Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vegecow Lewis Leathers quality

Drive

New in Town
Had my mind set on a Real McCoy’s Nelson, went in store last week to try it on but due to a covid belly it was too tight and the nextsize up (44) was massive, I plan to loss the weight but want the jacket to fit now just in case I don’t lose it or I put the weigh back on so the RM was a no
And then I found this thread!!
i went in yesterday and ordered a custom VegCow Dominator, the leather looks amazing, I was more impressed with it than the RM.
not sure what their sizes are like or maybe I’m bigger than first thought but the 44 fitted the best, bringing the shoulders and back in a little and having the length a little longer but the chest was spot on,
I was told the wait time has been 5 months lately but they are catching up so should be around 3 months

SimonR

One of the Regulars
So I knew I shouldn't have read all through this thread .... I'd wanted sheep when had my lightening but hey ho

Sent an email to just enquire if there was a chance of a 44" super sportsman in sheep .......

Rip got straight back and yes they have one in stock and all the measurements seem to line up apart from hem - seems 2 1/2 inches bigish but wonder if the adjusters will handle this.
Just waiting to hear back on what lining / zip it has :D

Simon

Pandemic

One Too Many
Update ........ The stock jacket was in HH so ordered a Supersportsman in 44" in black sheep with black lining :)

Rip was excellent throughout and it is interesting that they will infact do a 44" in sheep when the website says 42 is the maximum

Just a waiting game now

Simon
Good move. Getting a custom fit is definitely worth the wait, imo.

7amza

Familiar Face
Hi everyone, going through this thread inspired me to pull the trigger on a second custom LL jacket earlier this week (March 15th)- went with 392 Star Lightning in Rutland sheep with their standard red quilted lining and black satin sleeves.

Edit: beige tape zippers too

Quoted 6-12weeks waiting time but dreaming of a 2-3week miracle!

Last edited:

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’ve felt really tempted to place an order lately, need to ask about wait times because I would want to wear it on my upcoming trip (when a sheep jacket would be just right)— and of course I wouldn’t want it to arrive while I’m away.

I’m also running about 10 lbs heavier than my usual weight given my current activity level, which reverses pretty quickly when I’m in my normal routine, so I’d have to make sure it’s sized according to my usual size, not something that would be too big in usual times.

7amza

Familiar Face
I’ve felt really tempted to place an order lately, need to ask about wait times because I would want to wear it on my upcoming trip (when a sheep jacket would be just right)— and of course I wouldn’t want it to arrive while I’m away.

I’m also running about 10 lbs heavier than my usual weight given my current activity level, which reverses pretty quickly when I’m in my normal routine, so I’d have to make sure it’s sized according to my usual size, not something that would be too big in usual times.
I also ended up putting in a second order for a BRG Cyclone after seeing some of the green sheep skin jackets shown on here.

I'm pretty sure Rip would be very helpful in feeding back and honing in on what size to go for given your current situation.

Waiting time ill have to update you on once I get the "jacket shipped" legendary email..:)

Damon141

Practically Family
I’ve been really thinking about one of these classics. I’d have to email them to see if they can do a Sheep with a inhaled chest circumference of 122cm or 48”.

I’m drooling over the veg tanned cow but I don’t know if I could justify the cost of over $600usd. That’s a lot of extra cost, they way they are up charging it’s makes you wonder how little they pay for the sheep.

Usually it seems to be couple hundred dollars for a leather upgrade from Aero or Simmons Built. It reminds me when you look at cars like a BMW M3 or Alfa Romeo quadrifoglio, they nearly double in price as if they are adding a second engine or as if there was no savings in removing the standard engine. I hope that made sense.

Aloysius

I think their pricing is quite transparent.

The construction cost of all of the jackets is comparable, then you have the leather. The 'basic' horse that they use doesn't necessarily have the aesthetic features we want, but it's not subpar. It seems to be very good at its intended purpose (protective wear), which is why it's the leather they use in their armoured jackets.

The price of this is baked in, then you pay the difference for what the other leathers cost.

I'm still pretty sure I'll go for Rutland but I might be back in London sometime this summer so I might just pop into Lewis, handle everything and get measured up.

Damon141

Practically Family
I guess what I’m trying to explain is that $600 just for an upgrade is quite a bit. I’m willing to bet they get it cheaper than Shinki or else they would be using that considering it’s popular status. I’m not complaining because there are other options but saying they must get the sheep extremely cheap to have to charge $600 extra for veg cow.

I want it though, sounds amazing

Aloysius

I don't know that they'd be using Shinki, or that I'd agree their own premium leather is worse than Shinki. They don't seem to be chasing that market, but a different one.

Their core audience wouldn't be interested; their Japanese audience would be even less interested.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Lewis veg sheep is really the one to go with. The regular horse is very durable but also very boring painted flat leather. The veg cow is too much, and it looks only surface dyed. Lewis is trying to move up market with it but there are many other options in that upper bracket that offers proven leather like Shinki and Badalassi. Lewis veg sheepskin is really special.

Finn Vigorous

One of the Regulars
Lewis veg sheepskin is really special.

This - super soft and great drape, a lot of character and yet reasonably priced.

Their veg. tanned sheep has also became somewhat of a trademark for Lewis over the years. That was also an easy choice when I ordered my Corsair half a year ago, and I would go for that route again when ordering another jacket, maybe in brown this time.

Damon141

Practically Family
If it were black as a choice, veg tan sheep would be a better choice than the rutland sheep?

I think someone said the rutland was tougher but mine would be purely for enjoyment so I wouldn’t worry about it like someone riding.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I've seen a few really nice shots of the Rutland and veg cow. Never handled, but they sure look nice in pics.

I have a BRG in sheep and it's amazing. It is very light and drapey, yet has some substance to it. I can't imagine anyone feeling safe in it while riding though, but I don't ride, so not an issue for me. Was a good offset to the endless CXL and other thick jackets I have. Very easy grab and go jacket, but not as thin/flimsy as a mall style lambskin jacket, but like I said, I wouldn't want to take a tumble in it either.

Aloysius

If it were black as a choice, veg tan sheep would be a better choice than the rutland sheep?

I think someone said the rutland was tougher but mine would be purely for enjoyment so I wouldn’t worry about it like someone riding.

Rutland is combination veg/chrome tan, so best of both worlds.

I want it because sheep is traditional for the jacket/era of Lewis I'm interested in (Lighting 402). I might consider one of the tougher leathers if I were getting my other fave Lewis (Universal Racer 1930s).

Damon141

Practically Family
I wish I stumbled across Lewis Leathers earlier, they seem like a tremendous value and surprisingly quick turnaround for a custom fitted jacket.
I can’t decide between a Super Sportsman or Dominator.

Aloysius

Depends on the model and personal preferences, but they are completely different hides: The Rutland Sheep is more rugged and pebbly, and also more durable to abrasion etc., while the regular one is smoother.

A jacket in Rutland looks like this: https://huibenshop.com/products/lewis-leathers-sheep-leather-cyclone-jacket

I think that's a pretty extreme example. Usually I've seen it range from mostly smooth to pebbly sheep grain like this:

harchmarch5-img1106x1200-1610198731e6yc2z16667.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo