Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage British 2-piece Suit, 38-40R

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
This is a BOLD vintage suit made in Britain by Alexandre of Oxford St, London, in a lovely deep blue flannel. It's a two-button, notch-lapel jacket with three patch pockets, unvented with a full lining and two interior pockets. The sleeves each have three buttons with faux (nonfunctional) buttonholes The trousers are full-cut with a Hollywood waist (no waistband, dropped belt loops), pleated front and cuffs.

This suit seems to be from around the early '50s. It has a number of earlier styling details (the shape of the lapels especially) that make it look more like a '30s or '40s suit, but the Hollywood waist seems to indicate a slightly later date. At any rate, this is one fantastic vintage suit in an unusual color with the classic Golden Era cut--high armholes, nipped waist, high rise trousers that are full cut.

Here's the best part: the suit is in GREAT condition. No moth damage whatsoever that I can find; no smells or stains or rips or tears or anything. The only issue is some wear to the nap of the fabric (the fuzz) at the very ends of the sleeves and trouser cuffs. Not noticeable at all.

Size is probably around a 38R, though it might work for someone who takes a 39-40R. Measurements are as follows:
Jacket:
Chest: 44"
Waist: 38"
Shoulders: 18.75"
Sleeves: 24.75" with approximately 2" to lengthen
Length from bottom of collar: 31"

Trousers:
Waist: 31" with nothing to let out
Outseam: 42.5"
Inseam: 31" with about 3/4" to let down
Rise: 11.5"
Knee circumference: 24"
Cuff circumference: 19"

I'm asking $75 shipped in the continental US. I'll ship elsewhere, but it'll cost extra. Paypal greatly preferred; PM me if you're interested.

DSCF5381.jpg

DSCF5385.jpg

DSCF5386.jpg

DSCF5390.jpg

DSCF5393.jpg

DSCF5395.jpg

DSCF5399.jpg

DSCF5396.jpg

DSCF5397.jpg

DSCF5398.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
*sigh* Orgetorix, you're always selling such great things... but all the men in my life need ridiculously long trousers! This'd fit my 18-year-old brother like a glove, except that the trousers would look cropped. :eek:

Sunny

One Too Many
Oh, they're out there, all right. Just usually special order. My mother gets his khakis and dress slacks from Land's End, unhemmed and I think at 39". He's only 6'8". Quite tall, yes, but basketball players are far taller than that. Non-trendy jeans are easier to find than slacks; rangy Texas boys aren't terribly unusual, so there's a demand. It was really hard when his waist was too small for men's sizes. 28x36 jeans? That's impossible.

Then there was my great-grandfather, who graduated from West Point in the late 20s. He was around 6'6". I would love to know what he did.

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Sunny said:
He's only 6'8". Quite tall, yes, but basketball players are far taller than that.
Only?!

As for the basketball part, he's pretty ideal for playing a forward professionally and much larger than a guard. Did he ever play?

Sunny

One Too Many
B. F. Socaspi said:
Only?!

As for the basketball part, he's pretty ideal for playing a forward professionally and much larger than a guard. Did he ever play?
:D My other two brothers are about 6'2". That really isn't tall to me, though it's not short. My dad is also 6'8"; he played in high school. My brother played with the YMCA into high school, usually center. He got pretty good, but it just wasn't what he wanted to spend most of his time on. He's still pretty mean in pickup games, though. It took him a long time to learn aggressiveness - he's a sweet-natured kind of guy - but he can be pretty dominating now.

I'm amazed no-one has taken this yet. [huh] It has many of the features of the standard early 1950s british suit, but some that are quite unexpected, which is nice. Wrong time of year i guess [huh]

The measurements are remarkable also. 13" measured drop from chest to waist, and gigantic shoulders for the waist size. I'd like to see the Adonis who owned this suit.

bk

mike

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
The measurements are remarkable also. 13" measured drop from chest to waist, and gigantic shoulders for the waist size. I'd like to see the Adonis who owned this suit.

bk

I think that's the issue! I definitely ain't he lol

dchandler2

New in Town
Nice suit

Nice suit. is it still available?

Orgetorix said:
This is a BOLD vintage suit made in Britain by Alexandre of Oxford St, London, in a lovely deep blue flannel. It's a two-button, notch-lapel jacket with three patch pockets, unvented with a full lining and two interior pockets. The sleeves each have three buttons with faux (nonfunctional) buttonholes The trousers are full-cut with a Hollywood waist (no waistband, dropped belt loops), pleated front and cuffs.

This suit seems to be from around the early '50s. It has a number of earlier styling details (the shape of the lapels especially) that make it look more like a '30s or '40s suit, but the Hollywood waist seems to indicate a slightly later date. At any rate, this is one fantastic vintage suit in an unusual color with the classic Golden Era cut--high armholes, nipped waist, high rise trousers that are full cut.

Here's the best part: the suit is in GREAT condition. No moth damage whatsoever that I can find; no smells or stains or rips or tears or anything. The only issue is some wear to the nap of the fabric (the fuzz) at the very ends of the sleeves and trouser cuffs. Not noticeable at all.

Size is probably around a 38R, though it might work for someone who takes a 39-40R. Measurements are as follows:
Jacket:
Chest: 44"
Waist: 38"
Shoulders: 18.75"
Sleeves: 24.75" with approximately 2" to lengthen
Length from bottom of collar: 31"

Trousers:
Waist: 31" with nothing to let out
Outseam: 42.5"
Inseam: 31" with about 3/4" to let down
Rise: 11.5"
Knee circumference: 24"
Cuff circumference: 19"

I'm asking $75 shipped in the continental US. I'll ship elsewhere, but it'll cost extra. Paypal greatly preferred; PM me if you're interested.

DSCF5381.jpg

DSCF5385.jpg

DSCF5386.jpg

DSCF5390.jpg

DSCF5393.jpg

DSCF5395.jpg

DSCF5399.jpg

DSCF5396.jpg

DSCF5397.jpg

DSCF5398.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads