Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage 1945 lipstick ad...with lipstick!

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Ladies, forgive my intrusion, but my girlfriend won this on eBay and I knew you fine folks would appreciate it. This is a 1945 lipstick ad featuring a favorite '40s actress of ours, Mary Beth Hughes, a sadly forgotten b-movie star of the time. I know it's from '45, because the movie noted in the ad is "The Great Flamarion," also starring Eric von Stroheim and Dan Duryea.

Steph got it because of the Mary Beth Hughes factor, and was surprised to see that the ad also included a vintage, unopened example of the same lipstick! Pretty nifty, if I do say so myself. Even has the original box. Pics:

315394730_3c6c8bc680.jpg

The ad w/ unopened lipstick.

315395719_9c8f6275ba.jpg

Details of the top of the ad. I especially enjoy the fact that lipstick is in quotation marks.

315396533_658fbb9d85.jpg

The box. The whole set is in remarkably nice shape, no?

315397203_3c6f75f010.jpg

I love this little detail on top of the box.

315397818_ddb2666df3.jpg

The bottle. The color is a little deceiving. It's nearly this dark in real life, though. Not being an expert on makeup, how well does lipstick age? :)

315399469_03ac5d52ee.jpg

Can't smear! Won't rub off!

315400680_086e41cc6d.jpg

Enjoy our liquid "lipstick," and see "The Great Flamarion!"

315401515_24d8a602ed.jpg

Examples of colors. What's the color name here that you probably wouldn't see today?

315402345_814494f18f.jpg

All-in-all, a pretty cool find IMHO. Steph wanted me to post this for her. Enjoy this little bit of vintage ephemera!

Snookie

Practically Family
Very very cool! Thanks so much for sharing. I love seeing the colors offered by the line. What a great reference.

I think lipstick is in quotes because it's a liquid, and therefore not in stick form. Truth in advertising. I guess the Can't Smear Won't Rub Off claim must be true, then!

(BTW, the pics are also going in my hair references folder. Love those bangs!)

r lush

New in Town
wow, would be really neat to display something like that in a make up area-- what a great find your gal made! I love seeing all those shades, thanks for posting such great photos

makes me feel better about that shade of bright pink I just can't let go of. it works with 40s! now have the proof lol

GOK

One Too Many
Oh my goodness, that is amazing. It looks almost perfect too. Thank you so much for sharing this with us, AG and please thank your lady too. :)

sarah smith

New in Town
I'd be extremely careful in using that lipstick! It could contain a lot of stuff that could be very bad for you! Like lead!

Great display item though!

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
And after so many red lipstick threads, further confirmation that we have other lip color options!

I like the shade second from the top. It's just a nice, pretty pink.

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
You can get some really interesting things on ebay.
Looks like your girlfriend did very well. It also looks like it would be worth a bit of money, so take care of it!
Thanks for sharing that with us..:)

atomicfabulous

New in Town
I purchased a vintage lipstick compact a few years ago and it still had the full lipstick intact! The color was a corally-canteloupe hue, ever since then I have bought every light orangey-pink lipstick I can find! I also love lychee lux lip glass from Mac (similar color) which is about the longest wearing lip gloss I have ever tried.

I just can't pull off a true red :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy