Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Cars

GHT

I'll Lock Up
This week I did up HG's wheels in black. Very pleased with the result.

View attachment 616273
Looking good Scotty. Those wheels bring back a reminisce. When I was in the market for a classic car I hankered after one of those little MG sports cars that you always see a Spitfire pilot driving in war movies.

mgtd.jpg

Now my lady wasn't against the idea, however she did point out that her being asthmatic, airborne pollen and open top cars weren't exactly a sensible mix.

Jessica-on-the-Quay-2.jpg

The solution, a hard top version. That's how we come to enjoy having a classic MG.
The reason that your wheels brought back that reminisce is the wheels on both of the above MG's. How I loved the little car's wire wheels. That is until one day, at some classic show somewhere, I saw a car with wire wheels that had suffered from that day's weather. The car owner told me that it took the best part of two hours to get wire wheels looking pristine, then just one drive later and they are filthy again. Do you know, the wheels on my car don't look too bad after all. Ten minutes with soap, water and the hosepipe and they are good to go.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Looking good Scotty. Those wheels bring back a reminisce. When I was in the market for a classic car I hankered after one of those little MG sports cars that you always see a Spitfire pilot driving in war movies.

View attachment 616316

Now my lady wasn't against the idea, however she did point out that her being asthmatic, airborne pollen and open top cars weren't exactly a sensible mix.

View attachment 616317

The solution, a hard top version. That's how we come to enjoy having a classic MG.
The reason that your wheels brought back that reminisce is the wheels on both of the above MG's. How I loved the little car's wire wheels. That is until one day, at some classic show somewhere, I saw a car with wire wheels that had suffered from that day's weather. The car owner told me that it took the best part of two hours to get wire wheels looking pristine, then just one drive later and they are filthy again. Do you know, the wheels on my car don't look too bad after all. Ten minutes with soap, water and the hosepipe and they are good to go.

Somewhere way back in this thread are shots of my car with white wheels.

When I did them that color I liked it, but sometimes ya just want a change of pace. haha

Truth be told, I've always loved black steelies, so HG got the treatment. :)

^^^^^
My GT6 had wire wheels when I bought it. I was happy to swap them out for stamped steel wheels. The bolts that held the splined hubs were an exact fit for the replacements, so it was an easy swap. I sold the wire wheels and splined hubs and knockoffs to a guy restoring his car.

“All vehicles required to bring a drip tray.”

Among the many joys of vintage car ownership.

Back when I was a pump jockey, checking oil was routine, because most cars of the era with more than a few miles under their bias plies burned and/or leaked oil. It wasn’t uncommon for an acceptably good running car to use a quart of oil for every tank of gas.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
“All vehicles required to bring a drip tray.”

Among the many joys of vintage car ownership.
Why cars are often given female gender I'll never know, but somehow the MG has become the grand old lady. When asked by one of the officials: "Do you have a drip tray?" Tina's response brought a few smiles: "Drip-tray?" She scolded, "drip-tray," she repeated, and then informed them that, "this old Dowager has no such vulgar item as a drip-tray," "she has a commode!"

sola fide

One of the Regulars
My first car was a 47 Plymouth Special Deluxe, broken most of the time because I was broke. Ive since picked up a 52 Chevy Styleline Deluxe followed by my red 38 Chevrolet Master Deluxe town sedan followed by a 48 Dodge Club coupe. In between 30s-40s I picked up a 60 Impala(white with red accent but it didn't fit my 30s inspired wardrobe so I sold it and now own a 38 Chevrolet Master Sport Sedan. A convertible mid 30s convertible is my dream car.

Attachments

• IMG_1370.jpeg
    IMG_1370.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 12
  • 60 imp.jpg
    60 imp.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 48 dodge in garage.jpg
    48 dodge in garage.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 52 chevy.jpg
    52 chevy.jpg