Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vegecow Lewis Leathers quality

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
^
Two big wins there! That Aero collar with epaulets looks fantastic.

How do the fits compare?
They both did a great job with the custom fits - I tweaked the base dimensions a bit differently for the two, but essentially shortened sleeves and body by a couple of inches. Delighted with both - the LL fits like a glove, and has narrower sleeves and shoulders than the Aero - the Aero has more of a V to it, similar to the Hooch Hauler, and wider sleeves, which gives a bit more scope for layering if needs be. I wear my jackets unzipped >99% of the time and prefer them snug - both these tick the box for me. Objectively the LL is really perfect fit-wise, v snug but also really comfortable and not restrictive - I think LL are real masters at getting this right, which is not surprising since they have been doing it for over a century now! I am amazed how little coverage they get on FL tbh. The Aero is also excellent but a v different pattern and so not as snug all round - which is exactly what I was after as this one would be more for the colder days than the LL. Horses for courses really!

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I suspect that LL got little coverage back then because it wasn't made of CXL which was all the rage. Later people still were not too moved by the available choice of leathers. But now that they have started using these new really good looking leathers - and the forum is more open minded - I suspect it will become much more prevalent here. Just give it some time :)

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
How much tweaking of the fit do they allow? Is it like Areo where you pick a size and modify length and arms or can chest, opening, armhole, shoulders and everything else an option to modify?

These are the measurements they ask for:

B4778C13-58E7-458E-A3E3-094AF9D96F43.jpeg
3E33C805-DB1E-43C4-836A-34501924E334.jpeg

YouTube links

Chest and waist -

Hem -

Body Length -

Sleeve -

Bicep -

B8448A55-4437-4853-B9A3-2123A63E8D81.jpeg
3336ECD1-B1CE-4E9A-BD26-16E5FF2466F8.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@Salmosalar Well done! Brown zipper tape is a great choice too, very classy. So the Lewis veg cow is more like dark seal compared to the jet black Badalassi. Nice to know. Thanks.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
@Salmosalar Well done! Brown zipper tape is a great choice too, very classy. So the Lewis veg cow is more like dark seal compared to the jet black Badalassi. Nice to know. Thanks.
I wouldn't call it dark seal - they are both black but with an undertone of brown, and in certain lights the Aero looks blacker than the LL, but in other lights the reverse is true. When you see either in their own they both clearly look black rather than brown. I think it is because both have such a really deep colour to them there is more going on than a simple flat black - its hard to capture in a photo. Not sure if that helps, but they are both definitely black - I guess its a bit like the Aero CXL Cordovan colour, which seems to shift between oxblood, burgundy, brown depending on the light, or like in an oil painting where deep black is usually a blend of other colours rather than a single flat pigment. The LL is teacore so over time the balance will shift towards the browner end of the spectrum on more exposed parts of the jacket. Will post more shots as they age - the side by side comparison over time could be interesting for FL folk to see….?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't call it dark seal - they are both black but with an undertone of brown, and in certain lights the Aero looks blacker than the LL, but in other lights the reverse is true. When you see either in their own they both clearly look black rather than brown. I think it is because both have such a really deep colour to them there is more going on than a simple flat black - its hard to capture in a photo. Not sure if that helps, but they are both definitely black - I guess its a bit like the Aero CXL Cordovan colour, which seems to shift between oxblood, burgundy, brown depending on the light, or like in an oil painting where deep black is usually a blend of other colours rather than a single flat pigment. The LL is teacore so over time the balance will shift towards the browner end of the spectrum on more exposed parts of the jacket. Will post more shots as they age - the side by side comparison over time could be interesting for FL folk to see….?
That's really cool that they shift colors under different lighting. Now I am very temped! Lol. Yes please to progress photos.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
As soon as I get a few moments of privacy, I'm calling my card company to tell them I'm placing this international order.

I'm still a little unsure whether to go with the 391 or 402 Lightning - main difference being whether the adjustors face forward or backward.

DSC_0106_c710bfb9-28f2-4b9d-8de1-78e9c2034e76_580x@2x.JPG

DSC_0280_b9a30f96-4b4d-4c4d-9ab7-10d27a7143a4_2048x.JPG
I also prefer the later 402 for its cleaner lines from the front. Both are great classic jackets though - a bit like choosing whether you prefer the Clash (391) or the Ramones (402) - you can't go wrong either way…..!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
When you look closely you can see how I cinched the adjustors because the bottom hem is too wide. The material bunching up in the front looks a bit odd tbh. I think it would have looked better with the adjustors on the back. But since yours will be custom made you won't have this 'issue' (the bottom hem will be fitted).

9D34D7A1-3C9E-459B-ACFE-B3EC283D6D7E.jpeg

ralanis2

One of the Regulars
WOW!!! I am really impressed with LL. I am very surprised we don't see a TON more from these guys. Aren't they one of the oldest leather jacket makers still in business today?!? Almost a must have in any serious collection? Hope to see way more examples (old and new) from this company.
Agreed!! a brand with that much heritage deserves a deeper look into! the patterns are classic yet edgy and the fits are amazing, and as of late, they're doing incredible things with their leather!

ralanis2

One of the Regulars
I received a custom black badalassi “Slim fit MC” jacket (their own version of the Ridley offered by Thurston) from Aero yesterday - the leather has some similarities to the LL Dominator, in terms of hand, grain etc - the former is heavier and the colourtone is more black, with the teacore undertone of the latter giving it a hint of brown in some lights - although this seems to switch depending on the lighting, with the LL being more black and the Aero seemingly having a hint of brown in other lights. Both are really great and I am delighted with the pair of them - badalassi is by far Aero's best leather in my opinion, and the vegtan leather LL offer is their best (though the vegtan sheep is very close). Anyway, I thought I would share these photos in case you are interested - I went with brown zip tape on both to give them the more vintage vibe - in the closeup side by side photo the Aero is on the left with the “blacker” colour evident in this light, and the Dominator on the right. Both were custom fits and for the Aero I tweaked the base model, as I wanted a fairly clean front and back, but with epaulettes and the mouton Irvin collar to give it a bit of extra oomph - I think it works nicely as a moto/aviator crossover… View attachment 350225 View attachment 350226 View attachment 350227 View attachment 350228
The leather on that Aero looks amazing!!!

ralanis2

One of the Regulars
I went with the 402 - since I wear my jackets open most of the time, I thought it might be too ‘busy’ with a belt and also adjusters at the front.
I prefer the 391 as I love the look of the belts in the front, for me it's the most punk rock. the 402 is a little more formal. I will say this, If you do get the classic sheepskin version of the 402, be very careful as the adjusters in the back are prone to wear due to sitting down and leaning on your back. I had a 402 in sheepskin and this was def the case, i'd find myself not putting it on while I was driving. The leather is stunning but it is super fragile. The Rutland and especially cowhide are better options for this model if this would be your go-to jacket.

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
As soon as I get a few moments of privacy, I'm calling my card company to tell them I'm placing this international order.

I'm still a little unsure whether to go with the 391 or 402 Lightning - main difference being whether the adjustors face forward or backward.

DSC_0106_c710bfb9-28f2-4b9d-8de1-78e9c2034e76_580x@2x.JPG

DSC_0280_b9a30f96-4b4d-4c4d-9ab7-10d27a7143a4_2048x.JPG

I bought my 402 as a stock size 42 in a Munich store. Only later did I realize there are in fact two versions of the Lighning. Glad it went that way: one issue less to overthink...:D

Pandemic

One Too Many
No, it´s not particularly warm. Actually, I like it that way. You can go with the "signature lining" while not compromising on usability in the warmer season.

Thanks! That’s what I was hoping. I like the ‘traditional’ red, but want to wear this as much as possible in the transitional seasons.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk