Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Very rare black 1920's/30's Austrian fedora from Otto Matt

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Up for sale is a very old and rare Austrian hat from Bregenz at the shore of Lake Constance, made by Otto Matt.

The hat is jet black and comes with an unfinished brim, unreeded sweat with taped back seam and no liner. The felt is extremely soft, thin and supple.

There is a stamp on the inside of the sweat with a date. I think it says 1928 but it's so faint that I can't really discern it for sure. It's definitely from the late 20's/early 30's. The sweat carries the name of the hatter, Otto Matt, embossed in golden letters. The bow has the frayed edges that are so typical for hats of the time and the whole construction of the sweat is just another dead giveaway.

According to the tag it's a size 55 (=6 7/8 US) but it's actually a tad bigger. Choose for yourself: a large 6 7/8 or a snug 7. It's definitely a little too big for my rather accurate 6 7/8 noggin and rides on top of my ears.

Crown: 4 7/8" (creased as is), 5 7/8" (open)
Brim: 2 3/4"
Ribbon: 2"

I'm asking 55€ for the hat + shipping (to be calculated based on the destination (US would be approx. 36€)).

Otto-Matt.jpg

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I'd love to see it with a center dent, Mario. If it wasn't black I'd be all over it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy