Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Victory Rolls!

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
dry (unless you are rolling to take your hair out again with curls)
I'll leave the Kirby grips for those in the USA - although anyone in England with dark hair, Muji (they have a website) do the best kirby grips in the world - powerful steel ones which grip like nothing else! Designed for Japanese hair, I think.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Any idea how to achieve this kind of style, it looks quite similar:
annafriel.jpg

P.S. Not a great example - but if anyone has seen 'The War Bride' (I am a huge Anna Friel fan :))

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you Kim B.
I was wondering why my rolls always looked so darn terrible. This tutorial is great. I have a way of doing it with a medium barrel curling iron, but it only works about one in three times, and the sides never come out symmetrical. But, it does work, and the heat really helps set the roll into place which makes it not move all night. I'm definitely gonna give this method a shot. It turns out that, according to this tutorial, I was parting my hair in the wrong angle. This part direction should make all the difference in my rolls.

fleur

One of the Regulars
~landgirl~ said:
Any idea how to achieve this kind of style, it looks quite similar:
annafriel.jpg

P.S. Not a great example - but if anyone has seen 'The War Bride' (I am a huge Anna Friel fan :))

I wear my hair very similar to that on a daily basis.

I will pincurl it the night before.

I wear a side part anyway so I section off the front (not as big as in the instructions) and then back comb lightly at the roots. I then will twist the hair so it curls around and up. I will then kirby grip it in place and spray with hairspray.

I do it either like this, fairly loose or tight and high.

The only pic of me with it loose is wearing a fascinator so you dont get the effect.

I hope I explained that okay [huh]

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
fleur said:
I wear my hair very similar to that on a daily basis.

I will pincurl it the night before.

I wear a side part anyway so I section off the front (not as big as in the instructions) and then back comb lightly at the roots. I then will twist the hair so it curls around and up. I will then kirby grip it in place and spray with hairspray.

I do it either like this, fairly loose or tight and high.

The only pic of me with it loose is wearing a fascinator so you dont get the effect.

I hope I explained that okay [huh]

I have never pincurled my hair before, I am really rubbish at doing anything with my hair! I think because there is just so much of it. I REALLY need to give it a go, maybe when it is wet? I just can't see how a little kirby grip can hold a curl in place, you must use such a tiny amount of hair - doesn't that take forever to do?

fleur

One of the Regulars
Not really - I like quite large waves in my hair and takes about 10 minutes at the most to do and not really much longer when I first tried it.

Nothing like having a pyjama day to fiddle with your hair ;)

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
fleur said:
Not really - I like quite large waves in my hair and takes about 10 minutes at the most to do and not really much longer when I first tried it.

Nothing like having a pyjama day to fiddle with your hair ;)

Do you mean that you pin curl the whole lot the night before - and then pin curl the front again (when dry) in the morning and keep the top grips in? It looks like her hair is netted at the back, my hair isn't as long as hers so I would need it big at the back.

fleur

One of the Regulars
No I pin it the night before when damp using setting lotion (as discussed!) then I spray with a fixing spray.

Give it a gentle blast from the hair dryer for about 2 mins just to help it warm up before getting into bed. Sometimes I tie chiffon scarf around it and sometimes I dont.

In the morning I wake up, give a gentle blast of heat for 30 secs with hairdryer again and a very light mist of hairspray.

With the curls cooling I get myself dressed etc, eat breakfast (assuming I am doing this in the morning), then do my hair.

Doing it this way I find the curl stays all day and the next day I have a really nice wave.

I wash my hair every three days and the wave will last till then.

The best thing is to pin it securely, check to see if any need a second pin and the LEAVE it to its own devices!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Snookie said:
I always have trouble getting the of the roll to go in toward my head. You know, so it's cornucopia shaped instead of a tube. Something to do with the angle I roll in at. More practice for me!

This is where hair pins would help.... use hair pins (not bobby pins) for the outside of the roll to secure a bit more. These are just the long U shaped pins. Hold straight up and down alongside the outside of your role with the pin just in the hair a bit. Now fold the pin over flat against your head and slide in underneath the role. I hope this makes sense.

As for more of a cornucopia shape, hold/roll the one end of the curl tighter than the other. After you pin close to the tight end you can go back and gently losen the other end more if needed. If the tight end is not tight enough, use hairpins to secure closer to head.

Check out the other thread going right now as well~
http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=211015&posted=1#post211015

Nikki

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is kind of off topic, but does have to do with vintage hair. About a year ago I came across The Hair Archives . They have lot's of pictures of styles from the golden era, and they also sell vintage hair magazines, and beauty school instruction manuals and books. Right now he doesn't have anything from the 30's or 40's, but he frequently updates his site. I purchased a vintage beauty school book from him for a very reasonable price. Thought I would share the site with you. I have seen these books/manuals going on e-bay for outrageous prices. So, keep your eye on this site, you never know what you'll find. Plus, he's got some pretty good pictures up too.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for posting this Daisy, I haven't visited the archives for quite some time and he has some new stuff added!
Those bouffant/behive ones just crack me up. Why am I hearing Loretta Lynn songs all of a sudden?? LOL!

Nikki

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
This is where hair pins would help.... use hair pins (not bobby pins) for the outside of the roll to secure a bit more. These are just the long U shaped pins. Hold straight up and down alongside the outside of your role with the pin just in the hair a bit. Now fold the pin over flat against your head and slide in underneath the role. I hope this makes sense.

I use a pair of long, curved bobby pins and find they work just fine. The shape has much to do with the tension you place on the hair section. I tip my head to the side opposite off the roll and pull the section as taut as possible, with slightly more tension at the back in order to create that cone shape. Secure with one pin in the front, and then re-tighten the back a bit so that it is as close as possible to your head in order to really emphasize the cone shape--then slide the second pin in, making sure to capture the hair as close to your scalp (you may scrape the pin across the scalp as you do.) This method works well on my hair, and it is the same way I create rolls on others :)

MissHuff

A-List Customer
my first try at a full on roll

I'm still trying to master the roll and have only been able to create one decent looking roll. I think it has to do with working on the the left side of the head and using the mirror. I have directional issues sometimes lol. This is my first attempt at doing a full hairdo for my birthday night out. I was very pleased with the results. I pincurled my hair the night before. I used some pomade to keep it all together because I have thin straight hair that doesn't like to cooperate at all. The rolls didn't seem as tricky as usual with the help of the pincurls to give my hair some more volume.

us.jpg

Me and My Hunnie out for a night of birthday fun.

bf.jpg

I made the dress myself by mixing different vintage patterns for the top and skirt. Had to wear the ruby red slippers on my day. :D

The hair was a success even when I ended up a mess by the end of the night.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I loooove your shoes, where did you find them? :D
I hope your birthday was fun, when was it? and how old are you? I know you're never supposed to ask a lady her age, but between us girls;)

MissHuff

A-List Customer
CanadaDoll said:
I loooove your shoes, where did you find them? :D
I hope your birthday was fun, when was it? and how old are you? I know you're never supposed to ask a lady her age, but between us girls;)

Thanks! I bought them at this cute little shop downtown that I go to to buy cheap shoes. 25 bucks! By the end of the night I was definitely trying to click my heels together to get me home to bed. My birthday was on the 20th. I just turned 20 years old... goin on 40 as my future mother in law would say lol so it was my Golden Birthday.

Snookie

Practically Family
Thanks for the hairpin tips, ladies. I got some hairpins recently, and combining them with a few bobbypins gave me great shape and staying power. (And the instructions did make sense, after I acted them out while reading them! :) )

I've also started teasing my hair on the inside of the roll, which helps with volume and gives the pins something to hang onto.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
okay, I don't know what it is with me but these just don't ever seem to work, should I be using a particular comb, hair product? Please help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24