Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Love your plans for it David.

Thanks! I love to think about it and hunt for parts. Sometimes I get down that I don't have more time and resources to devote to it, but I also love that it's a very low-pressure project when compared with the Falcons and Studebaker.

I would like to have it on the road by the time my oldest daughter graduates high school - she's class of '25.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Had the fuel pump replaced on the Plodge today -- it had started to huff a bit going uphill, and was starting hard, so the handwriting was on the wall. What was supposed to be a simple drive across town to the garage was complicated this morning by our first snowfall of the season. I hadn't driven a rear-wheel-drive in the snow for about 30 years, but after a couple of fishtails going up the street I got the hang of it again.

But that's the end of the driving season for this year -- it's got Stabil in the tank and tomorrow I'll be taking out the battery and putting it down cellar until spring.

Total mileage for this year: 1309 miles, mostly since August.

Next summer will be all pleasure with a brand new motor and all the bugs worked out.

Mr.Astor

Banned
Glad to hear their is a spot for vintage cars. I'm new to the lounge so I am still working my way through this,I'll probably make a few blunders hope you guys help me out! As for parts I'm a British car guy have lot's of parts for Austin Healey or MG Midget as we call them Spridget parts. Classic cars in the barn 1952 Jaguar XK120 FHC,1954 Jaguar XK120 OTS, 1967 Jaguar E-Type coupe,1962 Austin Healey Sprite,1972 Austin Mini Cooper 1275 cc. Any help I could provide on my limited knowledge I will provide. Glad I found this place,I bought a few old hat's and this opened up a whole new world!

It's a small world!! Unless you have to paint it!

Glad to hear their is a spot for vintage cars. I'm new to the lounge so I am still working my way through this,I'll probably make a few blunders hope you guys help me out! As for parts I'm a British car guy have lot's of parts for Austin Healey or MG Midget as we call them Spridget parts. Classic cars in the barn 1952 Jaguar XK120 FHC,1954 Jaguar XK120 OTS, 1967 Jaguar E-Type coupe,1962 Austin Healey Sprite,1972 Austin Mini Cooper 1275 cc. Any help I could provide on my limited knowledge I will provide. Glad I found this place,I bought a few old hat's and this opened up a whole new world!

It's a small world!! Unless you have to paint it!

A few XK120s!? Wow! I have always wanted one of those but could never justify the expense---and the whole Lucas thing. You must enjoy the heck out of those. I would. :p

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
This is the plan:

24463F4C-3CCF-4740-9C97-E8B599ACA469_zpsqbz6ik22.jpg

Here's a sketch kindly whipped up last week by Clayton "Mr. Model T" Paddison:

1926forddrawingflipped_zps2a81aa29.png

This is exactly as I described to him except for a Duesy-inspired dual exhaust in lieu of the Lakes Style header I originally planned. I like this better, frankly.

Now, I need to find a Model A rear axle, a "T" spring, and an extra rear crossmember.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's positively spring-like here today -- sunny and 37 degrees, and my driveway is free of ice for the first time since November. So I just woke the Plodge up from its hibernation and took it out for the first drive of 2014-- just a quick run around the bend to burn off the moisture and get the juices flowing. Didn't go much beyond 30 mph due to the potholes and frost heaves, but everything seems to be running fine.

Anybody else getting in any off-season driving?

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
You are lucky, we still have plenty of ice and snow from the January and December snow storms with more snow and freezing rain today.

This will be the first of many nice drives you have this year.

Glad you got to enjoy it Lizzie. One of the upsides to living in the deep south is that we can enjoy the cars year round. Of course, on the rare occasion there is snow and ice, we end up with the kind of disaster that we had last week.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... Anybody else getting in any off-season driving?

I try to get my '48 Plymouth, '61 Chevy, and '65 Ford out at least once a week for a short drive. If the weather is bad (i.e. snow, ice, or SALT on the road), I at least let the engine warm up while sitting in the drive. I've been driving the '65 Ford more than usual lately. I really enjoy riding in that car. I guess I'm kind of used to the car, since I've been driving it since 1983.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It's positively spring-like here today -- sunny and 37 degrees, and my driveway is free of ice for the first time since November. So I just woke the Plodge up from its hibernation and took it out for the first drive of 2014-- just a quick run around the bend to burn off the moisture and get the juices flowing. Didn't go much beyond 30 mph due to the potholes and frost heaves, but everything seems to be running fine.

Anybody else getting in any off-season driving?

You are lucky Lizzie. It's cold, and the streets are a mess. Even if it was clear, it's to cold to try and start my 1930 Harley V, straight 60 weight is thicker then frozen molasses when it's cold!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy