Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Talbot

One Too Many
If you wanted to go with restoring the woodgrain, someone was telling me about an easy way to do that using a rubber roller -- you carve some random stratiations into the surface with an exacto knife, roll it in some thinned black paint, and just roll it over the base coat. They used a similar method to paint these in the first place, and the results I've seen look pretty good.

People that I know that have tried it say its quite an art to get right on curved metal mouldings.

Done properly it looks spectacular.

Not sure about how it's fastened in.

The mouldings are all woodgrained and have very little wear. The interior, in general, is not very worn.

Is the dash in these welded in or screwed in?

If the dash was woodgrain, there should also be matching door mouldings etc also, although these are usually heavily worn on at least the drivers side.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I discovered Mr. Gasket baby moons will fit. Pics soon.

null_zps74e85f69.jpg

I also picked up a pair of '47-'49 bright metal gravel shields to replace the dowdy rubber ones on there now.

Alas, the bright-metal gravel shields attach slightly differently than the rubber, so that will probably wait until spring. I may actually retain a body shop to do the installation to make sure it's done right.

Bad news on the car - I've been having issues with the rear brakes grabbing too hard and sometimes not wanting to release. Yesterday morning they locked up entirely and, while I can get them to release, they re-lock every time I touch the pedal. The car is parked where you see it above until I can push it into the garage and get the drums off.

Did a lot of polishing on the Olds today with my dad and brother:

1395140_10151916235734330_1611519915_n.jpg

Coming along nicely:

1395871_10151916443094330_62956626_n.jpg

Also, got in contact with the DMV and my dealer's license paperwork is on its way.

Stayed late at the shop tonight working on the car and got a nice photo of the place at dusk.

1381500_10151916510534330_1152810850_n.jpg

Did a lot of polishing on the Olds today with my dad and brother:
Coming along nicely:

1395871_10151916443094330_62956626_n.jpg

Also, got in contact with the DMV and my dealer's license paperwork is on its way.

Stayed late at the shop tonight working on the car and got a nice photo of the place at dusk.
Man! I bet your arms feel like they are going to fall off after polishing that much. It made a heck of a difference though. You revived that paint fairly well. Can't wait to see it finished. :D

I certainly cannot take all the credit. My brother and dad did a ton of it.

I can't wait until it's finished. I wanna take it for a spin before the snow flies!

Man! I bet your arms feel like they are going to fall off after polishing that much. It made a heck of a difference though. You revived that paint fairly well. Can't wait to see it finished. :D

Talbot

One Too Many
null_zps74e85f69.jpg

Alas, the bright-metal gravel shields attach slightly differently than the rubber, so that will probably wait until spring. I may actually retain a body shop to do the installation to make sure it's done right.

Bad news on the car - I've been having issues with the rear brakes grabbing too hard and sometimes not wanting to release. Yesterday morning they locked up entirely and, while I can get them to release, they re-lock every time I touch the pedal. The car is parked where you see it above until I can push it into the garage and get the drums off.

Have a chat with Lizzie Maine. She had a similar problem with her Plodge.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Have a chat with Lizzie Maine. She had a similar problem with her Plodge.

My problem was a misadjusted master cylinder piston -- the relief port was blocked so that the brake pressure couldn't escape. Result, four-wheel lockup.

If it's only your rear brakes that are doing this, it sounds like it might be something in the wheel cylinders themselves. New cylinders or rebuilding the old ones might be the prescription for that.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
RE the Studebaker brake problem. One clue is that it affects both back brakes and neither front brake. This suggests the flex hose between the chassis and rear axle is defective.

Sometimes they deteriorate from the inside and a flap or chunk of rubber comes loose and acts as a one way valve, allowing you to apply the brakes but preventing them from releasing.

Another possibility is a rusty handbrake cable not releasing.

Or by a coincidence both sides are coated in axle grease or brake fluid which makes them grabby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ