Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Veteran's Day

Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a Jagged scar, a certain look in the eye.

Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone together, A piece of shrapnel in the leg or perhaps another sort of inner steel: The soul's ally forged in the refinery of adversity.

Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America safe Wear no badge or emblem. You can't tell a vet just by looking.

What is a vet?

He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.

He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.

She or he is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Danang.

He is the POW who went away one person and came back another or didn't come back AT ALL.

He is the Quantico drill instructor who has never seen combat but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

He is the parade riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.

He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.

He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor remains unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.

He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket, aggravatingly slow, who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.

He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.

He is a Soldier, Marine, Sailor or Airman, and also a savior and a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.

So remember each time you see someone who has served our country. When you see one just lean over and say Thank You.

That's all most people need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.

Two little words that mean a lot, "THANK YOU".

God Bless Our Veterans!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lenore

Practically Family
On behalf of my husband, Thank you. You're very right that they don't get the recognition that they deserve.

You made me cry at the mention of the old grocery bagger wishing for his wife, as one of my own wishes is that my husband passes before I do so that he never has to wake up alone with his nightmares.

Thank you for your support, and your remembrance on this Veteran's Day. I wish more people thought as you do.

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
HarpPlayerGene said:
I am filled with pride for and gratitude to all who have and do serve.[/QUOTE

My feelings exactly. And best wishes to everyone currently in uniform on this the anniversary of the end of the "war to end all wars"

Peace

Story

I'll Lock Up
By ELENA BECATOROS Elena Becatoros – Wed Nov 11, 4:18 pm ET

KABUL – Military divers have found the body of a U.S. paratrooper who disappeared last week along with another soldier as the two tried to retrieve airdropped supplies from a river in western Afghanistan, NATO said Wednesday.

Relatives said they believe Spc. Benjamin Sherman of Plymouth, Mass., died after jumping into the river to try to save his comrade, who was also swept away by the current.

As of Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2009, at least 836 members of the U.S. military had died in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Uzbekistan as a result of the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan in late 2001, according to the Defense Department.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When it all comes down to it, I was happy that my service did directly benefit others. Nevertheless, this one day with the love of my life, my little boy (3 years old) has made it all worth it..

Duck boats in Boston (free for vets on Veteran's Day)

41a49d3e.jpg

My boy steering the ship..;)

2cd12248.jpg

34f19e30.jpg

Great Veteran's Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

vintage_jayhawk

One of the Regulars
Thank you to all our vets and active duty members. A special thank you to my grandpa who served in Japan during WWII. He never talked about the war--I learned more about his service at his funeral than I did anytime when he was alive.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Merci beaucoup to my mother's father, a WWII French Army officer who fought in the Ardennes, was wounded and captured by the German Army, escaped from a German prisoner-of-war camp, joined the Resistance and, after the Normandy invasion, served for a year with the U.S. Army as a French/English/German language interpreter.

Thank you for your service to France and the United States, Bonpapa.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, HoosierDaddy, for your beautiful sentiment.

Thank you also to my great grandfather, who fled Germany and fought with the Canadians, and who died at Vimy Ridge with so many others.

Thank you to my friends MCpl Wiafe, Pte Johnson, Sgt Naughton and newly promoted Lt Chase, for volunteering to go to Afghanistan. Come home safely.

Thank you to my husband-to-be, for being an honourable soldier; Thank you to all the brave young men and women in the armed forces.

kyda

One of the Regulars
My Great Grandfather made it home from France in WW1.
Both of Grandfathers served in WW11, one was a POW of the Japanese the other was a transport driver in Western Australia's south West and also was responsible for transporting the Italian and German prisoners here. My Grandmother was a Land Army girl and my Great Aunts were WRAAF's and WRANS, my Da was doing National Service at the time of Vietnam.

These members of my family made it home safe but some did not, I count my blessings every day for that but for those men and women how have fought in conflict's all over the world and did not make it home and their family's have to live with that and get on with their lives, they are the people who are strong and make us more humble and thankful for our freedom.

To every person/family who has served thank you for your sacrifice, your courage and most of all thank you for making our world just that little bit safer.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Troglodyte said:
Thanks to you personally, Drill Sergeant HD, for your service!

It does feel good to hear those words...even after all these years. Troglodyte...there seems always to be some harsh controversy during time of war. Perhaps that only makes it extra special to boldly approach a young man in uniform and stick out your hand with heartfelt thanks. The return of a broad grin is worth it even on our end.
Several years ago at my Son's small Christian school...a returning Grad in uniform spoke to an elementary class about many details of his service and tour in Iraq. I stood in the hall listening. After he finished and walked into the hall..I stuck out my hand and thanked him. He seemed somewhat shocked...but immediately his eyes lit up and his face was covered with smile. I remember that he was sure proud of that stripe on his sleeve. In fact I've made it a point to do this whenever I'm near someone in uniform.
Two years ago my wife finished some schooling and had cap and gown graduation ceremonies at Ball State University. My(then)13 yr old son and I sat in the audiance to watch his Mom graduate. After several Profs had given their address...the administrator asked all Vets in the audiance to please stand.The whole auditorium of several hundred people applauded for what seemed like five minutes. As I was standing..I looked down at my son who was clapping and smiling ear to ear. Afterwards he said.."Wow Dad...I bet you weren't expecting that"..."that was really something". "Sure was" I said. It had been a long time........
HD
Dsgt 1970-72

Venturian

New in Town
Veteran wear of Service Ribbon

The following is from THE AMERICAN WAR LIBRARY website.

"If you don't wear one of your military service ribbons on your lapel or your collar every day you don't have the right to complain that your military service isn't appreciated or your war is being forgotten... because it is YOUR job, not someone else's job, to daily remind people about military service and our wars...

Where To Wear Your Military Color

Military medal ribbons should be worn on the left suit, jacket or coat lapel, shirt collar or on the left shortsleeve.

Military Medal ribbons should not be worn on T-shirts, costumes or political garments. If forbidden by an employer, ribbons should not be worn at work.

When Military Medal Ribbons Should Be Worn

To show your pride in your military service, your selected military medal ribbon can be worn daily and should be worn for the full months of May (Memorial Day) and November (Veterans Day).

Which Military Medal Ribbon Should You Select for Daily Wear

Any Military Medal ribbon can be selected for daily wear. Ribbons representing Valor or war campaign duty normally take precedence over service ribbons. An Order of Precedence Chart is available:

A Proud History Lost

Personal pride in displaying one's military service declined during the final years of the Vietnam War. President Lyndon Johnson was the last president to wear his military color, the Silver Star, on a daily basis. Pride in military service has only recently recovered after decades of neglect. America is now showing respect to military veterans who take pride in demonstrating respect for their military service and sacrifices.

Can Qualification Badges Be Substituted for Daily Military Medal Ribbon Wear?

No. There is no precedent in American or European military history for the daily wear of a military qualification badge on a daily or Military Holiday basis."

I served in OIF @ BIAP 2004 with the California Air National Guard. I wear the GWOT-E every day. You can see it in my avatar on my coat. Venturian, out.
GWOTExpMdlRibbonBar.JPG

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
Re:Veteran wear of Service Ribbon

I had no idea we could do that. Thanks for sharing. We have to pick just one though? I have GWOT, NATO, and Afghan Campaign. I guess it's my Afghan to wear huh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran