Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage and Rollercoasters?

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
This weekend we'll be taking our yearly trip to the Red River Ex, Canada's huge traveling fair. As usual, I have no clue what to wear. People there tend to be the very WORST examples of modern fashion, with all the girls butts hanging out of their torn up 80s inspired trendy clothes and all the guys in knee-length tshirts looking like wannabe rappers. So needless to say it's much easier than normal to feel out of place. I really don't want to give in to that norm and couldn't if I tried, but still feel cute while not standing out too much. And of course whatever I wear has to be walking, heat, and upside down-friendly. I think a play-suit would be best, but sadly I don't own one. Shoes are the worst, because the only thing truly practical that I own is runners, and they don't go with anything, and they're still too hot. I'm worried I'll end up in sandals and daisy dukes or something :S. It's the biggest fashion challenge of the year! lol
Last year I wore the go-to swing dress for breezy comfort, with shorts underneath to prevent indecent exposure. The whole day I felt like... hmm... "Smelly people! Make way for the fanciest girl in the world!" and the parasol I needed didn't help. I don't want to feel like that again lol

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I don't know what your personal style is like, but if you have any 40s or 50s high-waisted shorts, capris, jeans, etc., that could be perfect. You could pair them with a cute blouse tied up at the waist for a very vintage-casual look, or, to blend in a bit, a cute t-shirt. I think separates always look more casual in any case; perhaps you could wear a circle skirt with a peasant or halter top.

I hate flats too, but oxfords and ReMix wedges are my go-to shoes for long walking days.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
just feel free to wear what you wear in normal life, it is not a big deal to me

Yes, but vintage *is* our normal life ;)

I'm going to Canada's Wonderland this weekend, and I'm planning to wear high waisted shorts and a button-up tie top like RodeoRose suggested. Shoes will be houndstooth ballet flats. The whole look is very early 50's.

Hair is a decidedly tougher issue. A heavily lacquered backward roll works if you have the length in your bangs. The rest of the hair, if curled normally, will look kind of cute all mussed up by wind (keep a comb in your purse and tear it through between roller coasters if it gets really bad). You could also put it in a ponytail or pigtails, depending on what you're comfortable with.

Last edited:

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
I'd suggest bringing a scarf to tie over your hair if it gets really out of hand. Especially if you have plans for afterward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy