Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage car observation.

Wild Root

Gone Home
1936-3.jpg

I see what you mean! Very interesting, but beautiful! To bad it's such a rare car.

I like the shark nosed Grahams my self. I find them to be very lovely cars. To each his own. I for some reason don't care for the Hollywood's grill design. It's a really neat car other then the grill. Yes, the earlier Cords are harder to keep running but I like the 1936 Cord body and front grill design better!

1936%20Cord%20810%20Westchester%20sedan.jpg

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Old Fogey UK said:
The blue car in the photo behind the Graham is, I think, a late 30's Lincoln Zephyr V-12 sedan.

The Lincoln Zephyr is a very nice car! But, sorry that's incorrect! It is a1946-48 Plymouth P-15.

Thanks for playing! And as for a parting gift for our contestants, a photo of a 1939 Lincoln Zephyr!

39Zephyr01-or.jpg

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
Now I'm really gonna bore you.
The facelift of the Cord front end for Graham was done by an industrial designer called John Tjaarda who also designed the 36 Lincoln Zephyr which I confused with a Plymouth.
Graham/Hupmobile paid him just $150 for his work. Times must have been hard in 1940.

Wild Root

Gone Home
You, boring? Hahahahah, that's hot! I'm the one who bores the living life out of threads! :p

Yes, 1940 and their last year 1941 were very hard years for Graham and Hupmobile! They sold ridiculously low numbers in 1939 and 1940. Don't know why they sold so few to keep production charging. It's too bad, I would have loved to see what designs they would have come out with after WWII.

Don't feel bad about mistaking a Plymouth for a Zephyr! Fact is, Chrysler were making some really smooth body styles before and after WWII. Most of their bodies for Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge and Plymouth were very much like the late 30's bodies into 1946. I just know because I own a 46 P-15 and I am very familiar with all it's little details. Once you own a P-15, you could pick one out from outer space! :p

There is some very refined taste on in this thread! High priced dream machines are wonderful and I love them to death, but give me a Plymouth over a Duesenberg any day.;)

=WR=

Wild Root said:
There is some very refined taste on in this thread! High priced dream machines are wonderful and I love them to death, but give me a Plymouth over a Duesenberg any day.;)

Your wish is granted. You have a Plymouth and will never have a Duesenberg. Your one wish has been used up. :p ;)

Regards to all,

J

P.S. I took the Duesenberg you didn't wish for. :p

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
Those early 30's Hudson 8's really were affordable queens of the highway, having the best power to weight ratio of any production car in their era yet being less expensive than a contemporary Buick.
Dillinger knew a good thing when he saw one, owning a 33 or 34 Hudson 8 was a status symbol with his gang. Even Baby Face Nelson got in on the act - he bled to death in a 34 Hudson sedan that he stole from the FBI after gunning down the two G-men inside it.
Even though they're rare cars now, they don't command the high prices of 33 and 34 Fords.

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
Hey, Wildroot !
There WAS a post WW2 Graham - the 46 Kaiser Frazer. They were originally going to market it as a "Graham Paige Product". The GP Company was still going until at least a few years ago and may still be but they didn't make anything to do with cars.
(So you see, my transatlantic friend, you can't out-bore me, I can bore for Britain !)
I've enjoyed tonight's little natter about cars, thanks a lot !
David.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dear chaps- Since it seems a bunch here that seem to really like old cars try this place www.webshots.com for a free download of a screensaver/wallpaper/slide show capable program. I've used it for years and it does a great job of categorizing and arranging all your photos of any subject.

And here is a place where you can find massive amounts of superb old car pics www.usenetbinaries.com/ It's free to a certain amount but quite sufficient to download just the pics you want.

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
Wild Root said:
Oh, that's right huh!

Well, as long as we're on cars, I'll never tire of that topic!

Cheers mate!

=WR=

PS. I like your avatar! Very sharp!

The Avatar is Paul Muni in "Scarface". My Dad was a teenager in the 1930's and Muni was his favorite gangster star.
My Holy Grail is a fedora like Muni's. I ever live in hope.....

The Kaiser Manhattan has got to be the ugliest car I have ever seen. Believe me I know my father had one. It was ugly and one slow brick of a car. He changed out the engine with a 56 chevy crate motor and put a supercharger on it. That turned it from a brick to a rocket. It could really perform then. :jeep:

Regards to all,

J

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
The Kaiser Manhattan has got to be the ugliest car I have ever seen. Believe me I know my father had one. It was ugly and one slow brick of a car. He changed out the engine with a 56 chevy crate motor and put a supercharger on it. That turned it from a brick to a rocket. It could really perform then. :jeep:

Regards to all,

J

The Manhattan ugly ? I'll drink to that !

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hahahahah, yes, it's not very easy on the eyes that car or others of the same make! However, some of the late 40's ones were some what ok with that really unique "Widow?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Peak" windshield!

But, yes, it's an ugly duckling of a car.

=WR=

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
Wild Root said:
Hahahahah, yes, it's not very easy on the eyes that car or others of the same make! However, some of the late 40's ones were some what ok with that really unique "Widow?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Peak" windshield!

But, yes, it's an ugly duckling of a car.

=WR=

A friend of mine over here has just taken 2 years to sell a 51 Kaiser and got 50% less than he'd put into it.

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
This is a very interesting thread! I don't get to surf nearly as much as I used to.

I fit outside of this thread's criteria, with a '67 International Scout. My trailer is a '50 Willy truck bed. :rolleyes: Some of the technical problems sound all too familiar, though.

Unsyncro manual;
To avoid gear grinding, shift into 2nd before shifting into 1st or reverse. This allows the gears to sync up.

Dim lights;
Does the light system wiring start at the battery, go through the ignition system and then to the headlights? Add a solenoid set-up that uses the existing wiring to actuate the solenoids but shortens the headlight wiring harness. Easy to conceal if you want to maintain a stock look, too. Also, use larger diameter wiring.

Lights not working;
Check the grounds. Check the grounds. Check the grounds.

Now, let's talk vacuum wipers at -20 degrees...

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters