Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video games based in the golden era

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
This is very exciting... Spider Man Noir!
[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l6TJ-pt4aTU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l6TJ-pt4aTU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Rola

New in Town
I've been petitioning mobygames.com (so far to no avail) to create a game group devoted to the Golden Era. This would make it so much easier to search for game set in this period.

C-dot said:
Who remembers - and better yet, still plays - DOS games?
Yes to both questions :) Been playing Wolf3D in 1993, completed it finally... last year lol

Some of the titles below are really old (dosbox - a free piece of software - recommended, just as some 1990s-tech expertise ;) ), but some of you pointing to some equally old titles got me encouraged.

Flight of the Amazon Queen - adventure game, which is freeware now. Nice Ford Trimotor (or is it Fokker F.VII? I always mix them up)
Noir: A Shadowy Thriller adventure, one of the very few black&white games!
Black Dahlia yet another adventure, murder case
Cruise for a Corpse a whodunnit adventure set on a ship in 1927
Chicago 1930 to best describe this title would be to ask "did you play Commandos: behind enemy lines?"

Shall I post more, ladies and gentlemen?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
L.A. Noire

L.A. Noire comes to mind. I think it will be for the X Box 360.

lanoire.jpg

lanoire_trailer_us_div012.jpg

0930234559.jpg

111353.jpg

LA-Noire-In-Game-5-685x345.jpg

LA-Noire-In-Game-4.jpg

LA-Noire-In-Game-2.jpg

The lighting and imagery look fantastic.

Cheers!

Dan

Chas

One Too Many
The Normandy 1944 mod for ArmA 2 looks good.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V4ZujToZtik&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V4ZujToZtik&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Mafia II is being released at the end of THIS MONTH!

Hold onto your hats, folks. I, for one, am jazzed up and raring to go. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of it.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Shangas said:
Mafia II is being released at the end of THIS MONTH!

Hold onto your hats, folks. I, for one, am jazzed up and raring to go. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of it.

Me too; although I fear my computer's graphics card may be too old and outdated. My last two computers have been laptops, so the graphics card has been where they have fallen short performance wise. If Mafia II is good, I may just have to eventually get a PS3....

Chainsaw

Suspended
"Tommy, I got a job for ya......" No Label. Check out the credits though. The food tastes better over there. No heart burn too!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Gentleman gamers of the forum.

I bring news of the Mafia II DEMO, CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD.

I have just downloaded, installed and run this demo.

Holy cakeflipping Jesus...

This game...

...I WANT IT!!!!

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Shangas said:
Gentleman gamers of the forum.

I bring news of the Mafia II DEMO, CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD.

I have just downloaded, installed and run this demo.

Holy cakeflipping Jesus...

This game...

...I WANT IT!!!!
Tempting, but I want to be almost completely new to the game so when I DO get my copy, I have a clean palate to be further amazed. Kind of like seeing a movie with no prior knowledge of anything spare the basic theme.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I too have played the Mafia II demo, and it's, to describe it so simply; amazing. This is what I have been waiting for, for quite a while; a game that immerses one into the life and role of a 1940s, and 1950s Mafioso, with open-ended sensibilities. I have to admit, this seems to be far better than The Godfather, one which I also find myself in, frequently. I haven't played the original Mafia, though.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
J B said:
I too have played the Mafia II demo, and it's, to describe it so simply; amazing. This is what I have been waiting for, for quite a while; a game that immerses one into the life and role of a 1940s, and 1950s Mafioso, with open-ended sensibilities. I have to admit, this seems to be far better than The Godfather, one which I also find myself in, frequently. I haven't played the original Mafia, though.
I would recommend it. There are few games I find myself still playing eight years later other than Mafia. I understand that the Collectors Edition/ certain pre-orders, come with a copy of the first game.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Vintage lover said:
I would recommend it. There are few games I find myself still playing eight years later other than Mafia. I understand that the Collectors Edition/ certain pre-orders, come with a copy of the first game.

The irony is, I actually own the first Mafia, although I haven't gotten around to it just yet... I should though.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
J B said:
The irony is, I actually own the first Mafia, although I haven't gotten around to it just yet... I should though.
If you have Vista (like my unfortunate self) you might have problems with background music. Annoying, but I suppose that you can always play music on itunes in the background.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Vintage lover said:
If you have Vista (like my unfortunate self) you might have problems with background music. Annoying, but I suppose that you can always play music on itunes in the background.

Vintage Lover, were you able to get the original Mafia to work in Windows Vista? I tried sometime over a year ago, couldn't get it to work, and after looking online only found posts on computer forums that further told me it doesn't work in Vista. Is there a special trick you found?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot