Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Appliances

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
A couple of months ago, Mrs. Reno Kid and I were lucky enough to snag one of these:
1.jpg

1934 Magic Chef 1000

It's in working condition but we plan to have it restored to "as new" condition before putting it into service.

MountainMark

New in Town
Hello everybody. I am new on here and have a 1920's hotpoint stove, with three burners and an over. It is the type with the "Queen Anne" style legs. Anyway, I recently acquired a cabin in the foothills of Colorado and want to use this stove there. My only problem is figuring out what amperage to use in the breaker box. It is 220 W and I know that most modern stoves use either 50 or 60 amps, but with the smaller oven and only three burners, I was wondering if I could use less, such as a 40 amp breaker.

The reason I would like to use a smaller amp breaker, if possible, is due to the smaller total service provided to the cabin (I think the external service box is rated at 75 amps).

Any help, thoughts, or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I ran across a Hamilton Beach Model G at an antique store recently, but passed it by at $30. Anyone have experience with one?
Like this:
fa673fb37fd35a64e80592982731e4bf.jpg

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
In the late 80s I worked in a garage that had an old fridge in the lunch room for cold drinks and lunches. The seal was petrified and crumbling, the freezer compartment which was about big enough for a loaf of bread, was caked solid with ice inside and coated 6" thick on the outside.

I salvaged a door seal off a Chev pickup truck we were junking and defrosted the fridge by the simple method of pulling the plug on Friday night. I put some square trays and buckets inside to catch the water. On Monday I dumped the water down the sink, wiped the inside clean, plugged it in and it was ready to go.

If the seal is good and you don't open the door too often it takes quite a while to frost up. Even so, it is easy to defrost if you do it before the ice is 1/2" thick. Unplug and leave the door open overnight, with a bucket under the freezer compartment. Put your groceries in a styrofoam cooler. In the morning it will be defrosted. No chipping or melting called for.

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
I ran across a Hamilton Beach Model G at an antique store recently, but passed it by at $30. Anyone have experience with one?
Like this:
fa673fb37fd35a64e80592982731e4bf.jpg

Hi, I have a very similar model Hamilton Beach that I've used for many years. It works great and has had no problems. Just don't get any utensils in the beaters. They will bend.:D

As some of you may know from my posts in "Show Us Your Vintage Home," my girlfriend and I recently purchased a coop apartment in a 1927/28 building and we've been working to restore it. Along the way, we've come across some vintage appliances to help bring back a true late 20s / 30s feel.

The fist up is this egg cooker which is NOS (with the cloth cord that plugged into a lightbulb socket having been replaced). After looking at the pictures, if you are interested, click on this link http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/2014/05/18/may-18-2014-an-update-to-other-small-appliances/ to read a bit about it. Also, we are off to the farmers market tomorrow to buy eggs to try it out.

And the eggs sit here

Instructions on the bottom

And the original tag on the cord

This is a circa 1920s intercom phone that we will have installed for use with the building's intercom system (we'll do some light clean up to the exterior - remove some old paint splotches - and the intercom company will re-wire it to work with their system).

And purely as eye candy, the super knows we are crazy about this vintage stuff, so he showed us this original-to-the-building oven that is still in use in one apartment.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Right, then.

They are nice, early Post-war mixers. Powerful enough for everything but kneading dough,mand quite reliable. Price seems about right for here in the Midwest, though I would have preferred to see it commits its matching mixing bowls.

When putting one of these back into heavy service after long storage it is usually a good idea to re-lubricate the gear box with food-grade grease (available ar restaurant supply houses.)

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Right, then.

Right, then.

They are nice, early Post-war mixers. Powerful enough for everything but kneading dough,mand quite reliable. Price seems about right for here in the Midwest, though I would have preferred to see it commits its matching mixing bowls.

When putting one of these back into heavy service after long storage it is usually a good idea to re-lubricate the gear box with food-grade grease (available ar restaurant supply houses.)

I recently received this lighter as a gift (not a smoker, just love these old lighters) and it appears to be broken in that the top part looks like it should be flush to the body when not being used (and only come up when someone want it to light), but it won't stay down. Does anyone know if it should stay down? Also, any suggestions on a repair place?

Thank you, FF

And the back (which is very pretty)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If it's constructed like most lighters of the era, then it should have a spring or something inside it. The spring and ratchet operate it.

You press down on one end, and it drives the flint-wheel, which strikes the flint, which lights the fluid-vapour.

You let go of the toggle, and a spring snaps the thing shut, forcing the other half of the toggle down, which smothers the flame.

I'd say the spring which does this is either broken, or missing.

I just received a repair estimate for the lighter back from one company (I sent them the photos) and they gave me a repair estimate of $65 and said it is an Evans lighter - does that sound reasonable to those here who might know? Thank you.

Papperskatt

Practically Family
I've been on the hunt for a 20s/30s fridge for a while, and was lucky enough to find this Electrolux on a Swedish auction site similar to eBay. The auction ended yesterday and as I was the only bidder I got it for about $11. :D Too bad about the legs, but hey, $11! It won't be too hard to make some replacements, and the paint looks easy to remove.

vAgP1jv.jpg
piGRAdA.jpg

I haven't seen it in person yet (I'll pick it up on Tuesday), and the seller doesn't know if it's running or not. But I figured that for the price I'm willing to take a chance.

It's not an easy task to find information on Electrolux products from the era, but from what little I've found I think that it is indeed from the 20s (or at least early 30s) as they changed the design of the logo plate and the handle in the 30s.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112