Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Well, the problem was what I thought it was. I just went to Timmy for a second opinion. He's gonna help me out on the project and all will be well. You all know how many cars I go through. I'll go broke buying manuals for them all!
You could buy an old MoToR Repair Manual or Chilton (I prefer MoToR). They cover all makes for a period of 10 years or more. Not as complete as the factory manual, or as detailed, but they cover the common stuff and you only need one for each decade.

My dad has them, as does my mechanic, so we're covered there.

You could buy an old MoToR Repair Manual or Chilton (I prefer MoToR). They cover all makes for a period of 10 years or more. Not as complete as the factory manual, or as detailed, but they cover the common stuff and you only need one for each decade.

It's one I'm good at, though!

Remember Tom, Supervisor is the hardest job! :D

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Pics of this please! What are the plans for it?

This is the plan:

24463F4C-3CCF-4740-9C97-E8B599ACA469_zpsqbz6ik22.jpg

I've been doubly blessed in this category. The mechanic is a good friend of mine, with more tools than any person I've ever met. He just brings his own. Can't argue with that!

Just be sure you count all the wrenches at the end of every shift. Hired mechanics often have sticky fingers -- I have seen this first hand.

Congrats, Dave! I saw that on Facebook, but thought you were joking, due to your recent acquisition.

No pics yet, but last night I finally dragged home a '27 Ford touring car body.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Congrats, Dave! I saw that on Facebook, but thought you were joking, due to your recent acquisition.

You mean the Studebaker? That was more of an accident than anything - although I’m really loving it. I’ve been trying to get my hands on this body for probably six months now, and the fellow that had it finally decided to pass it along this week. I didn’t waste any time getting it home.

The “T” is a very long-term project, though. I acquired the frame I have about ten years ago from a fellow I know in Muskegon. It left Dearborn under this car:

The next item I picked up was a ‘39 Dodge truck steering wheel because it resembles the V8 Ford wheel in the Multy Aldrich car:

gowjob.jpg

The engine (from a ‘28 Chevy), I acquired via eBay about three years ago down in Howell. I picked up a “T” front axle for a buck a about a year-and-a-half back (seller shipped it postage due, though :eusa_doh: ), and six months later also managed to hunt down a pair of ‘26-‘27 “T” spindles. Since then, pair of “A” front hubs came to me from a friend who pulled apart an old utility trailer for the ‘32 pickup box - he also gave me a ‘45 (no typo, very early post-war civilian production) Ford big-truck steering column, and box.

I also have various other Model A bits and a ‘29 Chevy radiator shell that may or may not be incorporated into the final build. I’m trying to keep my parts pile mostly pre-1930 and shooting for a circa 1932-34 build style.

1925ChevroletSpurgin1942.jpg

null_zpsb9db9f4d.jpg

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Had the fuel pump replaced on the Plodge today -- it had started to huff a bit going uphill, and was starting hard, so the handwriting was on the wall. What was supposed to be a simple drive across town to the garage was complicated this morning by our first snowfall of the season. I hadn't driven a rear-wheel-drive in the snow for about 30 years, but after a couple of fishtails going up the street I got the hang of it again.

But that's the end of the driving season for this year -- it's got Stabil in the tank and tomorrow I'll be taking out the battery and putting it down cellar until spring.

Total mileage for this year: 1309 miles, mostly since August.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
This is the plan:

24463F4C-3CCF-4740-9C97-E8B599ACA469_zpsqbz6ik22.jpg

Have you the Fronty head? Going to use a stock planetary transmission with a Jack-rabbit clutch or a three-speed sliding gear rig such as a Himico or a Cronk? Accessory counterbalanced "T" crankshaft or one of the heavier Model A or Model C crank? Love the Dayton wire wheels on the machine in your photo!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Have you the Fronty head? Going to use a stock planetary transmission with a Jack-rabbit clutch or a three-speed sliding gear rig such as a Himico or a Cronk? Accessory counterbalanced "T" crankshaft or one of the heavier Model A or Model C crank? Love the Dayton wire wheels on the machine in your photo!

Ah, while my computer was down you posted your intentions. So it is not going to be all Ford with speed accessories made for the Ford, then, is it?

When I was young I built a Fronty-Ford machine, with a repro Morton and Brett body. Fronty Type R head, Himico trans, Buffalo clincher wire wheels, Stromberg carb, Splitdorf magneto ignition, full pressure oiling, Sure-Mike counterbalanced crank, and Ross Cam and Lever steering, fitted with a repro Morton and Brett "Speedway" body and home-made cycle-type fenders. The car ran well, was fast for a Flivver, but was never as trouble-free as my stock '27 coupe, nor was it as trouble-free.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
The theme is going to be more "built from junk" than "speed parts". I'm taking great pleasure in puzzling out how to get all the disparate pieces to work together in a cohesive whole.

The Chevy engine came to me by chance - it was on eBay semi-locally and my lowball bid was the only one. I like it because it does resemble an early overhead conversion on a T block. Immediately afterward, and for less money, I found a 1929 Hupmobile six cylinder nearby - so it nearly ended up with a truly oddball powerplant!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner