Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vegecow Lewis Leathers quality

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Thanks! That’s what I was hoping. I like the ‘traditional’ red, but want to wear this as much as possible in the traditional seasons.
The vintage quilted lining is slightly warmer than the modern one. The vintage one feels much more plasticity, the modern one is more luxurious.

Modern vs vintage

D599B569-3D20-4096-A897-F104D001C764.jpeg

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
The vintage quilted lining is slightly warmer than the modern one. The vintage one feels much more plasticity, the modern one is more luxurious.

Modern vs vintage

View attachment 350483
Yes - the modern version is much nicer than the original, as Marc says. I have this in most of my new ones but switched to plain red unquilted in the Vegcow Dominator as I wanted to keep it as light as possible with the thicker leather, with sateen arm lining, so I could keep a really snug fit even in the warmer months, so you might want to factor that in?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Weird to me that the once-standard cowhide is now a paid upgrade option with horse as standard.

That said, everyone should note that these are the Japanese upcharges, which are naturally higher than in London.

ralanis2

One of the Regulars
Their horse isn’t that great, super plasticky looking and tough , good option for riding though. Their sheep has one of the best grains second only to the vegetable cowhide . The standard cowhide ages realllly nice down the line if you wear it consistently.

ralanis2

One of the Regulars
Red lining is Rutland sheep
Golden lining regular sheep

I much prefer the regular sheep , it’s so stunning , but way more fragile.

Attachments

• CA39AC4E-4023-4335-811C-3D5BA2DE5637.png
    CA39AC4E-4023-4335-811C-3D5BA2DE5637.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 362
  • 4F8ED68F-0C3F-439F-AB26-45C079B31135.png
    4F8ED68F-0C3F-439F-AB26-45C079B31135.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 366
  • 000251C1-43DE-4A7E-82CB-EA41CB64A9E6.png
    000251C1-43DE-4A7E-82CB-EA41CB64A9E6.png
    3 MB · Views: 355
  • 7ABEA6AC-FD27-4F74-82CC-83E39C22049C.png
    7ABEA6AC-FD27-4F74-82CC-83E39C22049C.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 378

Aloysius

Their horse isn’t that great, super plasticky looking and tough , good option for riding though. Their sheep has one of the best grains second only to the vegetable cowhide . The standard cowhide ages realllly nice down the line if you wear it consistently.

Yeah I’m just saying it’s strange to me that horsehide took over as default (maybe because of the almost fetishisation of horsehide in enthusiast communities?) and the former default is now a paid option.

red devil

Veg cow was never a default option, they added it only a few years ago due to the interest in veg tanned leather as far as I am aware.
And they are now adding a veg tan HH that will have the same upcharge.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I cannot get over the fact I‘m supposed to pay a hefty upcharge for the Rutland Sheep and regular cowhide which used to be the two standard options. That‘s a very hefty overnight price increase.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I cannot get over the fact I‘m supposed to pay a hefty upcharge for the Rutland Sheep and regular cowhide which used to be the two standard options. That‘s a very hefty overnight price increase.

It's a strange switch, isn't it? I'm sure I remember a time, maybe twenty years ago, when they had the cow and sheep as standard, and horse was either not available or an upcharge. I assume it's partly marketing, partly availability / cost. The 'stay black and smooth' effect that the horse seems to have now is accurate to the look of vintage Lewises I've handled, even if they were often sheep or cow.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
@Pandemic No it wasn't, came out after horse and standard sheep .
How do you know this? Look up older LL sheepskin jackets, they were made from fairly heavy smooth hide much like the Rutland and much different to the thinner grainier sheepskin you see on most recent jackets. I‘m only guessing here, so if you have reliable information..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk