Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vegecow Lewis Leathers quality

Damon141

Practically Family
Thank you . I’m literally panicking in my mind because I was just assuming they were busy then you said they contacted you the next day. I’m thinking just my luck that my first custom measured jacket will end up a stock 44.

Maybe with RIP’S departure things are moving a little slower. I do know they were apparently on a holiday Easter break this past Monday, strangely late. Unless they celebrate later in England.

Right after I ordered I noticed something I hadn’t before, that Himel Bros has a cheaper option than the Kensington, which is the Pinecrest, I think it’s like $500 less which is quite a bit. Seems like I’m going to have to check into that when the Lewis arrives. It will be good because I should finally have a good jacket to base measurements on for the future.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
Thank you . I’m literally panicking in my mind because I was just assuming they were busy then you said they contacted you the next day. I’m thinking just my luck that my first custom measured jacket will end up a stock 44.

Maybe with RIP’S departure things are moving a little slower. I do know they were apparently on a holiday Easter break this past Monday, strangely late. Unless they celebrate later in England.

Right after I ordered I noticed something I hadn’t before, that Himel Bros has a cheaper option than the Kensington, which is the Pinecrest, I think it’s like $500 less which is quite a bit. Seems like I’m going to have to check into that when the Lewis arrives. It will be good because I should finally have a good jacket to base measurements on for the future.
I am also concerned about the dip in service since Rip left - I sent them a query about fit for a new jacket on 14th April and not heard anything since. This is v unlike how it used to be and I am wary of parting with any money on a custom order unless they improve and get back on track to the same excellent level they had with Rip. I am not going to put in any new custom orders as a result - for fear of ending up with a stock jacket several months down the line. If others on here have had recent positive experiences that have resulted in a correctly sized fit jacket I would be keen to know. Ignoring customer emails like this is v worrying given how great they were before…..and no longer on a par with Aero, Field Leathers etc.

Damon141

Practically Family
They had a post on instagram that they were looking for a customer service rep for emails etc. Hopefully it’s ok, I know if you look back a page or two you will see that a couple members are also waiting on custom orders and they have dealt with the new guy.

I don’t know how much RIP had to do with the actual fit of the jacket or if he just handled the correspondence but I hope this doesn’t interfere with the actual jacket production or we will have a problem.

I will call and feel it out on Monday and if I get the idea that an inexperienced person is handling fitting then I will cancel the order. I’m surely not going to pay $1,800 for a bad fit.

Damon141

Practically Family
Received a response from AKI this morning apologizing and saying he was going to double check my order and get back to me.

Damon141

Practically Family
So I’m not really confident in the sizing suggestion

Here is the response:
Good afternoon. I hope you are well.

I have suggestion for your measurement. Let me know what you think.

Chest:44"
Body Length: 63,5cm
Sleeve Length: 63cm

I apologise for the delay.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Have a nice weekend.

Here are the measurements I took:

Size 44
Height 175 cm
Chest 116 cm
Bicep 40 cm ?video tells you to measure with arm at side, then written site says to measure touching ear? Company is too large to have mistakes like this
Hem 100cm
Waist 95cm
Sleeve length 59.5 cm
Body length 63cm

Looks like I’m going to have to do his job for him. If I went by his suggestion the sleeves would be near my fingertips and the jacket wouldn’t zip up.

I feel like I’m going to pay $1,700 usd for a jacket that doesn’t fit. I’m on the verge of canceling.

I purposely ordered a 5 star so I could use it as a test jacket for more expensive purchases.
Sizing was
Chest 60cm p2p or 120cm circumference
Bicep 44cm circumference
Waist 96cm circumference
Hem 100cm circumference
Shoulders 49cm
Sleeve length 61cm straight down
Body length (back) 63cm

So based on the picture below I know the shoulders are too wide, chest too small, waist and hem too narrow to drape properly.

A better fit might be:
Chest 62cm p2p or 124cm circumference
Shoulders 47cm
Waist 100cm
Hem 105cm
Body length 63cm
Sleeve length 61cm

Any help welcome and appreciated

Attachments

• 858D05BF-0585-4639-807F-410DD180A1B2.jpeg
    858D05BF-0585-4639-807F-410DD180A1B2.jpeg
    389.6 KB · Views: 113

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Did Lewis increase their price? It was more like Aero price ($1200). Even the veg cows upgrade was only about $200 more. Everything has gone up in prices in the past year. Sigh...

That is very little info they provided you with. No hem measures. No mentioning of what will be customized. Not very comforting. UK laws says you can return anything within two weeks I believe, so there is some assurance of that. But make sure its refund not store credit.

To be fair I believe Lewis only tapers the torso for custom orders, (from my one experience), but not sleeves. Rip tried to fit me into the closest stock size then taper down, like Langlitz. Although Langlitz may also taper the sleeves, not sure on that one. The increment in sizing (Lewis) is 0.5" for shoulder, 1" for every other measurement like P2P...etc. for different sizings. That's what was on my MK1 jacket.

Damon141

Practically Family
Yeah he didn’t provide me with anything and he combined inches and centimeters in the same message. Unless he didn’t mean to make the “ sign and just meant size 44.

The Veg Cow boosted the price considerably but I know myself too well and if I went with the sheep then I would always wonder about the Veg Cow.

From reading you guy’s experiences I knew that they would take the closest size and modify so we are on the same page regarding that. I was going to go with the size 44 and ask to bring the shoulders in to 47cm, shorten the sleeves, and taper the body.

This is the size chart I found on the Super Sportsman
SIZE32343638404244464850
CHEST9297102107112117122127132137
HEM83899499104109114119124129
LENGTH63,56464,564,56565,56666,56767,5
SHOULDER44,54545,546,547,54950,55253,554,5
SLEEVE LENGTH62,56363,5646565,565,5

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So I’m not really confident in the sizing suggestion

Here is the response:
Good afternoon. I hope you are well.

I have suggestion for your measurement. Let me know what you think.

Chest:44"
Body Length: 63,5cm
Sleeve Length: 63cm

I apologise for the delay.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Have a nice weekend.

Here are the measurements I took:

Size 44
Height 175 cm
Chest 116 cm
Bicep 40 cm ?video tells you to measure with arm at side, then written site says to measure touching ear? Company is too large to have mistakes like this
Hem 100cm
Waist 95cm
Sleeve length 59.5 cm
Body length 63cm

Looks like I’m going to have to do his job for him. If I went by his suggestion the sleeves would be near my fingertips and the jacket wouldn’t zip up.

I feel like I’m going to pay $1,700 usd for a jacket that doesn’t fit. I’m on the verge of canceling.

I purposely ordered a 5 star so I could use it as a test jacket for more expensive purchases.
Sizing was
Chest 60cm p2p or 120cm circumference
Bicep 44cm circumference
Waist 96cm circumference
Hem 100cm circumference
Shoulders 49cm
Sleeve length 61cm straight down
Body length (back) 63cm

So based on the picture below I know the shoulders are too wide, chest too small, waist and hem too narrow to drape properly.

A better fit might be:
Chest 62cm p2p or 124cm circumference
Shoulders 47cm
Waist 100cm
Hem 105cm
Body length 63cm
Sleeve length 61cm

Any help welcome and appreciated
You won't get a narrower waist than the hem at LL. They go in a straight line from P2P down to the hem. Done. No tailoring at the waist. You'll get a true V.

Damon141

Practically Family
Good call I remember you mentioned that you wished yours was a little tighter.

So they will taper to a specific number though right?

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Good call I remember you mentioned that you wished yours was a little tighter.

Everyone sung the praises of Rip, and I agree for the most part. I kind of had to insist on my ptp and waist measurement and I'm glad I did otherwise it would have been too baggy. He was very professional in walking through the options and how one change affected another, but ultimately if you know your typical jacket measurements, stick to those as close as possible. The sheepskin leather is pretty forgiving. The other kinds I don't know, so maybe don't get too aggressive there.

Also, LL has some formulas. So for instance, if ptp is X, the taper needs to be a certain amount down to the waist, etc. etc. They do this to maintain the silhouette which I kind of agree with. If you're buying a LL, then it should look like a LL. Out of all the jackets posted here, especially during that short period when a lot of us jumped in, none missed the mark. Fit is very preference based and you could argue a little bit more here, little bit less there, but all were at least 90% spot on if not more.

I will say, the sleeves shrunk up a ton. I went half inch over what I usually do and if I had to do over again, I probably would have gone a full inch over instead. Not sure if it's how LL measures or just how the sheep shrinks with creases, etc. At the same time the ptp seems to have grown a touch. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly or again the sheep is just adjusting differently than some of my other jackets.

MrProper

This was the message from LL:

„Unfortunately we can't alter the waist measurement in that way, it will be the HEM + Chest divided by 2 which equals the Waist. In this case 98cm + 118cm, Waist = 108cm. These are all the full measurements for the jacket.“

Drive

New in Town
Here mine, any fit feedback would be appreciated

Attachments

• 392BBBF9-B582-4377-B96D-3CE3AF94A4CB.jpeg
    392BBBF9-B582-4377-B96D-3CE3AF94A4CB.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 114
  • 98249490-28D6-4351-82F4-3B20DB63C2A3.jpeg
    98249490-28D6-4351-82F4-3B20DB63C2A3.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 111
  • 5D98D52D-4F1E-456F-A118-82A38E693A3E.jpeg
    5D98D52D-4F1E-456F-A118-82A38E693A3E.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 113

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
TBH, I don't think Lewis will work like how you want them to. But I am also not 100% sure.

Shoulder measurements are misleading because it's measured straight across the back yoke, not the front, not the slope, not the rise of the slope. But the human shoulder is triangular, two slopes going each way towards the arm. There is a lot of grey area. Different persons will end up with different measuring results.

I am quite certain Lewis will just use the size 42 or the 44 and bring in the sleeve and hem and back length according to their formula. But I am not 100% sure.

Veg cow will also hold its shape somewhat until fully broken in. So brand new fit will be different than say after months of wear.

None of what I said is reassuring. But in my experience (Rip), Lewis does a decent job at fitting.

MrProper

Maybe it's deceiving because of the angle of the shot, but the jacket seems to me to be more on the slightly longer side? If that's what you wanted, it's all fine.
In my experience, Rip tended to go with longer measurements in their recommendations.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I think it looks pretty good right out of the bag. Needs several wears to really see how it's all going to come together. Roll it up into ball, kick it around the house, get some wears on it. I think it's going to settle real nice. It's definitely on a more relaxed side but not over the top imo.

Drive

New in Town
Most of my leathers are in the tight side so wanted something I could wear with a sweatshir, I has the shoulders brought in and made 8cam longer so it sits over my belt
I’ve worn it 3-4 times and it’s still super stiff

Damon141

Practically Family
I’m fine with the way they do the waist, I can’t have everything, I think the v taper should be fine

The shoulders below are 49cm across, I could probably go 45 to 47cm, I don’t want the hangover.

Chest here is 120cm circumference but the bi-swing back seems to add bulk because jackets I’ve had without were noticeably roomier.

Sleeves here seem a little long at 61cm but if I ask to bring the shoulder in to 47cm then 61cm should be safe, or 62cm to account for minor creasing which might take place with the stiffer Vegetable Tanned Cowhide

The hem here is 100cm circumference, I was thinking about 105 or 106cm so it falls over my hips.

I was thinking about keeping the length at 63.5cm for the Super Sportsman style, I don’t want a dress but I also want it a little longer than I would have for a lightning or cyclone

Here are the measurements for size 44:
Chest 122cm
Hem 114cm alter to 106cm
Length 66.5cm alter to 63.5cm
Shoulder 50.5cm alter to 47cm
Sleeves 65.5 alter to 61cm

What worries me is the shortest sleeve for off the rack is 62.5cm on size 32.
I’m in between 5’9” and 5’10” or 175cm and 178cm

Questions: do you think I’m going to aggressive on the sleeves based on my pictures? Should I go with 62 or 62.5 cm to be safe?

Will they let me add a couple centimeters to the chest? Maybe 124cm instead of 122? Based on my 116cm chest. I’m not sure I would want to jump to a size 46 which is 127cm chest

I don’t want to reply until it seems right, I’m not expecting perfection since this is not fully custom with mock up but as long as it sits well on my shoulders with little overhang, sleeves ending at a good spot, and hem not too wide or too tight where it hangs on my belt or hip.

Please tell me opinions, all are welcome. Since I’m not getting the advice I hoped for from RIP.

Like I said I’m not looking for perfection, just a decent fit and in the end I could always pull out and wait till they get their act together. It is a lot, especially after I went over budget for the Vegetable Cowhide but I could always do a Himel Pinecrest which is $500 more but one day I was hoping to get a Kensington when money flow is better so I was trying to avoid that and grab the Super Sportsman which has a unique look.

Attachments

• 8AFEAD7D-00CA-4A30-A603-D00D54550FEB.jpeg
    8AFEAD7D-00CA-4A30-A603-D00D54550FEB.jpeg
    389.6 KB · Views: 92
  • D1BA318C-583B-4442-99E1-E49DF4C2098E.jpeg
    D1BA318C-583B-4442-99E1-E49DF4C2098E.jpeg
    543.9 KB · Views: 74

MrProper

I’m fine with the way they do the waist, I can’t have everything, I think the v taper should be fine

The shoulders below are 49cm across, I could probably go 45 to 47cm, I don’t want the hangover.

Chest here is 120cm circumference but the bi-swing back seems to add bulk because jackets I’ve had without were noticeably roomier.

Sleeves here seem a little long at 61cm but if I ask to bring the shoulder in to 47cm then 61cm should be safe, or 62cm to account for minor creasing which might take place with the stiffer Vegetable Tanned Cowhide

The hem here is 100cm circumference, I was thinking about 105 or 106cm so it falls over my hips.

I was thinking about keeping the length at 63.5cm for the Super Sportsman style, I don’t want a dress but I also want it a little longer than I would have for a lightning or cyclone

Here are the measurements for size 44:
Chest 122cm
Hem 114cm alter to 106cm
Length 66.5cm alter to 63.5cm
Shoulder 50.5cm alter to 47cm
Sleeves 65.5 alter to 61cm

What worries me is the shortest sleeve for off the rack is 62.5cm on size 32.
I’m in between 5’9” and 5’10” or 175cm and 178cm

Questions: do you think I’m going to aggressive on the sleeves based on my pictures? Should I go with 62 or 62.5 cm to be safe?

Will they let me add a couple centimeters to the chest? Maybe 124cm instead of 122? Based on my 116cm chest. I’m not sure I would want to jump to a size 46 which is 127cm chest

I don’t want to reply until it seems right, I’m not expecting perfection since this is not fully custom with mock up but as long as it sits well on my shoulders with little overhang, sleeves ending at a good spot, and hem not too wide or too tight where it hangs on my belt or hip.

Please tell me opinions, all are welcome. Since I’m not getting the advice I hoped for from RIP.

Like I said I’m not looking for perfection, just a decent fit and in the end I could always pull out and wait till they get their act together. It is a lot, especially after I went over budget for the Vegetable Cowhide but I could always do a Himel Pinecrest which is $500 more but one day I was hoping to get a Kensington when money flow is better so I was trying to avoid that and grab the Super Sportsman which has a unique look.
I would be careful with the sleeves. Although my Lewis Leather jackets have the same sleeve length as my other jackets, they feel a bit shorter.
And both jackets are 2 cm larger than specified by the P2P.

And both jackets feel tighter at the armholes than my other jackets. Wonderful for me, maybe not for someone else.
Since you are quite bulky, the armholes might be too small for you.
To be on the safe side, I would measure the armhole size of a jacket that fits you and also take a picture of how you measured. In general, when you give jacket measurements, it doesn't hurt to always include a picture of the measurement method. Then they can convert that to their measuring method.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana