Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bathing Suits

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
magpie, that's a great photo! thanks for sharing it :)

i bought a book at Powell's the other day that's about the history of the bathing suit, and it has lots of photos and ads. the name of the book is "Making Waves: Swimsuits & the Undressing of America" but it looks like it might be out of print. i haven't looked at it much yet, but if i see anything that's super-cool i'll scan it and post it!

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
Has anybody seen the Stop Staring swim suit that they are selling at Daddyo's. I was just wondering about how it fits, it is very cute and so are some of the play suits/sailor type outfits they have.
I've been very curious about the tiger print swimsuit for quite a while...many places have a leopard print suit available, but this is the only tiger print I've seen. But I can't find information about the fabric content.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Laughing Magpie, I love that photo!

There's another very nice book called Hollywood Poolside with some great photos of the stars (and other bathing beauties), from the 1920s-1950s. I saw it not too long ago in softcover now, so I think it is still in print.

Mojito

One Too Many
I just won this item and am so thrilled - I've let Kellerman swimsuits go in the past because I already have a Bradley Knitwear costume and a girl only needs so many woollen swimming togs. Have always regretted not getting them, as Kellerman is one of my personal heroes - challenging restrictive women's bathing attire from the Edwardian age onwards. We have a collection related to her career at the museum where I work, and have staged exhibitions on her life and times.

I've often thought of Annette when I've dived into the surf!
Kellermanlabel.jpg

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
For anyone who might be interested...

I found this book by accident on Amazon not too long ago:
1888054778.jpg

I'm in love! It's not a "history of the bathing suit" kind of book, but rather a photographic reference to what the starlets wore. It's super cheap on Amazon right now too!! And you can see some of the inside of the book before ordering.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunkissed-Hol...577665?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174492400&sr=1-19

And a question. Kind of :eek:fftopic:
I have my bathing suit already. I made it from this old pattern:
Mccall6848.jpg
I made it out of a really great cherry print on navy blue fabric (I'll post pics of it later). I have my matching red beach bag and a great Panama Jack large brimmed straw hat with navy blue ribbon. (I'm a nut for color coordinating!)

But what sort of shoes for the boardwalk? I found these from Remix and I love them, but I don't want to spend the money on them right now... maybe in the future.
http://www.remixvintageshoes.com/darared.html
http://www.remixvintageshoes.com/corazonrd.html

I'm not sure that I'd want to wear espadrilles, and heels just seem silly to me. Wedgies and sandles seem most appropriate. Does anyone have suggestions?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Cherry_Bombb said:
I'm not sure that I'd want to wear espadrilles, and heels just seem silly to me. Wedgies and sandles seem most appropriate. Does anyone have suggestions?

yep. try Salt Water sandles. they definitely have an old-fashioned vibe and you can wear them in the water.

MB5B81CF11055537016-7210

just do a search for "salt water sandals" on Google and you'll find plenty!

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
For anyone who might be interested...

I found this book by accident on Amazon not too long ago:

I'm in love! It's not a "history of the bathing suit" kind of book, but rather a photographic reference to what the starlets wore. It's super cheap on Amazon right now too!! And you can see some of the inside of the book before ordering.

Thanks for mentioning that book Cherry_Bombb! Mine should be here Monday...:) I noticed Amazon also has Hollywood Poolside.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
KittyT- Thank you! I'm on my way to google it! They're so cute!

Decobelle said:
Thanks for mentioning that book Cherry_Bombb! Mine should be here Monday...:) I noticed Amazon also has Hollywood Poolside.

I'm on my way to go get Hollywood Poolside in a little bit myself! I can't resist! I have a small collection of vintage beach related objects!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Cherry_Bombb said:
KittyT- Thank you! I'm on my way to google it! They're so cute!

yeah, they are and they're very well made and sturdy. my last pair lasted me about 3 years of very frequent summer wear. in addition, they've been around for 60 years and are still using all american leather and components, and american labor as well!

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
That makes them even more desireable to me!! I think I'm going to get a pair of red and a pair of the navy! Thank you so much! These are perfect!!

KittyT said:
yeah, they are and they're very well made and sturdy. my last pair lasted me about 3 years of very frequent summer wear. in addition, they've been around for 60 years and are still using all american leather and components, and american labor as well!

olive bleu

One Too Many
oh my Gosh! These suits are killing me!! I hate to admit it, but the last time, i bought a swimsuit was when i was working at a summer camp 15 years ago!!. It is very plain, athletic,and ugly!! I really don't feel comfortable in a swimsuit, because they are either too skimpy( at the big 4-0 , I have more "jiggly bits" to cover up), or make me look too frumpy.

These are GORGEOUS.They are classic,beautiful, feminine,and i would feel very comfortable & glamourous. WE take a "sea-side" vacation every summer with my husbands brother and his wife. last year, i did not swim, because i just didn't bother to pack that ugly suit....not this year, baby!!Momma'a goin' shoppin'!:D

olive bleu

One Too Many
swim40.jpg

I just saw this in someone's personal collection online, apparently it once belonged to June Allyson.I want it.That is EXACTLY what i want!!( WHAAA!)

ITG

Call Me a Cab
On the SUNKISSED book: A few years back I picked up some new copies at Half Price Books for $9.99. I highly recommend it...great photos of some vintage style swimwear.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
olive bleu said:
swim40.jpg

I just saw this in someone's personal collection online, apparently it once belonged to June Allyson.I want it.That is EXACTLY what i want!!( WHAAA!)

I agree!! That is the prettiest swimdress I have ever seen!

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
exquisitebones said:
i am so in love with this suit it hurts :( :(
i cant even tell you how bad i want this exact suit :eek:

Isn't it cute? I used to feature it in vintage bathing suit fashion shows, but never got to wear it myself - I let the other volunteer models have their pick, and you can bet this one was always chosen first (I usually ended up wearing a 20s wool one myself, as none of the girls ever picked that one).

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks so much for the book recommendation ITG, I'm gonna order myself one. It looks like a great book to add to my vintage style book collection that I've been trying to start.

Decobelle that suit is amazing. I sure wish I could find one like that. One can just picture some Hollywood starlet lounging around the Beverly Hills Hilton with some exotic drink and very high heels, hair all done up and the best shade of red lipstick.
I was at a vintage shop last week and found a one piece suit from what looked like the 40's. It was gold with a sweetheart neckline and diagonal ruching across the waist line. The perfect spot to cover up my tummy. But alas, it was too small. I managed to hide it in the very back corner of the warehouse. A place where I put things that I really really want but need to lose a few pounds first. Hopefully in a few months it will fit, and still be hiding out in my corner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes