Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage 1940s dark blue DB score on Ebay

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Dr Doran

Thanks Marc, Justin.

I only hope that the alterations will work out. Otherwise I have to lose weight and visit Procrustes.

anon`

One Too Many
I think they will. The shoulders on this suit are actually a little wide for what I need, if that helps any, and it looked like the rest of the suit had plenty of material to work with.

But on the other hand... losing weight leads to lots more (and often, lots more affordable) options when hunting for vintage clothing ;)

Dr Doran

anon` said:
I think they will. The shoulders on this suit are actually a little wide for what I need, if that helps any, and it looked like the rest of the suit had plenty of material to work with.

But on the other hand... losing weight leads to lots more (and often, lots more affordable) options when hunting for vintage clothing ;)

But if I were to go down to a 34 waist, I'd have to get all my suits adjusted ... I have about 40 suits (most not vintage, needless to say). This could get expensive. I think I'll stay at a 36 waist. Maybe go down to 35; that would be no big deal on the wardrobe, no adjustments necessary.

Edward

Bartender
I'd need liposuction to even be able to stand next to those trousers! Beautiful suit, though - I love those 40s DBs.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Saw it, loved it! However, not my size of course :eusa_doh: And out of cash, had to pay the rent last weekend.:(

Oh well, there's others! I'm still keeping my eyes out for the perfect 30s or early 40s blue, light gray, or brown bold chalk stripe double breasted that seems to haunt me in my dreams and smaller sized jobs I run into in vintage shops.

*Sigh*

Dr Doran

Forgotten Man said:
Saw it, loved it! However, not my size of course :eusa_doh: And out of cash, had to pay the rent last weekend.:(

Oh well, there's others! I'm still keeping my eyes out for the perfect 30s or early 40s blue, light gray, or brown bold chalk stripe double breasted that seems to haunt me in my dreams and smaller sized jobs I run into in vintage shops.

*Sigh*

What is your size? 44L? Sometimes Julie/Pdxvintagette/FabGabsVintage finds those.

There is a brown chalk stripe DB in my dreams as well.

Does a green chalk stripe DB exist?

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
Saw it, loved it, and wished it were in my size. Way too big for me, as always.

Congrats! It'll look great.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
anon` said:

Tell me about it...I just scored a beautiful Canali suit off SF for USD300 (in Aussie AUD2500!) and then had to spend AUD140 on alterations when (if I was my normal size) it would have been pants and sleeves...if I were 42 I would have a wardrobe full of vintage clothes..

Dr Doran

The suit arrived. Looks superb, lovely condition. More black than dark blue, which is what I wanted anyway, since I have a superb blue 1940s DB suit already. The jacket fits beautifully except the sleeves need to be an other inch long. There is sufficient fabric. The trousers (both of them) are both slightly short as well as slightly small in the waist, as I suspected. I have enough skill to do the trousers myself, but it would take a long time, so I'll probably bring them into the tailor. The jacket-sleeves I cannot do myself. So this won't be cheap; but it also won't be 140 Aussie dollars, more like 50 bucks in toto.

I shall post photos of myself in it after I get it altered. Thank you all for your interest.

Dr Doran

The suit arrived. Looks superb, lovely condition. The jacket fits beautifully except the sleeves need to be an other inch long. There is sufficient fabric. The trousers (both of them) are both slightly short as well as slightly small in the waist, as I suspected. I have enough skill to do the trousers myself, but it would take a long time, so I'll probably bring them in. The jacket-sleeves I cannot do myself. So this won't be cheap; but it also won't be 140 Aussie dollars, more like 50 bucks in toto.

Bugsy

One Too Many
Doran said:
I just scored this dark blue with gray-white pinstripes 1940s DB with two (2) trousers on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270436376110&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

Will post pics after tailoring is done (probably take down arms an inch, take down cuffs and do false cuffs, and increase waist).

Were any of the rest of you bidding on it? I got it for only slightly over half what I thought I'd have to pay.

Congratulations, you got a beauty. I think we are all looking forward to seeing your pictures.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Similar ebay DB Suit

!BZGeQ(wBGk~$(KGrHgoOKk!EjlLmYq-kBKlCO!FwIQ~~_12.JPG
!BZGeSVw!2k~$(KGrHgoOKjwEjlLmV5FdBKlCOFOkiQ~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350244668195#ht_1674wt_1167

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
that looks like it would fit me better. Wanna trade? I still haven't adjusted the one I got.
I haven't received it yet. I need to discover how it measures up in real life. I'm never too confident of the listed measurements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW