Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bathing Suits

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There's more, but not in my possession...

goldwyn girl said:
Miss 1929, Wow, fantastic photo's, every single gal is perfect !!!! Do you have more ? I would love to see.

This was from the 50th Anniversary of the Golden Gate International Exposition of 39-40 (often erroneously called the treasure island World's Fair), held in 1990. It was so fun!

The Art Deco Society of California has been having big floor show numbers with bathing beauties for ages (I am the original one, my biggest claim to fame). I am always surprised that other Societies around the world don't do this! It is a great way to perk up a party, and sex always sells, so the newspapers like to print the pictures...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
ShooShooBaby said:
just thought i'd give a heads-up that the EW 2-piece in a pink hawaiian print, size 16, is on sale for $55 at mybabyjo.com!

pinkfantasy2pc_th.jpg

Great suit, I have the same one in green, but hate that you can't order the bottoms and tops separately. I need a larger size bottom, but would be swimming in the top if I ordered a larger size.

Also, this suit that's for sale is only available in size 16.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
KittyT said:
Great suit, I have the same one in green, but hate that you can't order the bottoms and tops separately. I need a larger size bottom, but would be swimming in the top if I ordered a larger size.

Also, this suit that's for sale is only available in size 16.

I so hate that, I mean how many of us are a standard size? I can't understand why companies do that. I mean you don't have to buy your bra and knickers together in the same size do you, so why don't they apply this to something that other people are gonna actually see????:mad:

All that said it is a lovely suit.....:)

lyburnum

Practically Family
I love love love this bathing suit from La Senza. Once I have a little more money behind me I'm hoping to get it, if they still have my size. It's only £20.

lasenza.jpg

Some others from Fig Leaves that were way out of my price range (£70+)

r565723-p565770-style.jpg
r579766-p579787-front.jpg

r582770-p582778-front.jpg
r582783-p582794-front.jpg

r587229-p587237-front.jpg
r571360-p571871-style.jpg

r571360-p574955-front.jpg

A nautical swimsuit from Topshop, though not as nice as the others

Picture2-1.png

sixsexsix

Practically Family
the local higher-end vintage shop was having a 75% off sale today so i picked up some new swimsuits for me and the boy (yes, i made him put them on so i could take a picture haha)
e17c81c9.jpg

87ce3853.jpg

...now i have a question, the boobs in my swimsuit are kind of weird and hard/flat and i don't seem to fill them out properly, even though it is my bra size. it has a built in bra, which is what is causing the problem. is there anything that can be done to fix this??? i tried padding it but that didn't seem to work. the bra is actually sewn in so i am not sure how much it can be taken out/replaced. sorry this is kind of a closeup boob shot, but i think it best demonstrates what i am talking about:
47f9f5de.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
sixsexsix said:
...now i have a question, the boobs in my swimsuit are kind of weird and hard/flat and i don't seem to fill them out properly, even though it is my bra size. it has a built in bra, which is what is causing the problem. is there anything that can be done to fix this??? i tried padding it but that didn't seem to work. the bra is actually sewn in so i am not sure how much it can be taken out/replaced.

Do they have boning at all? I have a vintage swimsuit that had vertical boning on the front of the cup and I just didn't fill it out, even though the bust size of this swimsuit is a size smaller than I am. Cutting the boning out of the built-in bra worked wonders for the fit!

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Unfortunately there isn't actually boning, it's a thick webbed material that is not really pliable. I am afraid if I cut the whole thing out completely there will be no support for 'the girls'

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
sixsexsix said:
Unfortunately there isn't actually boning, it's a thick webbed material that is not really pliable. I am afraid if I cut the whole thing out completely there will be no support for 'the girls'

Well you can buy sew-in bra cups at the fabric store. Maybe try cutting out what's there and sewing in new cups by hand?

sixsexsix

Practically Family
good idea! or maybe just sewing them in in front of the built-in bra, so there is still the support but no flatness

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
sss,

i have a 60s bathing suit that the cups were hard and starting to fall apart, so i just cut them out completely, cut up an old underwire bra i had laying around, and sewed the front in. it actually worked really well, and it cost $0.

Maja

New in Town
Esther Williams suits

Hi
I have set my heart on the leopard print bathing suit, but I am having trouble buying it from the EW website due to the fact that I live in Denmark and my address apparently cannot be typed correctly on the form to match the address on my visa, so I was wondering is there anyothe webshops that sells this besides mybabyjo.com - they do not have my size availeble.

Thank you:)

sixsexsix

Practically Family
http://www.retrodress.com/otherstuffsix.html

Maja said:
Hi
I have set my heart on the leopard print bathing suit, but I am having trouble buying it from the EW website due to the fact that I live in Denmark and my address apparently cannot be typed correctly on the form to match the address on my visa, so I was wondering is there anyothe webshops that sells this besides mybabyjo.com - they do not have my size availeble.

Thank you:)

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
I just received my Triumph Doreen Bra in the mail today and this ad was included in the package.......I think their beautiful!

TriumphSwimwear.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss 1929 said:
Oh, that is the prettiest bathing suit! I want it! And the figure to go with.
It's Norma Kamali, so probably pretty pricey...

Yeah, like $300 or so expensive! It's very similar to one at Victoria's Secret that's on sale for $117.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred