Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Casual wear - hosiery question

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I'm starting to wear more vintage-styled clothing as my everyday wear (30s-inspired dresses and skirts). Besides wearing the full fashioned stockings, that I really enjoy wearing, what other options are there? I remember seeing photos of gals in the 30s wearing oxford-like shoes and short white socks--or was that relegated to the younger set? My grandmother used to wear her everyday "farm" dress with some type of plain shoes and white socks. She would only get out her good stockings for church and special occasions. I was just wondering what type of shoes and hose would of been worn for casual wear, particularly in the 30s. I'm sure that not all of the ladies of that era could afford a lot of stockings. If you can steer me to some info about this, I'd really appreciate it!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I tend to wear hose' opaque tights on my reg. days, or, if my skirt is long enough, knee high trouser socks. I love all the herringbone and argyle patterns that I can get :) If I have on slacks (rarely now) I go with my white comffy socks, cause' no one can see them :eek:

As for shoes, I tend to wear flat Mary Janes or a nice oxford. I dont like open toe shoes much.

Id suggest trouser socks, you can get a lot of milage out of them, and if htey are long enough, almostwear them like hose.

LD

Tourbillion

Practically Family
As long as your legs aren't cold, go ahead and wear socks for casual dress.

My family members even wore socks with sandals in the 30's and 40's. You could also get the cotton stockings from Vermont country store for cold days.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I tend to wear bobby socks and either saddles or penny loafers when I'm in casual mode -- period appropriate and very comfy!

I've worn the old-fashioned cotton stockings with oxfords on occasion as well, especially during the winter months, but be warned -- they do tend to bag and aren't the most flattering hosiery there is. Nice and warm though!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Shoes to wear with white cotten socks?

I've worn cotton stockings before--they're not as stylish as the nylon ones, but they are warm. What type of shoes would be appropriate for a more "middle-aged" 30s look, as for wearing around the home? All I've got is my memories of my grandmother in some type of oxford lace-up shoes with low heels or sometimes loafers. I've got wide and flat feet, so its hard to find comfortable shoes. I was looking for something that I could wear around the house working and not have to worry about ruining a good pair of nylons.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have exactly the shoes you're talking about -- brown leather cap-toe oxfords with a chunky 1 1/2 inch heel. There was a trend a few years back for "tailored shoes", and Nine West came out with a style that was *exactly* what my grandmother used to wear with housedresses.

oxford.jpg

I found mine at the Salvation Army for $2 -- so it might be worth checking such places. These sorts of shoes were all over the place in the late '90s, but they don't seem to be as common now...

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
I have exactly the shoes you're talking about -- brown leather cap-toe oxfords with a chunky 1 1/2 inch heel. There was a trend a few years back for "tailored shoes", and Nine West came out with a style that was *exactly* what my grandmother used to wear with housedresses.

oxford.jpg

I found mine at the Salvation Army for $2 -- so it might be worth checking such places. These sorts of shoes were all over the place in the late '90s, but they don't seem to be as common now...

Love the photo LizzieMaine! And the hose with the cuban heel to boot!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I just looked for some similar shoes, and found some, but not in my size (7 wide). But I did find this one. Not inexpensive, but well-padded, comfy and U.S. made.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Paisley, thanks for the shoe link--some really neat stuff. I thought I had scoured the US already for shoe companies. I have narrow ankles too, so slip-on styles don't work well for me. But I really like your shoes, LizzieMaine. The lace-up part goes way up the foot and I think I could actually keep those on. I've seen similar vintage-styled shoes, but the lace-up part is farther down and the shoes fit more like a slip-on or pump and don't work for my weird feet--the ankle slips in the back, even with an extra "pad" on the heel. I regularly check our local thrift stores, but you're right, the "good" stuff is few and far between! I'll just keep my out for "granny shoes". Certainly, some shoe company is still making them.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
OOOOH, I like the 2nd ones. Thanks, Miss Dottie, for the suggestions. The first pair looked like the toes were more squared. Didn't the shoes in the 30s have more rounded toes than square? I think I'll have to mosey on over to Zappos and see what they have. It looks like vintage-inspired shoes are some of the trends for fall. Finally!

magneto

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
I have exactly the shoes you're talking about -- brown leather cap-toe oxfords with a chunky 1 1/2 inch heel.
I found mine at the Salvation Army for $2 -- so it might be worth checking such places.

I second this statement! This is the only type of heeled shoe I can wear and I have several "fancy" pairs (Armani, Bruno Magli) all from thrift stores!
They come up on ebay often too. Look for "Red Cross"--they were a brand that had a lot of "sensible" shoes.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I love those shoes, Lizzie! I have several pair of that style in brown and in black. They were very popular in the late 90s - I've got a couple pair of Nine West, Rockport, and one pair of Ann Taylor. Thrift stores or ebay would be a good source. I just typed in "brown lace oxford" and got quite a few results for under $10.

I know of several reenactors who have bought these:
http://www.fittedshoe.com/CLINIC_SHOES/ccoquette.htm

http://www.womensshoes.com/shoeshop/customer/product.php?productid=17398&cat=384&page=1

http://www.supportplus.com/product_detail.cfm?STYLE=CL480

$84 is a little bit high! What Price Glory sells a reproduction women's WAC shoe that is the style you want, but they are around the same price:
http://www.whatpriceglory.com/pic/WACshoes.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy