Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vegecow Lewis Leathers quality

Joshua Holland

Familiar Face
I popped into LL today to check out their new vegtan horse - see attached - v different from their vegtan cow, and in more colours - notably stiffer but with plenty of grain and patina, plus dyed though rather than teacore…..planning on a Western in burgundy. The shots here include the blue, green, brugundy, brown - all on Lightnings. Same upcharge as for the vegtan cow….

Damn...I wish I could "pop into" LL!

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The gussets on the sleeve zips lay weird. Probably need breaking in because when you zip fully, it's an uncomfortable sort of fold.
That's what I thought with my jacket in the first moment. But after a short time that has folded away well and I feel nothing more of it. Perfect for me.

Otherwise, congratulations. Very very nice jacket. Good thing I already have mine or I would be really jealous. also the beige zippers come out well with the green.
I am just thinking about getting another dark brown Dominator.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
That's what I thought with my jacket in the first moment. But after a short time that has folded away well and I feel nothing more of it. Perfect for me.

Otherwise, congratulations. Very very nice jacket. Good thing I already have mine or I would be really jealous. also the beige zippers come out well with the green.
I am just thinking about getting another dark brown Dominator.
thank you, thank you. Yes, I wasn't worried at all opening the box about the sizing. If you follow their procedure, it would be pretty hard to mess up. Especially with the sheep as there is a lot of give even if you go too tight. Most of my curiosity and rush to open was about how green is this monster going to be LOL. And like you, I think I had same impression. A little more green than I thought. I don't want to be too dramatic because it's not too far off and I think with time will darken anyway.

For sure, if I had to get another, Dominator all the way. But I'm in no rush. I have a wild card with Greg I have to lock in, so until I know what that will be, I'm going to try and avoid buying more jackets LOL. We'll see. But if a Dom in my size appeared in classifieds at good price, it would be pretty hard to resist.

I feel the same thing in my gussets. They make both sleeves the same, which means the right one goes opposite the way it should. I’ll give Marc’s fold a try.

@TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, your jacket looks fantastic!
@Pandemic- so does yours!

@Salmosalar, having worn my Rutland sheep Dominator, I think that horsehide is a dis-service to the way these jackets feel. I actually love that my LL isn’t horse or some other stiffer hide- such a great option to have in the closet after my 10yr journey. :) I was actually thinking of selling almost everything else- GW and Brooks excluded.

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
@Salmosalar, having worn my Rutland sheep Dominator, I think that horsehide is a dis-service to the way these jackets feel. I actually love that my LL isn’t horse or some other stiffer hide- such a great option to have in the closet after my 10yr journey. :) I was actually thinking of selling almost everything else- GW and Brooks excluded.
Personally I'd wish these new sheepskin hides would be a bit more substantial. @torfjord 70s sheepskin Super Monza feels/is much denser and stiffer. I was hoping for something like that when I ordered my brg Cyclone.

When I went into the shop here in LA, a couple of the jackets felt super soft, more than others- brown ones. The swatch of BRG I felt had some good heft, but I suppose the hides vary batch to batch. Choices are always great to have...I’m fortunate to have lucked into mine.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
D-day. Got my lightning yesterday. I'll put up some fancier IG shots next week once I get some wears on it. But just to give you all a taste.
View attachment 375989 View attachment 375990 View attachment 375991 View attachment 375992 View attachment 375993

Leather - as everyone has said is spectacular. Brg sheep. Very soft and pliable yet tough. Just a dream. Definitely more pine tree green vs murky alligator I was hoping for. In bright sun it's close to little green army men. But it does darken with different light. We'll see if patina, skin oil touches over time etc get me closer. Otherwise I might hit it with some boot oil after this year to coax it along. Got it wet yesterday, wore it dry. Creases on creases.

Fit - I've got several cross zips so was going for something different, little longer and more cylinder. They brought in the shoulders a good 2 inch. I'm glad I insisted on taking off 5cm from waist. Rip wanted to go little longer, we compromised and I think it's perfect for how I wear my jeans. Covers the belt with a finger or two to spare. Ive got enough cropped jackets so again wanted this one little different. Glad I added an extra couple cm on the sleeves too since I narrowed the shoulders. I asked for a little pinch in the midsection but it was against their vision. I think the taper from ptp to mid could be slightly better especially since I went narrower on the waist, but this is getting super nit picky. All in all, another positive endorsement for LL team to build a jacket to size.

The gussets on the sleeve zips lay weird. Probably need breaking in because when you zip fully, it's an uncomfortable sort of fold. Everyone should just steal Vanson design lol. No one does it better.

Jacket is just a joy to wear. So comfy, perfect weight for warm weather. Could easily wear into summer nights even with the quilted lining. Lots of give on the leather. So yeah, size down.

Nearing the end of my jacket buying. Got something in the mail to upgrade my older schott A2. In line with FL. But with this right here, it's going out with a bang.

Fantastic! That’s the way, I would want it to fit. Congratulations! I assume, the rectangular patch is per your specifications?! A nice twist too.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I popped into LL today to check out their new vegtan horse - see attached - v different from their vegtan cow, and in more colours - notably stiffer but with plenty of grain and patina, plus dyed though rather than teacore…..planning on a Western in burgundy. The shots here include the blue, green, brugundy, brown - all on Lightnings. Same upcharge as for the vegtan cow….

Thanks for posting. Now the whole things gets even more complicated…;)

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Fantastic! That’s the way, I would want it to fit. Congratulations! I assume, the rectangular patch is per your specifications?! A nice twist too.
thanks. Yeah, like many here, first started off hating the patch. Within a year came around to going all in LOL-- contrasting tape, patch, etc. I saw the square patch in an IG shot sometime ago and liked it and just to be different than some of the orders here.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
thanks. Yeah, like many here, first started off hating the patch. Within a year came around to going all in LOL-- contrasting tape, patch, etc. I saw the square patch in an IG shot sometime ago and liked it and just to be different than some of the orders here.

Overall a fantastic looking and fitting jacket. Color looks rather muted in the photos, but we’ve now hard twice that it is PRETTY green in the wild. I am really tempted even. Mor as I have enough black jackets and BRG sheep is just a great statement hide.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Overall a fantastic looking and fitting jacket. Color looks rather muted in the photos, but we’ve now hard twice that it is PRETTY green in the wild. I am really tempted even. Mor as I have enough black jackets and BRG sheep is just a great statement hide.
It really has a huge range of color depth. Bright sun like I said, it's basically:

R.cdaae546c3e91a0a25d661083c0c5709

well, a little exaggerated but not far off.

I think with wear, picking up stains, skin oil, etc. it will darken. And worst case, I'll put a coat of some kind of oil. But I'm being dramatic. It's like 80% where I want it to be out of the box. For my own tastes, I would just prefer it to be more "murky" like wet alligator or some funky pond scum kind of thing LOL. In indoor lighting and outside night time, it's fantastic. I'm sure the IG shots we see of it have major filters on it. But the photo posted about the new horse veg tanned, that color is pretty close, especially the close up shot next to the blue jacket.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
What do you think of the Western Jacket No. 988?
Its v nice and the next one up on my radar - in discussion with Rip wrt sizing etc but I am leaning towards BRG with brass hardware and gold satin lining….the fit is nice and slim, with narrow arms but fairly wide shoulders, so I would say more trim than the Aero Type III….I will likely need to narrow the shoulders a little and shorten the arms and body length as per usual, but LL have nailed it before so not worried on that front.

Edward

Bartender
Personally I'd wish these new sheepskin hides would be a bit more substantial. @torfjord 70s sheepskin Super Monza feels/is much denser and stiffer. I was hoping for something like that when I ordered my brg Cyclone.

Definitely varied. I handled a lot of 70s Lewises at a time (I still kick myself that in 2003 I didn't just go ahead and spend what then seemed like crazy money for a costume piece - I was looking to replicate the FRank'n'Furter jacket - £200, if I'd only known what they would sell for now....Back then, a new one was £400 which seemed equally madness in 2003....!). When I first started looking at them I was actually quite shocked by how light some of them often were. Seems there was much more variation in the 70s, though, than now; I think the QC has improved significantly.

It really has a huge range of color depth. Bright sun like I said, it's basically:

R.cdaae546c3e91a0a25d661083c0c5709

well, a little exaggerated but not far off.

I think with wear, picking up stains, skin oil, etc. it will darken. And worst case, I'll put a coat of some kind of oil. But I'm being dramatic. It's like 80% where I want it to be out of the box. For my own tastes, I would just prefer it to be more "murky" like wet alligator or some funky pond scum kind of thing LOL. In indoor lighting and outside night time, it's fantastic. I'm sure the IG shots we see of it have major filters on it. But the photo posted about the new horse veg tanned, that color is pretty close, especially the close up shot next to the blue jacket.

Hey, WCS just tell people it's a Kawasaki x Lewis special edition. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy