Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage caps

The story about Buck resonnated strong with me also. A lot of enjoyable reading was spent as a kid going on adventures thru the library. Can you imaine they let you check out any book and lots of them!
That was around the time the little town I grew up in got it's first ever public library. I was so taken in by "The Call of the Wild" that I wrote to the state of Alaska & asked for a state map, which was up on my bedroom wall for yrs. I ended up reading most of the Jack London novels but none effected me as much as that first one!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Blackthorn, I'll never forget reading "The Call of the Wild" for the first time when I was about 10 yrs old. As a young boy I had never had a book pull me in before like that one did.
Oddly enough I had never read anything by him until 3 years ago, and then I discovered his short stories. He was a phenomenal writer. I love his far north stories, but also the ones about Hawaii and his adventures in the Fish Patrol in the bay area of CA. I have also read (and loved) his book about his days as a tramp, and John Barleycorn, "memoir of an alcoholic." I think Barleycorn was maybe his best writing. I have worn out the paperback and just recently got a hardback. He sure did a lot in his short 40 years on this earth.

Reactions: RJR
He was a phenomenal writer. I love his far north stories...
It probably couldn't happen today that "The Call of the Wild" would have such an effect on a 10 yr old boy. The world has moved on. But for me it was the perfect time to be reading it (Alaska was a fairly new state & the last of a wild frontier), I had a bad case of wanderlust (growing up in a small town) & I was just discovering books for the first time. Reading it was definitely a rite of passage for me.

Child laborers at the Dallas Mill, Huntsville, AL.
image.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points