Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Very Very Old Stetson On EBAY Opinions Pls

badhatter

New in Town
Pls check this hat out! Your thoughts and opinions please!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8334227705&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

I emailed the guy and here is his reply to dimensions and provenance.
I was specific about what info I needed and this is what I received back. Not exactly what I asked for.

His reply:

"I have had this hat for 25 years. It was bought at a yard sale in Bucks County Pennsylvania. And I'm afraid that is all I can tell you about it's provenance."

"The crown height is approximately, as are all the measurements,four and a half inches from brim to crown. The brim dimensions are: fifteen and a half inches front to back and fourteen inches side to side. The circumference is twenty three and a half inches."

This would make this hat a 7 1/2.

Click on links for images:

http://i1.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/e9/d1/32_1_b.JPG
33_0.JPG

http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/e8/d5/68_1_b.JPG
http://i5.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/ee/fe/ab_1_b.JPG
http://i14.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/e8/ac/33_1_b.JPG

Interesting. It looks like something a priest would wear in the 1880s. The sweatband looks like it is long gone and it sure could use a reblocking.
The brim looks to be quite a bit out of shape. I wonder how stiff it is. They should be really stiff for that era. They do droop with age though.
I wonder if the finish is plush or simply fuzzy. I might have to have a crack at this one since it is my size. :p ;)

Regards to all,

J

Mr. 'H' said:
When would you ever wear it JP?

You're kidding right? :p I wear every hat I have. That includes the top hats. there is always a time when I can wear it. Maybe even to church on Sunday. Nah, the priest might want it. :p
Seriously, all hats get in the rotation---boaters, straws, fedoras, homburgs, tophats, amish and maybe even a few cowboy hats. ;)

regards to all,

J

Johnnysan

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
You're kidding right? :p I wear every hat I have. That includes the top hats. there is always a time when I can wear it. Maybe even to church on Sunday. Nah, the priest might want it. :p
Seriously, all hats get in the rotation---boaters, straws, fedoras, homburgs, tophats, amish and maybe even a few cowboy hats. ;)

regards to all,

J

Speaking of hats, JP...nice score on that Dobbs on eBay the other day! I had my eye on it, but one more grey hat and my wife is relegating ME to the attic! Hope to hear more about it once it arrives! :cheers1:

badhatter

New in Town
Old Stetson

It looks so much like a civil war slouch hat but the hat band is much wider. There is no leather sweat band that I can see and it appears to be a cloth sweatband. I have seen lots of hats in my life but this is by far appears to be the oldest Stetson. It appears to be stiff and doen't flop because it is on a stand. The thing looks like it belongs in a museum.

Does anyone have that Stetson book handy....?

BTW....I don't own this hat and I am not promoting it, just stumbled across it and thought it was very unique.

Mr. 'H' said:
So, I'd like to know:

When do you wear top-hats? What do you wear with them? Are we talking stovepipes here, or a tamed down version?

Tophats are more versatile than most people think. In the beginning they were just crash helmets for the equestrians. Better the hat than your head kind of thing. :p
I wear them with black clothing that is appropriate. You don't have to wear them with tails. They work fine with a tuxedo to me and they go well with some of my frock coats and such.
Like I say, it was an ordinary hat that was later elevated to formal. I have two old Stetsons that I use. They are probably about 8-10 inches tall. Not really a stovepipe but enough to look like a real tophat.
You also forget that I am in California. Wearing one of these in public won't even get you noticed. Probably more ignored than noticed really because it makes you part of the enemy class---those who work for a living. :p

Regards to all,

J

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up

varga49

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:

regards to all,

J
I like wearing all of mine too...but some of my favorites are too...way too small!
I'm thinning out the smaller ones from my collection and adding, albeit ever so slowly, hats that fit my, as my wife calls it, "Gargantuan Melon"...gotta love the gal!!

varga49

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Darn! I missed the auction with all the stuff going on around here.
Yep Varga, wear them all. It reduces the wear on individual hats. ;)
The big part is subjective. Since I am a 7 5/8 that would require you to be a 7 3/4 or larger to be Gargantuan to me. :p

Regards to all,

J
yep! I'm a 7 5/8ths...it just occurred to me we might have bid on some of the same hats if you use ebay!

varga49

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Heheheheh! Probably if you lost. :p ;)

Regards to all,

J
not a chance...I snipe!! heh heh ...you probably do too though! Actually I've let a few go by since I'm focusing my resources elsewhere lately..but after November!!!...what's your screen name on ebay?

varga49 said:
not a chance...I snipe!! heh heh ...you probably do too though! Actually I've let a few go by since I'm focusing my resources elsewhere lately..but after November!!!...what's your screen name on ebay?

My sniping is faster than yours. :p
My screen name there is the same as here. Yours better be the same too in case I am feeling nice and willing to let one get by me. ;) :p

Regards to all,

J

varga49

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
My sniping is faster than yours. :p
My screen name there is the same as here. Yours better be the same too in case I am feeling nice and willing to let one get by me. ;) :p

Regards to all,

J

Sure it is! not sure how you figure your sniping is any faster than mine though! I'm only really in the market for two or three more. I've found several never worn vintage 7 1/2s that actually fit rather well..you ever noticed that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran