Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

cw3pa

A-List Customer
My Dad owned a '54 Studebaker. Similar to the one pictured below. I remember it having a manual transmission (three on the tree) and a button on the shift lever to ingage the overdrive.

cw3pa

A-List Customer
Was that the Commander? Those cars were good performers with that V-8 in them. They rusted like crazy though in the wrong climate.

I don't remember which model, but my dad liked the car enough to tow it behind our '55 Ford station wagon when we moved from Connecticut to California in the summer of '59.

557224_10151898688204330_2105829422_n.jpg

Been working on cleaning the dashboard in my heavily-smoked-in Olds.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
557224_10151898688204330_2105829422_n.jpg

Been working on cleaning the dashboard in my heavily-smoked-in Olds.

It appears as if you may have removed the grain glaze from over the base coat on your dash board. The glaze coats will often dissolve when cleaned with an alkaline solution (ammonia, window cleaner, Formula 409) leaving behind a base coat of oragne-red or beige-pink lacquer.

Could be. I looked online, and the color was right, but they did have a woodgrain pattern, which was mostly missing before I cleaned the dash.

I plan on having it painted, so I'm none to worried about it.

The color is much more of a 'brown' in person.

It appears as if you may have removed the grain glaze from over the base coat on your dash board. The glaze coats will often dissolve when cleaned with an alkaline solution (ammonia, window cleaner, Formula 409) leaving behind a base coat of oragne-red or beige-pink lacquer.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Could be. I looked online, and the color was right, but they did have a woodgrain pattern, which was mostly missing before I cleaned the dash.

I plan on having it painted, so I'm none to worried about it.

The color is much more of a 'brown' in person.

If you wanted to go with restoring the woodgrain, someone was telling me about an easy way to do that using a rubber roller -- you carve some random stratiations into the surface with an exacto knife, roll it in some thinned black paint, and just roll it over the base coat. They used a similar method to paint these in the first place, and the results I've seen look pretty good.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to try that!

If you wanted to go with restoring the woodgrain, someone was telling me about an easy way to do that using a rubber roller -- you carve some random stratiations into the surface with an exacto knife, roll it in some thinned black paint, and just roll it over the base coat. They used a similar method to paint these in the first place, and the results I've seen look pretty good.

Talbot

One Too Many
It's been a hassle and has taken days! I'll be glad when it's all over lol

Is the dash in these welded in or screwed in?

If the dash was woodgrain, there should also be matching door mouldings etc also, although these are usually heavily worn on at least the drivers side.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto