Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
If it only wasn't for the damn chemicals on the road I could do more driving. With that stuff, my cars would look like this in no time....

View attachment 9455

duct_tape_i_can_fix_anything_post_cards-r45bc365d60174c12a097578665de4e9f_vgbaq_8byvr_512_zps5c1d6ed3.jpg

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I've the chance to pick up a 1991 Cadillac Sedan DeVille out of an estate. Machine has fewer than seventy thousand miles, and appears to be nice shape, save for being dusty. The estate is that of the original purchaser, and the car comes with complete documentation of all service work since new. I was attracted to the Cadillac becaus it has a frame and would work for occasional towing of a small trailer, and it will be relatively inexpensive.

Our modern machine, a 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe, has gotten to be a bit long in the tooth, as she now has 435,687 miles on her. She will be needing some moderately expensive front end work in the very near future, and as good as she's been to us lo these past eighteen years, I think that the time has come to retire her. We're to nearly as well-heeled as we were years ago, besides which I'm now reluctant to spend any considerable sum on anything made after 1930 (have my eye on a '24 Cleveland sedan).

What should I watch out for? Any weak spots? Is this a generally well-designed car or is it a lemon? I find it to be ugly as a mud fence, but then I like Flivvers, so what would I know.

I've the chance to pick up a 1991 Cadillac Sedan DeVille out of an estate. Machine has fewer than seventy thousand miles, and appears to be nice shape, save for being dusty. The estate is that of the original purchaser, and the car comes with complete documentation of all service work since new. I was attracted to the Cadillac becaus it has a frame and would work for occasional towing of a small trailer, and it will be relatively inexpensive.

Our modern machine, a 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe, has gotten to be a bit long in the tooth, as she now has 435,687 miles on her. She will be needing some moderately expensive front end work in the very near future, and as good as she's been to us lo these past eighteen years, I think that the time has come to retire her. We're to nearly as well-heeled as we were years ago, besides which I'm now reluctant to spend any considerable sum on anything made after 1930 (have my eye on a '24 Cleveland sedan).

What should I watch out for? Any weak spots? Is this a generally well-designed car or is it a lemon? I find it to be ugly as a mud fence, but then I like Flivvers, so what would I know.

You are going to use an under powered front wheel drive car to haul something?! What?
Those things are pretty damned ugly for sure.
For me to even think about that then the body and frame would have to be immaculate and rust free. It would have to be nearly free too. Any front wheel drive car costs a fortune to have front end work done to it so make sure that is perfect as well or you will be back to where you are now.
If you want a hauler of that brand then I would want a Cadillac Brougham with the 350 in it not a puny 4.9L. Then again, that is just my opinion after owning quite a few Cadillac over the years.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
You are going to use an under powered front wheel drive car to haul something?! What?
Those things are pretty damned ugly for sure.
For me to even think about that then the body and frame would have to be immaculate and rust free. It would have to be nearly free too. Any front wheel drive car costs a fortune to have front end work done to it so make sure that is perfect as well or you will be back to where you are now.
If you want a hauler of that brand then I would want a Cadillac Brougham with the 350 in it not a puny 4.9L. Then again, that is just my opinion after owning quite a few Cadillac over the years.

Thanks for giving the benefit of your experience. I'd really rather hold out for an example of the Ford "Panther" platform, a Town Car, or a Marquis or even a Crown Vic if the machine was clean enough. These machines, however sell for something of a premium in the "Post-Cash-For-Clunkers" age.

Now I tow a light trailer these days, never more than a couple of thousand pounds, and don't do it often, perhaps once a month, and never have to tow further than a hundred miles.

I had not really thought of the car as front wheel drive. I can hardly imagine a 200 HP machine as being underpowered. How heavy is that car?

Now when I said "Relatively inexpensive", I meant "dirt cheap". It has been offered to us by the executrix of the estate in exchange for our appraisal services, which we have billed at $870.00 (about twenty-two hours of work).

Thanks for giving the benefit of your experience. I'd really rather hold out for an example of the Ford "Panther" platform, a Town Car, or a Marquis or even a Crown Vic if the machine was clean enough. These machines, however sell for something of a premium in the "Post-Cash-For-Clunkers" age.

Now I tow a light trailer these days, never more than a couple of thousand pounds, and don't do it often, perhaps once a month, and never have to tow further than a hundred miles.

I had not really thought of the car as front wheel drive. I can hardly imagine a 200 HP machine as being underpowered. How heavy is that car?

Now when I said "Relatively inexpensive", I meant "dirt cheap". It has been offered to us by the executrix of the estate in exchange for our appraisal services, which we have billed at $870.00 (about twenty-two hours of work).

Take the money. I wouldn’t give them more than $500 for that.
200 HP for a FWD is not enough to tow. You have to remember you are pulling AND turning with that. Also run away from it if it has the notorious Northstar engine in it. The dang things have head gasket problems---not to mention head bolt problems.
All I know is that I wouldn’t want to depend on that to tow a trailer 100 miles. Forgetaboutit.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up

You know that I'm generally quite happy when driving a 22HP Flivver, don't you?

Here in Michigan those old Crown Vic Interceptor police cars have a cachet all out of proportion to their true value. I remember looking at a 2006 machine with more than 200,000 on the clock for which the sellers that you posted wanted more than $6,000. At that price I'll drive the Flivver and rent a pickup when I need to do any hauling. Heck, I know of a nicely restored TT One Ton for that money. unfortunately it has a 7.65:1 worm drive rear end, and so winds out at around 20, but it has a nice steel closed cab and a factory flat bed.

Not practical. But as you noted, neither would be the Cadillac. thanks for warning me off, OM!

You could pull a small trailer with this, and be okay. How small of a trailer are you talking?

If you're pulling something heavy, I'd recommend one of the Brougham's with the 350 and the 7,000 lb tow-rating.

If you're pulling nothing more than an 8 foot utility trailer with some plywood on it, or a 14 foot Alumicraft boat, the Sedan DeVille will do the job just fine.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab

Much as I like Cadillacs, by the early 90s their quality has slipped quite a few notches. Engines iffy, wiring gremlins, lots of problems.

You should also know that 1) it does not have a frame, it is a unit body car and 2) this has absolutely no effect on its ability as a tow vehicle. A unit construction body is actually stronger than a body on frame car.

If you are lucky and do minimal maintenance that car might last quite a few years, but you want to get it cheap enough that you can afford to junk it if it needs major work.

As far as towing goes, how big of a trailer? If you mean a small baggage trailer or tent trailer you can tow one of those with almost any vehicle.

If you mean a small canned ham type travel trailer the Cad will handle it OK if it is set up right. There are a few tricks to towing with a modern front drive car but nothing very complicated or expensive.

Anything bigger and you should rethink your choice of tow vehicle. Not necessarily to a bigger vehicle, but one better suited to towing. Cadillac has not been a top choice for tow vehicles for a long time.

You could pull a small trailer with this, and be okay. How small of a trailer are you talking?

If you're pulling something heavy, I'd recommend one of the Brougham's with the 350 and the 7,000 lb tow-rating.

If you're pulling nothing more than an 8 foot utility trailer with some plywood on it, or a 14 foot Alumicraft boat, the Sedan DeVille will do the job just fine.

You can haul a trailer with it if you want to change the front tires every few thousand miles. Pulling and turning will mess up the tires like crazy. I know my Eldorado with the big 500 in it goes through tires without hauling anything. lol lol
The Brougham is your hauler.:p

You know that I'm generally quite happy when driving a 22HP Flivver, don't you?

Here in Michigan those old Crown Vic Interceptor police cars have a cachet all out of proportion to their true value. I remember looking at a 2006 machine with more than 200,000 on the clock for which the sellers that you posted wanted more than $6,000. At that price I'll drive the Flivver and rent a pickup when I need to do any hauling. Heck, I know of a nicely restored TT One Ton for that money. unfortunately it has a 7.65:1 worm drive rear end, and so winds out at around 20, but it has a nice steel closed cab and a factory flat bed.

Not practical. But as you noted, neither would be the Cadillac. thanks for warning me off, OM!

Interesting. Crown Vics are cheap here. Hmmmmm...

This is a new one by me, I have heard the opposite all my life. That's part of why Trucks are still full-frame, or at least that's what I've always been told.

Stanley Doble;1756492 You should also know that 1) it does not have a frame said:
I think there's something wrong with your Eldorado. My brother's car is front-drive and he has no such problems.

I refuse to tow with my Brougham, though it could haul plenty. I've got a 2500HD Big Block Chevy for that.

You can haul a trailer with it if you want to change the front tires every few thousand miles. Pulling and turning will mess up the tires like crazy. I know my Eldorado with the big 500 in it goes through tires without hauling anything. lol lol
The Brougham is your hauler.:p

They used to be here, they're still reasonable, but when Ford discontinued the Panther Platform, and the PD's stopped auctioning them off for peanuts, the price went up.

Interesting. Crown Vics are cheap here. Hmmmmm...

I think there's something wrong with your Eldorado. My brother's car is front-drive and he has no such problems.

I refuse to tow with my Brougham, though it could haul plenty. I've got a 2500HD Big Block Chevy for that.

They used to be here, they're still reasonable, but when Ford discontinued the Panther Platform, and the PD's stopped auctioning them off for peanuts, the price went up.

Nothing wrong with it. I just had the whole front end rebuilt. The problem is that huge engine sitting right on top of the tires. :p Then if you added towing a load behind it, it would be a mess. Turning, pulling and hauling just isn’t what a front wheel drive does well. That is exactly why you use a rear wheel drive truck instead. :p Making a luxury car haul a trailer just doesn’t seem to go together. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass