a Five Star kind of thing. TBH, I don't want to play designer and really don't want to mess things up. I'm buying a LL for a reason to achieve that look, so I think the above is fine.

I sent him a bunch of fit picks and they were all from the Japanese IG account. he said those "tight fit" styles are cut differently and doing from the Europe shop was tricky without getting properly fitted. It's tighter arm holes, narrower shoulders, etc. So I didn't want to mess with it too much. I'll check out buyee down the road to see if anything pops. Or maybe someday I'll go to Tokyo. Wow, the wallet would not survive between LL and RMC LOL.

Pandemic

One Too Many
Fine tuning some measurements with Rip this morning. So what it boils down to is LL is going to have a V shape from chest to bottom hem. It's part of their look. That sort of "pinch" I was talking about in the waist is not possible. Also the hem and waist work together obviously to maintain a certain angle of taper. The Hem measurement can only be changed in increments of 5cm (at least for the 402 model) which then affects the waist measurement in similar ratio. So basically if you are on the edge of measurement, it's a pretty big jump to go up or down.

For mine (and I think this will be true for you too Mr Proper where they will mix sizes), I'm basically getting a size 42 base for chest and size 40 for body, and then some lengthening of sleeves and length. I'll also bring the shoulders in a little bit. So there is quite a bit of customization, but it's not like dialing in the numbers like a Five Star kind of thing. TBH, I don't want to play designer and really don't want to mess things up. I'm buying a LL for a reason to achieve that look, so I think the above is fine.

I sent him a bunch of fit picks and they were all from the Japanese IG account. he said those "tight fit" styles are cut differently and doing from the Europe shop was tricky without getting properly fitted. It's tighter arm holes, narrower shoulders, etc. So I didn't want to mess with it too much. I'll check out buyee down the road to see if anything pops. Or maybe someday I'll go to Tokyo. Wow, the wallet would not survive between LL and RMC LOL.

Interesting. I has assumed I would be a 38T and was surprised when he fit me to the European/standard 38. Further back in this thread is the full size charts for both. I assumed Rip went for standard 38 with me because of the wider shoulders.

My final order form stated 11cm off the hem but I have not measured, so maybe that was rounded to 10cm.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
Interesting. I has assumed I would be a 38T and was surprised when he fit me to the European/standard 38. Further back in this thread is the full size charts for both. I assumed Rip went for standard 38 with me because of the wider shoulders.

My final order form stated 11cm off the hem but I have not measured, so maybe that was rounded to 10cm.
LL are already pretty fitted tbh and their tight fits for the Japanese market are v narrow and long in the body and arms imo - I tried the equivalent base model in one of the latter and it was a terrible fit for me, being really narrow in the shoulders and tight around the chest, so I would be wary of tight fits unless you really have the right body form for them - in my case it went too far in the wrong direction and the European base model worked much better with a bit of tweaking….if you are very lean I am sure they would look amazing, but check the actual dimensions against your own carefully to be sure…..

Pandemic

One Too Many
LL are already pretty fitted tbh and their tight fits for the Japanese market are v narrow and long in the body and arms imo - I tried the equivalent base model in one of the latter and it was a terrible fit for me, being really narrow in the shoulders and tight around the chest, so I would be wary of tight fits unless you really have the right body form for them - in my case it went too far in the wrong direction and the European base model worked much better with a bit of tweaking….if you are very lean I am sure they would look amazing, but check the actual dimensions against your own carefully to be sure…..

For sure. Having received my ‘European fit’, I am genuinely curious how a ‘tight fit’ could be any slimmer. At most, I think I can pinch about an inch of excess fabric high in the chest. I suppose the arms could be just a little slimmer, but not much more without restricting movement.

I’ll withhold final comment until I’ve worn it more, but it for now I can’t find a single measurement I’d change if I were ordering again.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
On paper at least, my 402 will fit pretty close to my vanson commando cxl. Except 3cm shorter in length and about 4cm narrower in shoulder. Body and body taper is almost the same. I'm totally happy with that especially since itll be sheep and have a little more give than cxl.

If I get anywhere near this in that beautiful green, I'll say it's a major win.

20210507_090356.jpg

MrProper

Poor Rip. I think he told that about (chest+hem)/2 = waist to several over the last few days. At least I got the explanation too when I asked about waist adjustments.
Also that the dimensions can be changed only in steps of 5 cm.
Fortunately, it fits for me and so my green jacket makes its way into production.
Will probably be a Japanese model. Long and narrow. Lol

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Poor Rip. I think he told that about (chest+hem)/2 = waist to several over the last few days. At least I got the explanation too when I asked about waist adjustments.
Also that the dimensions can be changed only in steps of 5 cm.
Fortunately, it fits for me and so my green jacket makes its way into production.
Will probably be a Japanese model. Long and narrow. Lol

excellent. so you're locked? me too. I'm guessing maybe 2 weeks. Whatever, it's fine. My bday isnt until Jan so most likely I'll buy another bday jacket by then LOL :eek::cool:

what's cool is that in this latest episode of keeping up with Joneses, we've all gotten different models and/or color schemes so far. That Dominator keeps calling my name though. I've sold 7 jackets these past few weeks and "only" bought 3. I like the total number now. So if I do pull the trigger on something new, I'm going to have to identify another jacket or two to offload, and then figure out where the hole will be with the collection. Black Dom in the lead with a dark brown cyclone in close second and wild card long shot blue something in third. First world problems, I know. I'm very grateful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk