Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Victory Rolls!

GOK

One Too Many
OK I have to ask this. It's been puzzling me for a while now. All of you ladies that put the curlers and pins, scarves and hair nets in at night when you go to bed...well your partners...don't they, er, say anything? And please don't take this the wrong way because I'm really only curious but don't you mind your partners seeing you with your hair in curlers?

As I said, I'm merely curious because I just couldn't imagine doing any of that in front of a man (or woman if she were my partner!). [huh]

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
What is your hair type Canadadoll? Perhaps trying to roll each section on a hot roller in the same direction you want your rolls to go first. Remember, everyone's hair was rolled or pincurled back in the day and their rolls will turn out much better. We *can* acheive them without prerolling, but the effect is not the same and it can be extremely hard for some hairtypes without "foundation" setting first.

You can even try rolling it on something, a plastic roller, end of a brush, ect.. then sliding the item out and pin.

If you hair is limp, most definitely tease first, spray, then lightly brush the outer layer, then roll.

HTH!

Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
LOL, GOK you crack me up! I certainly wouldn't worry about how I looked in rollers. He's seen me at my worst, (childbirth), and besides, I know he appreciates the end result.

Of course trying for an intimate moment might be different, but I don't do this all of the time, hehehe.. I'm sure he still wouldn't care!

Nikki

MissHuff

A-List Customer
GOK said:
OK I have to ask this. It's been puzzling me for a while now. All of you ladies that put the curlers and pins, scarves and hair nets in at night when you go to bed...well your partners...don't they, er, say anything? And please don't take this the wrong way because I'm really only curious but don't you mind your partners seeing you with your hair in curlers?

As I said, I'm merely curious because I just couldn't imagine doing any of that in front of a man (or woman if she were my partner!). [huh]

I used to have an issue with letting my fella see me that way and I would do it after he went to bed and covered it with a big scarf. Not that I'm embarassed by my beauty regime it just didn't seem proper. He actually loves watching me put curlers in my hair and everything. There are some nights where the rollers just have to stay in the box for the night ;)

my babygirl LOVES laughing at me with curlers in my hair lol.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
ohairas said:
What is your hair type Canadadoll? Perhaps trying to roll each section on a hot roller in the same direction you want your rolls to go first. Remember, everyone's hair was rolled or pincurled back in the day and their rolls will turn out much better. We *can* acheive them without prerolling, but the effect is not the same and it can be extremely hard for some hairtypes without "foundation" setting first.

You can even try rolling it on something, a plastic roller, end of a brush, ect.. then sliding the item out and pin.

If you hair is limp, most definitely tease first, spray, then lightly brush the outer layer, then roll.

HTH!

Nikki
Limp and fine and layered, I tried using the barrel of my sister's curling iron (not heated) and when I tried to pull it out it just fell apart in my fingers, teasing didn't seem to work, but I've never really fussed with my hair before, so maybe I wasn't doing it right.... I don't know, all I can say is that I look a little odd with forties make up, and semi 40s clothes and a ponytaillol

atomicfabulous

New in Town
I always had a really hard and frustrating time doing my hair up, but I had my business partner (who uses hot rollers every other day) do my hair for a wedding. I was very observant, watching every step. I learned to separate my head into 3 sections: sides and center, secure the sides to do the center first. She took a section of hair to curl, applied a small amount of pomade to make the hair stick together and misted it with hairspray. She was using hot rollers on me at the time, but I have used the same method with my medium barrel curling iron at home. After I release a curl, I pin it in place so it cools in a curl shape (I have straight hair that usually is very difficult for me to style...until now!) After my hair is done being curled, I will release the curls from the bobby pins and start playing with sections. Curling helps with directionality of the ends of the hair, and if you pull the curls out and brush them with your fingers you can get all the ends going the same direction. Take the curved end and start rolling. I just mess with a section until the rolls look good. I also tend to wear them tighter to my head and more flat because of my face shape, plus I am thin, so I don't want to look like a bobblehead. I have been pulling up the rest of my hair in the back creating big flat rolls and pinning them in place. I don't have any really good pics, but I will see if I can find something to show a finished product...My biggest lesson is to be patient, and if something looks messy if I keep on it, it will just get messier. Throw in a pretty hair flower and spray it with hairspray and then leave the mirror! It took so long at first, but it is getting easier! Someday I will have to master pincurls...someday!

atomicfabulous

New in Town
IMG_0349.jpg

Not reverse rolls. like I said, I like 'em flat, but the initial workload is the same.

r lush

New in Town
pin curls?

I think I looked over the directions for pin curls! can anyone repost them or explane how to do them? I am miffed [huh]

PS

A-List Customer
That was fantastic! I didn't find much when I searched YouTube.
Where can I get 'rat's? So you pin through them or under them??

Thanks! I haven't tried many vintage hairstyles. I do a pretty schnazzy ponytail but that is about it!

JitterBugJenny

New in Town
I made my own rats this evening. I bought brown knee highs, stuffed them with cotton balls, tied off the ends then cut the excess off....I had amazing results! will post pics eventually!!!

This was the best tutorial I have come across and so far, the only one that worked for me!

Check out her classic cocktail mix too!!!! I made it tonight and its very tasty!
I love the way she (Amanda) sings The Andrews Sisters songs and plays vintage music thru the video!

CLASSIC COCKTAIL VIDEO INSTRUCTIONS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kqxlrj09Wo

Enjoy ladies!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
PS said:
That was fantastic! I didn't find much when I searched YouTube.
Where can I get 'rat's? So you pin through them or under them??

Thanks! I haven't tried many vintage hairstyles. I do a pretty schnazzy ponytail but that is about it!
those foam rats can be found at beauty supply places like sallys

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very cool!

I will definitely try to rolls, I always have trouble with those!
And I think if you use a flat piece of cardboard instead of a roll for the bangs it may look more convincing.
But I have to take exception with her saying the strong-shouldered look came from the hair, it is vice versa! She never saw Letty Lynton, I take it. After that film, all Joan Crawford's dresses had extreme shoulders, and we're talking ten years before Victory rolls!

Dracca

One of the Regulars
JitterBugJenny said:
I made my own rats this evening. I bought brown knee highs, stuffed them with cotton balls, tied off the ends then cut the excess off....I had amazing results! will post pics eventually!!!

This was the best tutorial I have come across and so far, the only one that worked for me!

Check out her classic cocktail mix too!!!! I made it tonight and its very tasty!
I love the way she (Amanda) sings The Andrews Sisters songs and plays vintage music thru the video!

CLASSIC COCKTAIL VIDEO INSTRUCTIONS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kqxlrj09Wo

Enjoy ladies!

That is a great idea to make your own. I am going to try that.

Thanks for the video. Sounds like a wonderful way to do a fast hairstyle on a busy day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot