Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage American Hat Co. Western TALL 7 5/8 to 7 3/4

frussell

One Too Many
What a heartbreaker. Got this hat nearly two months of eBay and PayPal disputes, cross-country mail foulups, only to find it's too tight, even for stretching. It's exactly what I was looking for, a silverbelly hat with enough crown to convert to a big boy's Open Road. The crown is 5 1/2" WITH the crease already in it, and the brim is 4". A few small stains, nothing a good brushing wouldn't erase, or a "hat sponge." Liner looks nearly new, ribbon, sweat are great. See photos for spec card numbers. I'm not sure of the year, but it's from a while back. Brim is cowboy stiff, crown is softer. What I like about American Hat Co. western felt is how thin it is. Makes for a great conversion. I'll list it here for $45 shipped for a few days, then maybe send it to Optimo if it doesn't sell, have them make me something in my size. Tagged as a 7 3/4, but this would work well for a 7 5/8 head, may be snug on a 7 3/4. My loss is your gain, trades considered. (I'm a long oval 7 3/4 to 7 7/8.) Thanks, Frank.
P9090051.jpg
[/IMG]
P9090052.jpg
[/IMG]
P9090053.jpg
[/IMG]

shortbow

Practically Family
I woulda really enjoyed working with that lid, as you say a great hat at a great price. Only prob was it would be huge on me. Good luck with it. That company made great hats at that time.

frussell

One Too Many
Tired of looking at this hat, don't want to spend money converting it/upsizing. I think this would work great for a size 7 1/2, and if someone wanted to have a hatter convert it, it would make a superb Open Road style, or just a great cowboy hat as is. This was a good maker, and the brim is stiff, but much thinner and workable than modern western hats. Great for re-shaping. I bought it to convert, but it's much smaller than the 7 3/4 on the tag. I'd just like to recoup my shipping charges and the eBay nightmare that receiving this hat caused. $30, PayPal, shipping included. Those looking to try a new style might really like it. It's got a super tall crown that could be re-bashed any way you desire, not the modern low-crowned cowboy hat. Thanks, Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff