Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video games based in the golden era

LouieGee

New in Town
There's also a nice version of Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express by the Adventure Company. It's a little complicated at points, but well worth the persistence.

LuckyLady

New in Town
Stubbs the Zombie (released 2006) is set in 1959. It's a really goofy game, with the art decoration being styled after the 50's vision of the future. Check it out if you need a laugh.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Last Christmas, I bought Bioshock for the fiancé, thinking it was some crazy "Tom Clancy" type game. I had no idea it was such a cool retro scenery! Now, I enjoy watching him play it, so I can look at Rapture, even though the splicers creep me out :p

He has Call of Duty: World at War, where he fights WWII battles from the Russians, Americans, Italians and such. I don't enjoy watching him play that one so much - the explosions make me crazy!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
anon` said:
But Nazi Zombies is the most fun you'll have in a multiplayer co-op game outside of L4D ;)

OH MY GOSH NO!!! He made me play that once and it gave me NIGHTMARES! Not to mention that he now likes to run after me like the zombies!

No joke! lol

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
You can't go wrong with any of the Indy games, I have them for PS2 and PSP.
PC games I gotta go with all three of the Combat Flight Sims from MS and of course the IL2 series. There is nothing like scrambiling off the deck in a vintage fighter and wadeing into a bomber formation. Then there is FS2004 with a great addon called Golden Hawaii set in the 1930's with allot of those beautifull flying boats.
One other PC game I have is The Cameron Files Pharaoh's Curse which is set in the 1920's or 30's.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Mafia II (which is coming out next year) is set between 1945-1955!!

Some pre-release screenshots of Mafia II:

mafia-2-mafia2_0119.jpg

f5551_Mafia2_0100.JPG

medium_2406383954_21fc960bfa_o.jpg

The young chap on the left with the Tommy-gun, pinstriped suit and the watch-chain in his waistcoat is Vito, he's the game's main character.

Mafia-II-6.jpg

EBPD (Empire Bay Police Department) in hot persuit of a suspect! Empire Bay is the fictional city where Mafia II takes place.

SwingKid7

New in Town
mmorpg

I have to mention Second Life. Although it's not a video game or pc game per se it is an MMORPG.

This virtual world has tons of places set in just about any time period you can imagine. I myself own a 1940s USO Club there.
A friend of mine owns a 1920s Berlin area.

I think this would world would be a great place for many of us to "play" together.

My name in game is Madison Talon. Look me up if you are already a member or join in. http://www.secondlife.com

Edward

Bartender
I keep meaning to investigate Second Life. It's years since I played any computer game much beyond online Zuma, or Tetris. I do have Return To Castle Wolfenstein on my mobile telephone, which is a great game - mutant Nazis and zombies. I like the sound of a lot of the games mentioned. I'm actually toying with the idea of buying a PS3 after Christmas, when the price comes down a bit.... I have been thinking a console with a good quality of game (I'd like something more role play oriented than pure action, though a zombie shooter would be great if I can get a gun-controller for the systrem) in that vein might be fun. The PS3 is also said to be one of the better affordable Blu Ray players on the market, which attracts me: it'll be a year or two yet before the Panasonic recordable Blu Ray machine becomes affordable, and I'd like to start getting into Blu Ray in the meantime with a machine that will still be worth having if I repalce it with one of those in a year or two.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
+1 on Mafia- not only a great video game, but also a great organised crime story in general. Couple caveats- I do remember hearing that the PC version (which I played) is far superior to the PS2 version. There are a couple frustrating parts as well, though there are tricks to get around them. Finally, if you're really anal about accuracy, know that some of the music is a bit anachronistic. :D

Bioshock is a good straight action game, and very nice looking, with a lot of Golden Era vibe.

Finally, there's the Fallout series. It takes place in the future, but it's a post-apocalyptic retro future. Imagine a world that looks like Terry Gilliam's Brazil, then drop nuclear bombs all over it and see what society is like 150 years later. That's the Fallout series.

You may also want to check out an older horror PC game, Nocturne. It's set in the 20s, and you play a dual pistol wielding/trenchcoat and fedora clad strong man battling your way through a bunch of interesting settings. There's a vampire castle, a Lovecraftian style horror story, and even a Mafia-owned Frankenstein factory building soldiers for their street gangs.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
+1 on Mafia- not only a great video game, but also a great organised crime story in general. Couple caveats- I do remember hearing that the PC version (which I played) is far superior to the PS2 version. There are a couple frustrating parts as well, though there are tricks to get around them. Finally, if you're really anal about accuracy, know that some of the music is a bit anachronistic.

The PC version is a LOT better than the console version. It really is. It's marvellous. Yes, the music can be a bit anachronistic (especially the ending credits song!...shudder!). I can't wait for the sequel next year.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Shangas said:
The PC version is a LOT better than the console version. It really is. It's marvellous. Yes, the music can be a bit anachronistic (especially the ending credits song!...shudder!). I can't wait for the sequel next year.

I've heard the same thing about the PC version (which is the one I played, seeing as I didn't even have a console system when I played Mafia). I enjoyed just playing freeride at times and driving around in a Golden Era city. The details that game had were amazing.

I just wish I could get Mafia to work on my new Vista system...[huh]

Anthony K

Familiar Face
ScionPI2005 said:
I just wish I could get Mafia to work on my new Vista system...[huh]

I share your pain. I tried loading it up on mine and no luck. Thankfully I still have my old system and can play it on it. I had the console version after I had the PC version, the PC is much better. The racing was a pain, but I found out about a cheat for it so I was able to pass it after hours of time and frustration.

I can't wait for the sequel.

anon`

One Too Many
For anyone who might be keeping track, Bioshock 2 is due in November. It's set as a prequel to Bioshock. That "series'" whole reiterative prequel thing is getting getting silly!

And FWIW, PC titles are almost universally superior in content and quality to console ports of same. It's just a more flexible and powerful platform.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Shangas said:

I meant this in a slightly tongue in cheek way, as I remember the game takes place in the 30s, but most of the music is from the 40s. :D

I totally forgot about the ending credits song, though. I agree, that one really came out nowhere.

In any case, it is an excellent game.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The game takes place 1930-1938. Most of the music is actually period-correct if you look up the recording-dates of the recordings used in the game. They were all recorded in the 1930s.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Shangas said:
The game takes place 1930-1938. Most of the music is actually period-correct if you look up the recording-dates of the recordings used in the game. They were all recorded in the 1930s.

I stand corrected then. Well, at least on everything except the Lordz of Brooklyn rap at the end, but I doubt there's any argument there. lol

NY_Confidential

Familiar Face
BruceTracy said:
I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned the Godfather games for XBox 360 and PlayStation 3.

I actually prefer them for the PC.. but I think they're horrendous.
They look good and, I've played the 2nd Godfather game for many many hours, but it became too repetitive.

I was wondering if any of you are into the grand strategy stuff, like Hearts of Iron III? I tried that game many times and couldn't wrap my head around it.. BUT I'd like to be able to enjoy it.. hmm

for those of you who liked Mafia, Mafia 2 is due out this year... and I look forward to it. (Yes, saw the screenies above).

For regular everyday gaming, I've been playing EVE-Online since 2003, and with its latest graphics engine deployed late 2008, I never get tired of it. 60,000 people online on one server, at once. :)

For those that haven't heard of it: (there may or may not be a 30 second advertisement for something else before the EVE video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq2oxt7Nrxo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot