Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Concealed Weapons

Highlander

A-List Customer
Howdy BF:

I'd agree... I've never used them. And that key chain kubotan is handy and if it's all you had it'd be good.

But, if I were looking for self defense.. Brass Knuckles wouldn't be it. I remember when my Dad found out I had them. He didn't take them away from me, but instead he gave me this advice.

"Don't ever pull anything out of your pocket you aren't big enough to eat". \

Darned good advice. Oddly enough my friends and I weren't thugs or gang members, but foot ball players and "pre" engineering students.

But since then, I have seen them used a time or two. Devastating, very damaging.

My thought again.. If my life is in danger. I am pulling my .45. And if it's serious enough that I have to pull it, I plan to use it.

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
I've been jumped my fair share of times. Back when I was twelve or thirteen, it was by a group of kids 17 and up. Once, one of them pulled brass as I was trying to leave a show. Ran as fast as I could and never looked back. Steel toed boots I can handle, the people wearing 'em don't know how to kick anyhow. But man are knuckles intimidating.

Highlander

A-List Customer
John Bianchi - Concealled Carry

I don't know if any of you have seen this, but I found the photos of Bianchi in his concealled carry poster of the 80's.
ConcealedCarrypage1S-vi.jpg

ConcealedCarrypage2S-vi.jpg

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
Holster schmolster. ;)

353595475.jpg

The original purpose of the shroud wasn't so much to prevent the hammer spur from snagging on the draw out of your jacket pocket....your thumb should be doing that....but to allow firing from inside the pocket without the pocket lining interfering.

When confronted by two opponents, the draw out of the pocket is made against the farthest because the closest opponent is already on his way down.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Bob, a nice snub nose, I'd like to have that little pistol.

Deacon... About John Bianichi's poster. I found where I'd saved it several years ago in a folder on my computer. I still can't find it anywhere on the net anymore.

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
Highlander said:
.... I'd like to have that little pistol.

Detective Special, Cobra, Agent, Commando.....there are still plenty of them around. Spend the $600 or so it takes to get a pristine one however, as hands and cranes often need replacing on the heavily-used and abused specimens.

353616863.jpg

For those who like vintage shoulder holsters, Hermann Heiser of Denver made some of the first....and best....like for this old Smith Triple Lock.

http://muzzleloaders-etcetera.com/heiser.htm

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
If I could ever find a decent supply of high rise pants (jeans, chinos, or anything else) that are baggy enough, I'd carry my 1949-ish S&W 2" M&P in my pocket. As it is, with most of my pants, I can barely cram a Chief's special in my pocket...and it looks like I have a Chief's Special in my pocket. Sure, I can conceal just about anything while wearing a jacket, but, 8 months out of the year around here, a jacket is pretty much out of the question.

Here in the great state of Kentucky, they recognize the right of the individual to openly carry firearms, and I do so on rare occasion. All in classicly styled leather.
Faithful1.jpg

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Here's the ca 1949 .38 M&P. I need to find someone to put in a new cyl. stop...it's a bit looser than I'd like, but otherwise it's pretty nice.
38-a.jpg

Here's the pocket holster I made for my Chief's Special (I also bobbed the hammer, smoothed the trigger, and made the handle...and yes, "handle" is an appropriate term!)
Pocket1.jpg

DeaconKC

One Too Many
A K frame Smith with honest use. What an incredible action they possess. Even the stainless ones are usually very nice.
dutch, I like the holster you made, but I love those stocks! What type of wood is that?

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Sugar maple. Cut off the end of a stock blank.

The pocket holster took probably 20 minutes to make. It's a simple thing.

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
Fatdutchman said:
.... I need to find someone to put in a new cyl. stop...it's a bit looser than I'd like, but otherwise it's pretty nice.....

353817056.jpg

The hand wears long before the cylinder stop does, and both are components of tight timing. Although with the trigger held fully back the Smith design will have some minor cylinder play where the Colt won't. A sprung crane or ejector rod from snapping the cylinder closed can also be a culprit, especially on a Colt. You need range rods to check.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/productdetail.aspx?p=655

If accuracy off sandbags is still good, it may not need any work at all. Otherwise, for quick turnaround:

http://www.briley.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=15

DeaconKC

One Too Many
One other warning! If you remove the sideplate from a revolver, DO NOT PRY IT! Bang on the other side with a rubber mallet until it pops loose. They are very tightly fitted and prying will bugger up the fit.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Good Morning Deacon:

I have a Cold Steel Spike. If those swords are anything like the spike. They are so sharp they are scary... Really, would be a fantastic defensive weapon.

The old timer detectives would keep a full speed loader for their revolver in their jacket pocket so the weight of it would allow them to toss / swing the jacket out of the way when drawing from the on the belt holster.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
back on track....

i'm lucky that i didn't get my suits altered. just got a phone call that a new manual item for my division limits sidearm carry to strong side on belt only.

i actually prefer 10-11 o'clock crossdraw, or shoulder carry myself.

Erik

One of the Regulars
"The old timer detectives would keep a full speed loader for their revolver in their jacket pocket so the weight of it would allow them to toss / swing the jacket out of the way when drawing from the on the belt holster."

That's how is still more or less done among the "new timer detectives," too. Granted is usually not a speed loader and a revolver, but a pair of keys, phone, whatever. As it turns out, I've two sets of keys, one which following an admittedly ridiculous amount of trial and error I have settled on as precisely the weight to facilitate my draw stroke.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
my neighbor growing up was retired NYPD (most of his career on a motorcycle). only thing he carried was a .22 Beretta.

when people made fun of it he'd say: "nobody want's to be shot, with anything, and it always looks bigger pointed at you."

Mike K.

One Too Many
Gee, it seems we're obsessed with hats and guns around here!

Any reason why all these threads shouldn't be consolidated into one?
...and many unrelated to the general theme of the FL deleted?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav