Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vent holes: do they work?

Didn't they do something like this on some Civil War hats?

I've seen some in hats at reenactments & you know how some of those guys are sticklers for authenticity....

Stetson Playboy ad...
stetsonplayboy1949.jpg

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I've never seen this on hats for women. Interesting. I remember someone won an antique air hole punching machine a few months ago and I had no clue how it worked...now I see. I'll just let the moths create the air hole vents.:D

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I've never seen this on hats for women. Interesting

The explanation could be context dependant, I guess. In a pool-room I might be tempted to mention something like "the constant talking makes ventilation obsolete". Now and here - with a woman present - I would probably note the fact, that "women are better, keeping their heads cool". Just call me "Chicken"! lol

Last edited:
Out of interest, how much difference do people find the very small punched pattern vents in felts make?

A "very small" amount. It is more about letting heat out than allowing any breeze in.
I wear my vented ArtLite with the liner out regular during the GA summers.
It is as cool as Panama & palm leaf straw hats I have, maybe cooler.
Not as cool as vent woven Bangora western hats tho....

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
The explanation could be context dependant, I guess. In a pool-room I might be tempted to mention something like "the constant talking makes ventilation obsolete". Now and here - with a woman present - I would probably note the fact, that "women are better, keeping their heads cool". Just call me "Chicken"! lol

:cool:

We'll that explains that! You've just given me a legitimate excuse as to why I shouldn't vent up my hats! Because I am a woman keeping my head cool is a breeze! Yeah, that's the ticket!:D

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here

My, oh, my...whatta honey dripper! :eek:

outsidebear

New in Town
With some customers, on their western hats (cowboy hats), I've created air hole vent patterns to that of their cattle brand for their ranch, which adds a nice personal touch to 'their' hat. Overall, aside from some larger vent holes allowing hot air to vent out of the hat, mostly there is more of a psychological impact, compared to any major heat reduction in the hot weather under the sun! shhh, they're not 'spose to realize that!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Just reading this topic. Now, I wonder if by some way, having air vents made it into the old Hollywood Westerns? Recall in some movie made in yonder years, this fellow wearing a six gun and making the statement, "I'll blow that hat right off yer head"..and then the movies showing a fellow removing his hat, and sticking his finger to show how close he was to being shot? "I'll venta-late-ya"

I have two hats, one has some vent holes. Neither hat is large enough to keep the sun out of my eyes, not that big of a hat. They both seem close to being as comfy from one to the other. Daniel has no hats now that have any vent holes. But he does prefer a straw type hat for summer time that is not real tightly weaved material. And he has enough to rotate them so he is not wearing that same hat daily at all.

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
... I decide to make aeration holes in my hat ?

Basically I have been wearing my Akubra Hampton since this Fall and I find it very very hot. For instance, I cycle home from work every night, not cycling particularly fast and when I arrive at home my hair is all wet. I'm thinking that holes might help.

Now would this be a sacrilege ?
Could I even have someone do that ? a hatter ? a shoemaker ?
How much would it cost ?

Also on a side note, do you know any other similar hats (short brimmmed, fedora-style but longer than trilbies) that I could wear in Spring time ?

Thank you very much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR