Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Cal - It's changing my outlook on things

Leather Walker

Practically Family
Hearing how their fit can be difficult, I think I got pretty lucky in my first foray into Cals. Shoutout to @Leather Walker for the heads up. I was able to snag an unlabeled one for a good price, no measurements, just Medium in the description. Seller did not know he had a Cal, or he would have asked a couple hundred more. I thought that if it does not fit I will just flip it or pass it on, whatever. It came in weighing 6.5lbs, by far my heaviest jacket. Original mouton collar included. It is a pleasure to slip on, and weight distribution feels great. The hide is thick, you feel ensconced in it - makes me wish I rode. As it is, this jacket will work best for me when it it is 50F or below, with a sweater or a hoodie underneath, the leather protecting from fall/winter winds. The zips are all Talon, all original, all working. Belt loops have been removed, which is fine with me. Looks like a 60s or early 70s jacket, but invite Cal experts to opine on its age. I hope I can rock it, don't want to come across as a poseur or a fake "wise guy".

View attachment 375660

View attachment 375661

View attachment 375662
View attachment 375664
View attachment 375666

View attachment 375667

View attachment 375668

View attachment 375669

Absolutely amazing jacket, Will! I don't feel anything but joy to see Cal jackets which find happy owners who will wear them proudly :) Fit pictures are really cool. you feel ensconced in it Completely agree with you, I feel embraced by the jacket. You will totally rock it!!

Leather Walker

Practically Family
Temperature has dropped, winter is kicking in here. Time to get then cal collar out.

5XEqFmR.jpg

iDKr0js.jpg

KACX8ng.jpg
Leigh, what a jacket! I think it's time to search & find a brown Cal like yours, and if this comes with fur collar, much better!:D Your other Cal with the little front pocket is amazing too.
Thanks it’s one of my favourites to wear, it was beat to hell when I bought it. I later discovered its dated late 50s from the side zippers, it has no Cal label inside, I’m not sure if it’s a cal or a star glove.
I used to check the cuffs to distinguish Star Glove and Cal-Leather (buttoned or zippered), but I realized there are a range of details to difference them: snaps, lapels shape, stitching on waist-band... of course zippers (if they survive) and type of leather used.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
I was wondering if anyone of the resident Cal experts could help me date a Cal Cross zip LAPD? It has Serval zippers on the front and sleeves and small round circle ring zipper pulls on the pockets unbranded. It has belt loops and side laces , no action back or gusset except in the side lace panel. Hopefully will have some pictures soon. Thanks

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Here are some pictures of the zippers on a Cal I’m trying to date (request above). If anyone could give me a date or decade or even a guess. So here are the pictures of the zippers. Thanks a lot.
Front Zip
084A1040-C9D4-4CAB-B96B-18EED3B0EB79.jpeg
B087295E-94A4-4C50-B37B-E5C1A17AF3B1.jpeg
Sleeve Zip
ABCE0F06-C239-436B-BE41-3D77C020D028.jpeg
Pocket ring pull zip
F15D5E62-B3C1-424F-A7EF-9235406E6E49.jpeg

Last edited:

Leather Walker

Practically Family
Here are some picks of the zippers on a Cal I’m trying to date (request above). If anyone could give me a date or decade or even a guess. So here are the pictures of the zippers. Thanks a lot.
Front Zip
View attachment 377428 View attachment 377429 Sleeve Zip
View attachment 377430 Pocket ring pull zip
View attachment 377431
Is it possible to see the jacket? Front, back and a shot of inside the inner pocket. It's common to find the size and a letter in red, blue pen...
Serval zippers was a company that closed in 1973, but its hardware is found in jackets made throughout the whole 70s, even early 80s.

Leather Walker

Practically Family
Beautiful Cal in pristine condition! No epaulettes nor gussets, which are more of 1960s features. This jacket reminds me of my non-padded Cal, with ring pulls at pockets, Serval at front but Talon at cuffs. It doesn't have gussets, either. And judging by the hide of your Cal, I'll bet the touch feeling is the same as in mine.
1636581440809.jpg

Leather Walker

Practically Family
So are you saying 1950’s ?
I'd say it was made in 60s, IMO. As an example, belt loops of 50s Cals usually have a rounded tip around the snap, not squared. I don't know the concrete time when the company made these kinds of changes in their patterns, we may assume all of them happen over the time subtly.

Oh my! Yes, another level. What is the story on this One?

Gotta be 30s, early 40s. I’ve never been able to find much on SG. I’ve tried. Maybe @jonbuilder has some more info- he has a bunch of SG and is my jacket hero lol.

Late 40s/50s and onward Cal focused on LAPDs and straight zip CHPs for police. Too bad really. This jacket is a stunner. Cal does do a modern repro. It’ll only set you back $3,000. Not for mere plebs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner