Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Velour Jogging suits

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I think it is just sort of pathetic that some people get "dressed up" wearing velour jogging suits as a sort of fashion statement. I know a girl who basically only wears them. She has them in all different colors and varieties, and every day wears a different one.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Rosie said:
What upsets me highly are the ones with words written across the derriere. Why in the world would ANYONE want to wear that? :eek:

I have NO idea. That's a trend that can't go away fast enough and I see it all the time at school.

I mean, ladies, if you need reading material on it to make men glance, you know you're doing something wrong! lol

The only good thing is this time last year everyone who wasn't wearing Juicy was wearing those horrible tees with slogans on 'em that you couldn't pay me enough to wear in public, like "my boyfriend is out of town." [bad]

But now they're gone, which is good, because they were HIDEOUS.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Rosie said:
What upsets me highly are the ones with words written across the derriere. Why in the world would ANYONE want to wear that? :eek:
Are you suggesting that a mother wouldn't be proud to have her daughter seen about town with the word "JUICY" written across her posterior?lol

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Viola said:
The only good thing is this time last year everyone who wasn't wearing Juicy was wearing those horrible tees with slogans on 'em that you couldn't pay me enough to wear in public, like "my boyfriend is out of town." [bad]

But now they're gone, which is good, because they were HIDEOUS.

Oh, they're still around. The store I work at carries MANY different ones, and they're all brainless. The simple redneck women who populate the area go nuts over them. And they're for men and women.. they say things like
"I can't pay my Visa with my Master card?"
"My boyfriend can beat up your boyfriend"
"It's a happy bunny"

Plus a whole collection of "Country Music Television" and "Happy Bunny" t-shirts. What's the world coming to?? And why don't gentlemen (and I use the term VERY loosely) want clothes that FIT anymore?? But, I'm getting :eek:fftopic: ... maybe I'll start a new one regarding the degeneration of our generation.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
The sad thing is that I suspect that the CMT shirts (I've never seen one, ever, so I'm guessing) are really not the nadir of ugly clothes.

I can't even begin on the atrocities of having to match one's thong to one's shirt because one's jeans are TOO DAMN LOW. Yeah, I'm not doing that. Underwear should not be public, that's why its underwear.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They're called "track"suits for a reason

I don't get these things as fashion, partly because I don't understand why people can't dress decently any more and partly, I guess, because when I was kid growing up in the 1980's, they were considered extremely nerdy. If someone wore one to school - even on sports days - he'd get beaten up by the school hoods and tossed out the front gate!

Now every kid wants to wear tracksuits to school! [huh] I know fashion changes, but enough that people think tracksuits are cool? Maybe I'm just a combined victim of my generation and my love of Golden Era attire and aesthetics.

Leave 'em in the gym where they belong! (And burn the velour ones!)

matei

One Too Many
Eeeecchhhhh... I cannot stand track suits. They are de riguer for the knacker/chav set over here.

You often see someone sporting a white or light coloured track suit... more often than not the light colour lets the stains of dubious origin show.

Yecchhh!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
matei said:
Eeeecchhhhh... I cannot stand track suits. They are de riguer for the knacker/chav set over here.

You often see someone sporting a white or light coloured track suit... more often than not the light colour lets the stains of dubious origin show.

Yecchhh!

Gives "Track Suit" new meaning.

Feraud

Bartender
I am sure a velour jogging suit has a place somewhere. Not that I could name one...

The fact that anyone wears one in a "dress up" situation is quite laughable. I guess we can thank our public and it's desire for Hip-Hop fashion. Velour outfits in outrageous colors, patterns, and with silly slogans were originated in the Hip-Hop circle I believe. Sean John (P-Diddy to you hip cats), and Tommy Hilfiger helped trickle down this fashion sense (or is it senseless?) to the masses. Mr. & Mrs. Phat Pharm also help those adults who are lacking in fashion sense to dress themselves like sloppy children.

I guess the public's logic is it is so easy to dress like your favorite rapper..ergo, why not do so at at wedding? lol :eusa_doh:

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Geez the last time I saw anyone wearing "gold ropes" was a mafioso guy on 60 Minutes in the 1970s:eek: Where the hell is anyone doing that? "Sweats" or other similar nomaclature, are comfortable casual wear for around the house. I wouldn't wear them to anything where taste was critical but they can go far depending on your local society. Are you really going to change clothes to bop over to the 7-11 and then swing by the Home Depot? In L.A. anyone wears literally whatever they want and truly no one is put off by any of it.

It's all relative to what is accepted in the culture and social setting where you reside. I can vividly remember this same conversation about Levis in the 1950s. What happened there?:D

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Lauren Henline said:
Know what's even more vulgar? That the V&A had one on display when I went to see their costume exhibits when I was in London this summer... right across from Victorians, and 40's... who's bright idea was it to bring a hot pink Juicy Couture suit into it?

I have photographic proof (knew it would come in handy someday...)
http://blacktopjuly.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album12&id=Scotland_2005_312_jpg

Yes Lauren, the V&A reflects England's sartorial history and it can often be an unpleasant sight. I've noticed that you're a fan of Fortuny, I would suggest that you go to Venice, where his former workshop is now a museum. And while you're there don't miss the Lace Museum.

ortega76

Practically Family
As a fashion statement, I liked it on Run-DMC as a kid. On the kids of today, it's lazy, dumb and derivative.

Confession- I do wear track pants and a hooded sweatshirt from time to time when I go to my kickboxing class. Hey, it's functional.

matei

One Too Many
Twitch said:
I can vividly remember this same conversation about Levis in the 1950s. What happened there?:D

Interesting. I see many people who mix jeans with a blazer (I myself have done so on several occasions). I can see it now... in several years time it will be acceptable to wear track suit bottoms with a sportsjacket... :eusa_doh:

ortega76

Practically Family
matei said:
Interesting. I see many people who mix jeans with a blazer (I myself have done so on several occasions). I can see it now... in several years time it will be acceptable to wear track suit bottoms with a sportsjacket... :eusa_doh:

I've seen that look in some bad fashion magazines and on the streets in Chicago's Wrigleyville! It didn't look right! Track pants, a black cashmere zip-front sweater and a skinny black blazer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24