1. Lounge Update headed your way. Check the thread in the Observation Bar. If you don't like the light style, click the light bulb at the top-right of your screen.

vintage caps

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Metatron, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Blackthorn

Blackthorn My Mail is Forwarded Here

New Zealand circa 1920. "Young men on motorcycles, probably Wanganui region."

SHORPY_FL16800454.jpg

2. Hurricane Jack

Hurricane Jack I'll Lock Up

Me.

IMG_5665.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

3. 1mach1

1mach1

Zombie_61 and Hurricane Jack like this.
  4. Hurricane Jack

Thanks Harv. I'm looking for a pic taken when I was about 10 yrs old of me wearing a cowboy hat & playing an old May Bell parlor sized guitar outside under a shade tree where we lived. It was a black hat with white brim lacing. Don't know whatever happened to that hat but I still have the guitar, all split & in sad shape.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  5. Hurricane Jack

6. Blackthorn

April 26, 1923. "Opening game." Washington's first game of the season at Griffith Stadium, where President Harding tossed out the ball and the Nats bested Philadelphia 2-1

SHORPY_08315u.jpg

7. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Thanks!! :)

Blackthorn likes this.
  8. Blackthorn

Washington, D.C., circa 1922.

Attached Files:

Trenchfriend, M Hatman and Bamaboots like this.
  9. Blackthorn

November 11, 1922. Washington, D.C. "Still." Back-alley Mason jar hooch in the early years of Prohibition.

SHORPY-23509u.jpg

Trenchfriend, RJR, Zombie_61 and 2 others like this.
  10. Blackthorn

January 1939. "Small truck farmer from North Carolina. His neck was broken and is in a brace. Near Belle Glade, Florida."

SHORPY-8c30157a1.jpg

11. Blackthorn

SHORPY-8b38308u.jpg

M Hatman, Zombie_61 and Bamaboots like this.
  12. Blackthorn

The flushing of streets by sprinkler trucks was a widespread if not terribly effective public-health measure during the "Spanish influenza" epidemic of the late teens.San Francisco circa 1919. "Nash Two-Ton Tanker Truck." This begins a new series of photos, scanned by Shorpy from large-format negatives taken by or for Christopher Helin, travel and automotive editor of the San Francisco Examiner

SHORPY-GN-Nash-2.jpg

Zombie_61, M Hatman, RJR and 2 others like this.
  13. Blackthorn

SHORPY-141021-0001A-2.jpg

14. Hurricane Jack

^^^The F-17 came a long ways in less than a hundred yrs.

[​IMG]

Blackthorn and Bamaboots like this.
  15. Blackthorn

Black River Falls (vicinity), Wisconsin. April-June 1937. Photographs show families who live on small farms in cut-over areas. Dilapidated log cabins and shacks; interior details. Poor families; Bohemian farm families.June 1937. "Ray Allen family near Black River Falls, Wisconsin."

SHORPY-8b38873a1.jpg

16. Hurricane Jack

When I was very young I had a great aunt who lived alone in a shack that was originally made from wood shipping cartons from the RR. It had a dirt floor that had been treated with linseed oil which made it like concrete. She would sweep it with a broom. She was widowed at a young age & was my grandpa's sister, so we would stop by frequently to check on her & help her out.

M Hatman and Blackthorn like this.
  17. Blackthorn

I came from folks like the one in the picture. My dad was born in a "half dugout," a hole in the ground that was roofed over by whatever they could find. He was the seventh of eight kids, all itinerant farmworkers in the cotton fields of west Texas, 1921. Even after we moved to CA when I was a kid, I wore overalls like that until I was in second grade. I thought I had really arrived when I got real pants.

18. Blackthorn

What a difference in affluence, from yesterday's picture. What a difference a thousand miles makes, on the same continent:

San Francisco, 1922. "Official Red Cross car." Being loaded with sacks of something outside the premises of Rex Products Co., Jobbers.

SHORPY-181-01.jpg

19. Hurricane Jack

This is a real dugout that some of Quantrill's men would winter over in on what was then the Morgan Walker farm. It was allowed to be used in the 1994 movie, "Ride With the Devil". Today the property is part of a wildlife preserve, the dugout is off limits & most people don't even know it's there.

[​IMG]

20. RJR

RJR

Interesting.