Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage caps

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Strolling the deck of Titanic before it sailed:
top-deck-titanic-P.jpeg

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
from Shorpy: January 1943. "Freight train operations on the Chicago & North Western Railroad between Chicago and Clinton, Iowa. At the end of the trip, conductor John Wolfsmith [last seen here] waits at the little railroad station for a suburban train to take him back home to Chicago. A welder who works at the rip tracks is trying to thaw out his frozen air hose."

SHORPY_8d24470a-2.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Despite any apprehensions you might have about wearing a flat cap, please post at least one photo of you wearing it.
The cap needs some working on, I would prefer the peak to be more forward, I need some advice from a milliner before trying anything though. The shirt is just to give an idea of the finished look, I have an authentic, three button shirt that you put on like a pullover. My missus was struck by the family likeness from the old photo above.
flatcap 003.JPG

The cap needs some working on, I would prefer the peak to be more forward, I need some advice from a milliner before trying anything though. The shirt is just to give an idea of the finished look, I have an authentic, three button shirt that you put on like a pullover. My missus was struck by the family likeness from the old photo above.
Oh, I saw the resemblance between the Gentleman on the left (who I assume is your Grandfather), your father, and you, as soon as I saw the photo.

plOMNZS.jpg

Wonderful! I took the liberty of performing some "quick and dirty" Photoshopping to correct the perspective and complete the border on the first photo you posted, and to make your recent photo more of a visual match; I hope you don't mind, but if you do let me know and I'll remove it.

Regarding your new flat cap, I think it looks very good on you, and you in it; Miss Tina chose wisely! Flat caps are a nice casual alternative to fur felt hats. I have five myself, and find the ones made from Pendleton wool keep my head warmer than any of my fur felt hats.

Flat caps and flying caps.

9cl1AE8.jpg

And the accompanying text:

"Dec. 14, 1920: Stunt pilot Frank Clarke flies an aircraft off the 10-story Railway Building in downtown Los Angeles during filming for the movie 'Stranger Than Fiction'. The Los Angeles Times reported the next day: Frank Clark (later Clarke), 22-year-old stunt aviator, yesterday flew off the 10-story Los Angeles Railway Building at 11th Street and Broadway.

Clark’s plane, a J.N. 4 Curtiss, equipped with a L-4 Liberty motor developing 150 horsepower, with a wingspan of 43 feet, larger than any biplane that ever hopped off a battleship’s deck. The intrepid aviator had his plane going about 90 miles an hour when it left the edge of the roof. The stunt was filmed for the Katherine MacDonald Pictures Corp. released in 1921 as 'Stranger Than Fiction'.

Clarke went on to a career as a stunt pilot and actor in several Hollywood movies. Clarke was the chief pilot for the 1930 film 'Hell’s Angels' by director Howard Hughes. He died in a non-job-related plane accident in 1948.

Los Angeles Times staff photographer George Watson took these three images."

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Flat caps and flying caps.

9cl1AE8.jpg

And the accompanying text:

"Dec. 14, 1920: Stunt pilot Frank Clarke flies an aircraft off the 10-story Railway Building in downtown Los Angeles during filming for the movie 'Stranger Than Fiction'. The Los Angeles Times reported the next day: Frank Clark (later Clarke), 22-year-old stunt aviator, yesterday flew off the 10-story Los Angeles Railway Building at 11th Street and Broadway.

Clark’s plane, a J.N. 4 Curtiss, equipped with a L-4 Liberty motor developing 150 horsepower, with a wingspan of 43 feet, larger than any biplane that ever hopped off a battleship’s deck. The intrepid aviator had his plane going about 90 miles an hour when it left the edge of the roof. The stunt was filmed for the Katherine MacDonald Pictures Corp. released in 1921 as 'Stranger Than Fiction'.

Clarke went on to a career as a stunt pilot and actor in several Hollywood movies. Clarke was the chief pilot for the 1930 film 'Hell’s Angels' by director Howard Hughes. He died in a non-job-related plane accident in 1948.

Los Angeles Times staff photographer George Watson took these three images."
Great pic, Zombie!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Regarding your new flat cap, I think it looks very good on you, and you in it; Miss Tina chose wisely! Flat caps are a nice casual alternative to fur felt hats. I have five myself, and find the ones made from Pendleton wool keep my head warmer than any of my fur felt hats.
Amazing photoshop, grateful thanks. It certainly helps me connect with my grandfather. His wife, my grandmother, spoilt me rotten, seeing the resemblance to her husband makes me realise how much I must have reminded her of him. i'm truly touched.
You've given me an idea. My sister might still have the negative of that photo, if so, I am going to ask a photographer friend to do something similar to your picture, I'll wait though, until the next time I speak to my sister. Thanks again.

Amazing photoshop, grateful thanks. It certainly helps me connect with my grandfather. His wife, my grandmother, spoilt me rotten, seeing the resemblance to her husband makes me realise how much I must have reminded her of him. i'm truly touched.
You've given me an idea. My sister might still have the negative of that photo, if so, I am going to ask a photographer friend to do something similar to your picture, I'll wait though, until the next time I speak to my sister. Thanks again.
You're very welcome Sir, I'm pleased you like it. Initially I thought only to place the two photos side-by-side to make it easier for anyone reading this thread to do their own comparison, but with one being black-and-white and the other color it didn't quite have the desired effect. So I tinkered a bit, and what you see is what I got. I'm sure a professional photographer would do a much better job of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner