Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vent holes: do they work?

Gusman

New in Town
Hi all,

I've searched the hat section for more information and experience with vent holes in felt hats but didn't find the answers I was looking for. I've recently ordered (and in the meantime recieved) an Akubra Banjo Paterson and I'm wondering if using grommets to create ventholes in the hat would do anything to create less sweat inside the crown.

I have the idea that the ventholes are way too small to create an airflow inside the crown but may be I'm wrong about this......

I'm looking forward to your experience with ventholes and possible hint/tips.

Thanks in advance....

Gusman ;)

Vent holes allow heat to escape easier. Lots of body heat is released thru your noggin & a solid felt hat, especially with a liner will trap it. Without the liner, it is less of a trap & then vent holes allow heat directly out of the holes. I have a Riverina that I hunt in with 2 vents on each side & it is tolerable in the early Georgia fall when deer hunting. Without the vents, it'd stay on the hook until late fall for sure. HTH

Gusman

New in Town
GtDean48,

Thanks for your reply. The Banjo Paterson has lining and no vetholes so that could be a good reason for a hot and humid crown. What's the diameter of the ventholes in your Akubra Riverina?

Is there anyone who ripped-out the lining and punched some ventholes in their (new) hat?

Regards,

Gusman ;)

No idea of the size of the vents but they look standard compared to other hats I have with vent holes. You may be able to ask an Akubra dealer. There are some Loungers that have added vents to Sunbody hats & others.
I'd also figure you punch thru the felt & the liner together so the grommet holds both, like my Riverina does. Major Mike Moore may have info since I'm sure he adds holes per customer specs when doing customs, same for Art Fawcett & other hatters around here... [huh]

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I think Art skips the grommets and the lining when he does that. He has some kind of special gizmo for making the vent holes.

As much as the idea might have merit, the idea of vents in a felt seems counter-intuitive to me. I mean, unless you're going on safari in a warm place where straw won't cut it, felt is for colder weather. If your hat's got holes, all you have is a drafty hat. [huh]

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:
As much as the idea might have merit, the idea of vents in a felt seems counter-intuitive to me.

There may be people who find felt all too warm, even during cooler seasons. They may think vents are neat. They may be extremely active during the cooler season, and require vents.

I'm sure there are a bunch of reasons I'm missing.

yardpup01

New in Town
Charlie Noodles said:
Vents would probably work more due to the diffusion of the water than due to airflow though, wouldn't they?

I don't know about water diffusion, but I think the most benefit would be from the release of heat through convection. So while there would not be what I would call a draft, the vents should allow a small amount of hot, moisture laden air out of the hat. Whether the heat/moisture release is worth the change in aesthetics is completely personal.

I just realized this is my first post... hello!

~Mike

Gusman

New in Town
Hi all,

And Mike, welcome to the Fedora Lounge.

I'm not sure if felt hats are only meant for cooler climates or to be worn when no physical labour is involved. The majority of the Akubra hats is made of felt so I'm wondering how the hat owners of felt hats in warm and sunny places deal with the fact it becomes hot and humid in the crown.

I'll guess in the Netherlands a Panama hat wouldn't last long with unexpected rain showers during the Summer season :eusa_doh:

Regards,

Gusman ;)

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
sunbody!!!

sunbody hats take a beating...I wouldn't worry about rain hitting them. if you want a straw in a rainy location, i'd highly recommend them.

i've soaked mine numerous times to reshape it for fun and its still a great looking hat, and just as good as new :)

Gusman said:
Hi all,

And Mike, welcome to the Fedora Lounge.

I'm not sure if felt hats are only meant for cooler climates or to be worn when no physical labour is involved. The majority of the Akubra hats is made of felt so I'm wondering how the hat owners of felt hats in warm and sunny places deal with the fact it becomes hot and humid in the crown.

I'll guess in the Netherlands a Panama hat wouldn't last long with unexpected rain showers during the Summer season :eusa_doh:

Regards,

Gusman ;)

Gusman

New in Town
Cybergentleman,

I've taken a look on the Sunbody website and they have some nice hats. I even saw some of them with...... vent holes. At the moment I don't own a straw or Panama hat. Next Summer I will possibly do a holiday home exchange with a family in Los Angeles. May be I'll buy a Panama or a Sunbody hat there and wear it during my 3-4 week holiday there.....

Gusman ;)

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Dewhurst said:
There may be people who find felt all too warm, even during cooler seasons. They may think vents are neat. They may be extremely active during the cooler season, and require vents.

I would probably be considered on of those people. Trouble is, if you get hot enough enough to need vents even in winter, your head will be soaked with sweat when the wind comes slipping in. I tried it once with hat I no longer have. I was fine until a breeze came by, and that wind bit into me!

I realized I was in danger of getting a head cold. Fortunately, I was just working out on my own deck and could run inside to change hats. I was hotter and had tons of sweat trapped under that ventless hat, but I didn't catch cold.

Just my own experience talking.

rrog

A-List Customer
I know the original question was about fur felt, but I purchased a Sunbody without vent holes. I took it to Florida and got really hot. When I got home, I punched some holes in it and used the grommets to make vent holes. It was a significant difference in comfort! And welcome to the lounge.

rrog

Gusman

New in Town
Number and diameter ventholes?

I've found some eyelets at the hardware store nearby. They have the perfect matching colour for my Banjo Paterson and they have two sizes: 4mm (0.16 inch) of 5mm (0.20 inch).

What would be the best option: 1 or 2 eyelets on each side and size 4mm or 5mm? The 5mm eyelet has in my opinion the best physical dimensions to match with the thickness of the felt.

Looking forward to your advice.........

regards,

Gusman ;)

My Riverina has 2 on each side & as far as I can measure, the inside diameter (the opening of the eyelet) looks to be 4mm. They are spaced such that dead center of 1 hole to the other is 4.5cm. HTH

added photo that you can just see them in action...
riverina1.jpg

rrog

A-List Customer
Gusman, when I put in the eyelets on my Sunbody, I used 1/4" grommets and put three on each side. When I ordered another Sunbody, I ordered it with holes and they put in 1/8" eyelets, three per side. And to be honest, I really can't tell that much difference in coolness/comfort betweent the 1/8" or the 1/4" eyelets.

rrog

Gusman

New in Town
Thanks for the update guys. It's now midnight here in the Netherlands and I will start some measurements on my Banjo Paterson tomorrow morning and have a look if I can install the eyelets.

I'll keep you updated on my progress.........

Regards,

Gusman ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner