Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Boat!

Mojito

One Too Many
I'd love to visit and dive some of these Great Lakes shipwrecks - I've only ever dived ocean shipwrecks, and I understand that the Great Lakes experience, particularly due to the state of preservation of some of the wrecks, is quite different.

Mystery wrecks are interesting, even if they have been stripped. We have one off the next beach along the coast from where I live. It seems to be a barge with the remains of a fibreglass yacht, but no one is quite sure what the story is behind how it wound up where it is. The wreck in the link above is of a much more intriguing type!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There area many many shipwrecks in the Great Lakes. For their size, they are amazingly treacherous bodies of water. There have been several excellent documentaries on Great lakes shipwrecks, including the famous Edmund Fitzgerald. Supposedly there is a treasure of gold bullion sitting at the bottom of the Dunkirk, NY harbor, that because of treacherous currents is inaccessible.
The Great Lakes steamers represented a fascinating era in maritime history, also. With the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway in 1959, they all became obsolete. There are only a few rotting hulks left, and the last Great Lakes passenger steamer, the Canadaway, dissolved about 15 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou